The Student Room Group

A-level choices!! HELP !!

Hi,

Just got my gcse results and got a 'not bad' 9 A's and 3 B's.

Eng - AA
Sci - AA
Maths - B
RE - AA
French - A
IT - AA
Business - B
Art - B

But what shall i choose for my options?

Im thinking of maybe going into Law or IT/Bus or Sci.

Would the fact that i got B in maths, prevent me from studyin maths at A-level? Or is this not a wise choice?

I really like business and wanted to do economics, but it was my lowest grade, so im thinking wether to choose or not?

Also, should i do history, bearing in mind i didnt choose it for gcse? cause i want to do law?

PLEASE HELP - GIVE ME SOME OPTION COMBINATIONS
Reply 1
For law? Skip the maths. You'll want anything language based. Keep the french and english going imo.
Reply 2
anthony_yule
Hi,

Just got my gcse results and got a 'not bad' 9 A's and 3 B's.

Eng - AA
Sci - AA
Maths - B
RE - AA
French - A
IT - AA
Business - B
Art - B

But what shall i choose for my options?

Im thinking of maybe going into Law or IT/Bus or Sci.

Would the fact that i got B in maths, prevent me from studyin maths at A-level? Or is this not a wise choice?

I really like business and wanted to do economics, but it was my lowest grade, so im thinking wether to choose or not?

Also, should i do history, bearing in mind i didnt choose it for gcse? cause i want to do law?

PLEASE HELP - GIVE ME SOME OPTION COMBINATIONS

Maths is doable with a 'B' however you will probably find it difficult. Although by taking it A-Level (assuming you have been granted permission by the School/College to do it) it should mean that at University you will not have to worry about the B.

E.g. some offers state that an A in maths GCSE is required if it hasn't been taken to A-Level.

Economics in my opinion is based more on essay writing and analytical thinking, your B in business studies should not provide a hinderance if you want to study Economics, many in my class did not take business studies and were brought up to the same level of the Business studies students within a week or two, so the B will likely provide a base to develop your knowledge with Economics.

History is a well respected subject, it's interesting and provides a good structure for essay writing etc. I am not sure about the rules about whether you are allowed to take it at your school without taking it GCSE so you would have to ask.

The final choice I would suggest is English as you have done well at GCSE, as such it should be a reasonably sound assumption that you can do well at A-Level moreover it is a useful and well respected subject to take for Law (I think).

Doing these subjects would allow you to go into either Law or Economics at University I would say. Hope that this is of some help to you good luck
Reply 3
Not bad? Your results are great!

For law: Definitely English and French. Does your school/6th form offer Law as an A level subject?

For IT: Obviously IT and maybe maths or business.

For Business: Obviously business, probably IT and possibly French - employers like people who do an extra language!

History is useful for a whole range of things. Maybe you could look at some A level past papers and see what you think about it.

Maybe you shouldn't do economics. It's good to do something that interests you, but it's important to get good A level results.
Reply 4
Redders
Maths is doable with a 'B' however you will probably find it difficult. Although by taking it A-Level (assuming you have been granted permission by the School/College to do it) it should mean that at University you will not have to worry about the B.

E.g. some offers state that an A in maths GCSE is required if it hasn't been taken to A-Level.

Economics in my opinion is based more on essay writing and analytical thinking, your B in business studies should not provide a hinderance if you want to study Economics, many in my class did not take business studies and were brought up to the same level of the Business studies students within a week or two, so the B will likely provide a base to develop your knowledge with Economics.

History is a well respected subject, it's interesting and provides a good structure for essay writing etc. I am not sure about the rules about whether you are allowed to take it at your school without taking it GCSE so you would have to ask.

The final choice I would suggest is English as you have done well at GCSE, as such it should be a reasonably sound assumption that you can do well at A-Level moreover it is a useful and well respected subject to take for Law (I think).

Doing these subjects would allow you to go into either Law or Economics at University I would say. Hope that this is of some help to you good luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My sixth form allow me to take 'Histroy A-level', even though I didnt take it at gcse. (hopefully that wont put me at a big disadvantage, compared to thoes who did take it)
Reply 5
anthony_yule
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My sixth form allow me to take 'Histroy A-level', even though I didnt take it at gcse. (hopefully that wont put me at a big disadvantage, compared to thoes who did take it)

It shouldn't it's a new Syllabus at A-Level and I think you will have the literacy skills based on your English results so go for it, all the people that I know who have taken it have enjoyed it.
Reply 6
Emers
Not bad? Your results are great!

For law: Definitely English and French. Does your school/6th form offer Law as an A level subject?

For IT: Obviously IT and maybe maths or business.

For Business: Obviously business, probably IT and possibly French - employers like people who do an extra language!

History is useful for a whole range of things. Maybe you could look at some A level past papers and see what you think about it.

Maybe you shouldn't do economics. It's good to do something that interests you, but it's important to get good A level results.

My 6th form dont offer Law as a subject.

(Although i was advised by a teacher that uni's prefer if you hadnt taken it for A-levels. Is that true?)
Reply 7
Redders
It shouldn't it's a new Syllabus at A-Level and I think you will have the literacy skills based on your English results so go for it, all the people that I know who have taken it have enjoyed it.

Thanks for the advice 'Redders'....you're a ray of inspiration. :smile:
Reply 8
anthony_yule
Thanks for the advice 'Redders'....you're a ray of inspiration. :smile:

Your welcome :smile:
Reply 9
anthony_yule
My 6th form dont offer Law as a subject.

(Although i was advised by a teacher that uni's prefer if you hadnt taken it for A-levels. Is that true?)

That's how i understood it.
Reply 10
^ I've heard that as well, but I have no idea whether there's any truth in it.

Latest