The Student Room Group

Anime beginner

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toscana
Yeah. The only difference between 7DS on Netflix and not on Netflix is that Netflix just made it look a tiny bit better and added a filler/non-canon season

Sobi l won't get confused if I just watched the Netflix version without any knowledge of the first?
Original post by Megan_Aylett
Soo many people watch anime shows now and it's super hyped.

But for someone like me, who doesn't watch it but is considering giving it a go, it can be a little intimidating and I just don't know where to start.

All the popular shows (like Dragon Ball Z) have been going on for years and have thousands of episodes. That's just too much and overwhelming.

What do you guys recommend for a beginner??

I use Netflix, there are lots of anime stuff on there. And I have amazon prime too.

I've always been into 'kids anime' - I am OBSESSED with Pokemon and I used to love stuff like Bakugan, if that helps.

Thank you.

Attack on Titan is a really good anime! Sword art online too! These two are my favourite animes to watch so in my opinion this is a good recommendation!
Violet Evergarden is a netflix production anime, which really moved my heart. please do give it a watch as well x
Sobi l won't get confused if I just watched the Netflix version without any knowledge of the first?

Netflix has the first series of The Seven Deadly Sins (obviously the best place to start!), as well as two sequel series and the movie. It does not currently have the 4th TV series, but is due to get it next month. :yes:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Netflix has the first series of The Seven Deadly Sins (obviously the best place to start!), as well as two sequel series and the movie. It does not currently have the 4th TV series, but is due to get it next month. :yes:

Thank you for clarifying! 💜
Original post by Quick-use
Have you watched any of the Pokémon movies? They're all really good. You might also enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon. Avatar: The Last Airbender isn't an anime but it's practically considered an honorary anime, and it's absolutely amazing. Would highly recommend! :rambo:

But for someone like me, who doesn't watch it but is considering giving it a go, it can be a little intimidating and I just don't know where to start.

All the popular shows (like Dragon Ball Z) have been going on for years and have thousands of episodes. That's just too much and overwhelming.

I use Netflix, there are lots of anime stuff on there. And I have amazon prime too.

I've always been into 'kids anime' - I am OBSESSED with Pokemon and I used to love stuff like Bakugan, if that helps.

Thank you.

Ive noticed a lot of people have mentioned Yu-Gi-Oh, however I would say with yugioh, there are about 6 different series.

the yugioh series I would recommend would be the japanese dub of 5ds due to its voice acting, characters, soundtrack, plot, themes of the show (read the themes of 5ds vs the other yugioh shows on wikipedia and you'll get why Ive recommended it). Sadly the engish dub butchers a lot of this and would avoid it like the plague.

honorable mentions for yugioh would be:

japanese dub of vrains (1st season is bad due to production issues, 2nd surprisingly good, 3rd starts of lame but climaxes nicely),

the original series in English (series which most are probably thinking of when it comes to yugioh, the main character and the villians are good, otherwise it is a bit weak compared to other yugioh series)

Zexal 2 (zexal is crap, everyone agrees on it, however zexal 2 is a tonally different show which has loads of character development and a much more serious / darker plot. sadly, this means you have to watch 100 episodes of zexal to get to zexal 2).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by quasa
Ive noticed a lot of people have mentioned Yu-Gi-Oh, however I would say with yugioh, there are about 6 different series. the yugioh series I would recommend would be the japanese dub of 5ds due to its voice acting, characters, soundtrack, plot, themes of the show (read the themes of 5ds vs the other yugioh shows on wikipedia and you'll get why Ive recommended it). Sadly the engish dub butchers a lot of this and would avoid it like the plague. honorable mentions for yugioh would be japanese dub of vrains (1st season is bad due to production issues, 2nd surprisingly good, 3rd starts of lame but climaxes nicely), the original series in English (series which most are probably thinking of when it comes to yugioh, the main character and the villians are good, otherwise it is a bit weak compared to other yugioh series) and the 2nd half of zexal (zexal is crap, everyone agrees on it, however zexal 2 is a tonally different show which has loads of character development and a much more serious / darker plot. sadly, this means you have to watch 100 episodes of zexal to get to zexal 2).

Thank you for taking your time out to explain this. When you say 5ds? What do you mean. Have I missed something 😂
Thank you for taking your time out to explain this. When you say 5ds? What do you mean. Have I missed something 😂

so there are 6 yugioh series (well technically 7 as a new one started in japan but is meant for real young kiddies, whereas the others are for teenagers / young adults). these are:

the original series (Yu-Gi-Oh! duel monsters),

Yugioh GX (standalone series set 10 years after the original series but does have some characters and themes from duel monsters),

5Ds (standalone series set 20 years after GX but doesnt require any prior knowledge of duel monsters or gx),

Zexal & Zexal 2 (standalone series in an alternate universe with no connections to previous series),

Arc-V (standalone series in alternate universe but has alternate universe versions of characters / locations from GX, 5Ds and Zexal)

Vrains (standalone series in alternate universe, no connections to other series).

by standalone series, I mean that it has its own self-contained story.
(edited 3 years ago)
Okay thank you that makes perfect sense now. Sounds similar to Bakugan in terms of seasons and layout of those
Okay thank you that makes perfect sense now. Sounds similar to Bakugan in terms of seasons and layout of those

your welcome. Like I said, japanese dub of 5ds is the one Id recommend out of the yugioh series.
surprised nobody has mentioned jojos bizarre adventure yet?

Thank you.

Attack on Titan
Death Note
Evangelion; Neon Genesis
Original post by Alesha1991
Attack on Titan
Death Note
Evangelion; Neon Genesis

Eva is overrated imo. If you want a high-school drama mecha series, I'd go with code geass or SEED (former's 1st season on Netflix, both on series on crunchy roll.With SEED, opt for the HD remaster, not the original)

If you want another super robot series, gurren lagan is far better than eva and is made by the makers of evangelion. Gurren lagan is on all4, Channel 4s streaming service
(edited 3 years ago)
What's Attack on Titan and also Death Note about?
What's Attack on Titan and also Death Note about?

Attack on Titan: Post-apocalyptic medieval-like setting with some steampunk elements, where humans have been forced to hide in a large, multi-walled city from the weird giants that roam outside.

Death Note: Genius high school kid finds a book which can kill anyone whose name he writes on its pages, and uses it to enforce his own style of justice. Soon turns into a battle of wits with an equally intelligent detective.
They both sound awesome!! Thanks!
There are some bangers with only 12 episodes so I recommend watching erased (for something more serious) or fire force and my hero academia (for ‘kids anime’)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Attack on Titan: Post-apocalyptic medieval-like setting with some steampunk elements, where humans have been forced to hide in a large, multi-walled city from the weird giants that roam outside.

Death Note: Genius high school kid finds a book which can kill anyone whose name he writes on its pages, and uses it to enforce his own style of justice. Soon turns into a battle of wits with an equally intelligent detective.

Those seem like such great options. Which one do you prefer from the top of your head?
Original post by quasa
Eva is overrated imo. If you want a high-school drama mecha series, I'd go with code geass or SEED (former's 1st season on Netflix, both on series on crunchy roll.With SEED, opt for the HD remaster, not the original)

If you want another super robot series, gurren lagan is far better than eva and is made by the makers of evangelion. Gurren lagan is on all4, Channel 4s streaming service

Do you prefer subs or dubs? I want to start watching anime and I feel like you would have a good judgment about this.
I highly recommend:
my hero academia
death note
attack on titan
jojo's bizarre adventure (a classic and fave of mine)
the disastrous life of saiki.
ghibli films (start with spirited away and ponyo)

Quick Reply

Latest