The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

QMU Attendance

Hi :smile:
Anyone studying at QMU here? Was wondering what is the attendance policy at this uni? From my previous degree I've learnt that I am horrible at learning by listening in lectures... Can you get kicked out if the attendance is low? I know they do register attendance.

Thanks
Attendance is registered by smart card, the system isn't perfect so you often have to sign in on paper as well.

I don't know what you are studying but the AHP (allied health professions - occupational therapy/physiotherapy/podiatry) require 80% or greater attendance to be allowed to go on placement.

You are expected to attend all classes, in my lectures (OT) we are allowed to ask questions and sometimes have discussion sessions.

You should only miss classes if you are ill or attending a medical appointment (both require notifying the tutor). There is some leeway if somebody lives off campus and the weather is bad as long as they notify the tutor and they read through the lecture that was missed.

Most classes are quite small and the tutors do get to know everybody in the class so they would know if you were off.

The university does kick people out if they don't attend but this is after quite a few steps which are taken by the university, starting with the personal academic tutor (PAT) and the pastoral service so try to find out why the person is having issues with attending.

Here are two FAQ's

Attendance Policy and Electronic Register System

TL-DR - You need to attend all classes (lectures/seminars/practicals) and the university does record attendance using electronic and paper systems.
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by ladyasprin
Attendance is registered by smart card, the system isn't perfect so you often have to sign in on paper as well.

I don't know what you are studying but the AHP (allied health professions - occupational therapy/physiotherapy/podiatry) require 80% or greater attendance to be allowed to go on placement.

You are expected to attend all classes, in my lectures (OT) we are allowed to ask questions and sometimes have discussion sessions.

You should only miss classes if you are ill or attending a medical appointment (both require notifying the tutor). There is some leeway if somebody lives off campus and the weather is bad as long as they notify the tutor and they read through the lecture that was missed.

Most classes are quite small and the tutors do get to know everybody in the class so they would know if you were off.

The university does kick people out if they don't attend but this is after quite a few steps which are taken by the university, starting with the personal academic tutor (PAT) and the pastoral service so try to find out why the person is having issues with attending.

Here are two FAQ's

Attendance Policy and Electronic Register System

TL-DR - You need to attend all classes (lectures/seminars/practicals) and the university does record attendance using electronic and paper systems.

Thanks! That's very helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest