The Student Room Group

Anime beginner

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Synergy_
Those seem like such great options. Which one do you prefer from the top of your head?

Death Note would be my preference, but both are among my all-time favourites.

If it influences your decision at all, Death Note is fully complete, while Attack on Titan has 59 episodes out over multiple seasons (plenty to catch up on!), but the finale isn't due out until October this year.
Reply 41
Deathnote and Tokyo ghoul are my top 2, especially if you're a beginner.
Attack on titan - Humans are brought to the brink of extinction by Titans (man eating giants). You watch as humans fight back against the Titans.

Hunter x Hunter - When you first watch this show it may seem childlike, but it is anything but. The main character Gon, tries to find his dad.
The Promised Neverland -just watch this
Original post by HRobson_BMC
I'm not very well versed in anime myself, but from what I've seen on Netflix, Violet Evergarden, Attack on Titan, and Studio Ghibli seem to be good choices( though Studio Ghibli are more Japanese animated films than anime, per se). Neon Genesis Evangelion is also on Netflix; in my opinion it's good, but maybe a little daunting for a beginner. I wouldn't be able to round out the list without mentioning Hetalia, for history/geography fans. It was one of the first ones that I watched and it was very funny and lighthearted.

Evangelion is an anime I tend not to recommend to beginners. generally, I tell people if they want a beginner mech series, go for code geass, gurren lagann or an alternate universe gundam series like iron-blooded orphans, 00 or the HD remaster of SEED (code geass season 1 is on netflix, season 2 crunchyroll; gurren lagann is on all4; iron-blooded orphans netflix; 00 and SEED crunchyroll and youtube on the official youtube channel (gundaminfo, however crunchyroll has higher definition than youtube).
(edited 3 years ago)
not sure if you like comedy but I 100% recommend the Disastrous Life of Saiki K (it's on Netflix!). My sister watched one episode with me and ended up loving it, she watched all of it in a few days :tongue: it doesn't have a concrete story line though, so if you're looking for that as a beginner, then maybe start with something else!
Original post by turna127
not sure if you like comedy but I 100% recommend the Disastrous Life of Saiki K (it's on Netflix!). My sister watched one episode with me and ended up loving it, she watched all of it in a few days :tongue: it doesn't have a concrete story line though, so if you're looking for that as a beginner, then maybe start with something else!

Did you watch it dub or sub
Original post by meg_theartist
Did you watch it dub or sub

Sub all the way
Original post by HRobson_BMC
I can definitely see what you mean. I've never watched any of the others which you've mentioned...perhaps I'll give them a try sometime if I ever get around to it.

all of them are thematically different. with mecha, it tends to be classified as super robot and real robot. super robot anime tend to have mechas fighting aliens, clear good vs bad style scenarios and robots with superpowers (examples are evangelion, gurren lagann, darling in the franxx). real robot tends to be more grounded designs / weapons, much more moral ambiguity / politics and tends to be human vs human scenarios (examples are gundam, code geass).

also all the anime i mentioned in my previous post tend to be different thematically.

Code geass is generally well liked in the west (and is essentially a gundam series without gundams due to everyone getting fedup with said franchise) and is set in an alternate reality where britain won the american civil war and took over most of the world. the main character is the exiled prince of the british empire who lives in japan and whose mum was murdered by the emperor of the britanian empire. 1 day he receives a mysterious power to control other people's minds from a mysterious lady and plots to get revenge on his father.

gurren lagann is a series set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where humans live underground and the surface is ruled by evolved animals. 2 humans decide to venture to the surface world and are eventually joined by other humans to form a resistance against the main villian of season 1. season 2 is set after a timeskip and humanity's very existance is at stake. IMO this is the best super robot anime in existance and has some of the most lovable characters in anime.

SEED: a story about 2 highschooler best friends (1 a civilian, the other a soldier) who find themselves on the opposite side of a war between natural and genetically modified humans. still very popular in japan despite 1st airing in 2002 (also much maligned in the west; HD remaster addresses a lot of issues but avoid the sequel, Destiny). avoid watching all the openings in crowded area s they are nsfw due to multiple naked characters.

00: a story about a group of pilots comprising of a reformed kurdish child terrorist, an IRA victim, an east european super soldier and a mysterious non-binary individual who try to eliminate armed conflict around the world. had the misfortune of being release when the japanese were fed up of gundam at the same time as gurren lagan and code geas thus did bad in terms of ratings BUT was more critically acclaimed in japan than geass and season 1 won more awards than season 1 of geass (sadly both suffer during the 2nd season however geass is redeemed by a few plot twists). also due to successfull bluray sales, 00 has been renewed for a 3rd season...despite airing in 2007-2009. also the 1st anime to be broadcast in HD and 16:9 widescreen thus animation quality holds up well.

iron-blooded orphans: a story of child soldiers on mars trying to liberate themselves from child slavery, before attempting to help liberate mars from the oppressive earth regime (all characters are human). season 1 has some pacing issues in the middle but 1st and final arc are good. season 2 has a rubbish 1st 10 episodes (only decent thing about it is that it introduces the main villians of the series) but picks up nicely after episode 10, before having a very emotionally charged final 6 episodes which people consider a masterpiece or absolutely hate due to what happens (lets just say youtube reaction videos usually involve the reviewers crying their eyeballs out during these episodes without spoiling anything).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by turna127

in terms of anime comedy, 1 I would recommend to a lot of anime fans would be gintama. 1st 50 episodes are a bit like saiki k in terms fo no structure (but are important as they introduce characters) but it gets drastically better after episode 50 and is just amazing after episode 210 (im compiling a list about how to watch gintama but it is taking a while). that being said however, I wouldnt recommend watching gintama as a newbie as it makes a lot of pop culture references to other anime (mainly stuff that debuted in shonen jump like dragonball, one piece, naruto, bleach, jojos bizarre adventure, fist of the north star; as well as evangelion and the original gundam series).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by meg_theartist
Soo many people watch anime shows now and it's super hyped.

But for someone like me, who doesn't watch it but is considering giving it a go, it can be a little intimidating and I just don't know where to start.

All the popular shows (like Dragon Ball Z) have been going on for years and have thousands of episodes. That's just too much and overwhelming.

What do you guys recommend for a beginner??

I use Netflix, there are lots of anime stuff on there. And I have amazon prime too.

I've always been into 'kids anime' - I am OBSESSED with Pokemon and I used to love stuff like Bakugan, if that helps.

Thank you.

you can find anime on netflix but I recommend getting crunchyroll and making an account there are so many buy a few are only for those who pay but you can watch rrly good anime.
jujitsu kaisen
my hero academia
jojos bizzare adventures
attack on titans

on Netflix watch cannon busters
watch death note
Reply 51
I recommend Tokyo Revengers and Demon Slayer. Both are very popular in Japan and many people are watching them. I haven’t watch anime until recently, but when my friend recommended me to watch these two anime, so I started watching anime. I’ve been into these anime lately!!
Original post by Miyu_r07
I recommend Tokyo Revengers and Demon Slayer. Both are very popular in Japan and many people are watching them. I haven’t watch anime until recently, but when my friend recommended me to watch these two anime, so I started watching anime. I’ve been into these anime lately!!

yh demon slayer in good stuff

Quick Reply

Latest