The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Starting Swansea University and coronavirus

Hey, so I'm thinking of coming to Swansea but worried about starting in September and the impacts of coronavirus on what its like being a student. What information is out there for people coming in September as a Fresher?

Scroll to see replies

Firstly there are very little coronavirus cases in Swansea. There has been 4 new cases in the last 10 days 6 since 16 June and none in the last 2 days. It currently has one of the lowest rates of coronavirus in the UK. Since Monday we have been able to travel anywhere and the shops have been open generally for the last 10 days.

Pubs, cafes, restaurants are currently closed although there are plans to open hairdressers on Monday with things like Nail bars afterwards if cases remain low in Wales. It is planned that cafes, restaurants and pubs open on Monday but initially only outdoors and if that is successful to open indoors later. The likelyhood is there will be no coronavirus around in September unless there is a second spike.

Swansea university intends using a blended learning approach this year for learning and like everywhere else nobody can say for definite how things will be.

The likelyhood is that there will be no coronavirus cases, everything pretty will be pretty much back to normal with social distancing in place and possibly face coverings in place for indoor use.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by Lipstick Plant
Hey, so I'm thinking of coming to Swansea but worried about starting in September and the impacts of coronavirus on what its like being a student. What information is out there for people coming in September as a Fresher?

Hi. I’m a current Swansea student. What we have been told and understand is that lectures will take place online and workshops, seminars and labs (which have smaller numbers of students usually anyway) will take place but possibly with smaller numbers again to allow for social distancing. Accommodation will be open but is making appropriate arrangements and the library’s are slowly starting to reopen so will hopefully be back open by September.
Hello, need some advice.
New postgrad student starting in September and currently looking at private housing because campus accommodation is a bit too expensive for what I want. Anyone familiar with the letting agency Studentdigz? They have a few single occupancy flats for a reasonable price but I have been seeing mixed viewS about them as an agency; anyone know about them?

Any info would be great
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, need some advice.
New postgrad student starting in September and currently looking at private housing because campus accommodation is a bit too expensive for what I want. Anyone familiar with the letting agency Studentdigz? They have a few single occupancy flats for a reasonable price but I have been seeing mixed viewS about them as an agency; anyone know about them?

Any info would be great

Don’t use studentdigz. I’ve heard bad things about them. Contact Swansea accommodation and they will be able to put you in contact with SAS lettings which is the universities owned letting agency and if they have no accommodation left they should hopefully put you in contact with approved approved and trusted landlords.
Original post by Anonymous
Don’t use studentdigz. I’ve heard bad things about them. Contact Swansea accommodation and they will be able to put you in contact with SAS lettings which is the universities owned letting agency and if they have no accommodation left they should hopefully put you in contact with approved approved and trusted landlords.

Hi ..sorry .. what’s bad about them? I was considering studentdigz too ...
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-53767892

This is a good article about what Swansea Uni has in place for accommodation
Would anyone know roughly what time we would have to be on campus for enrolment day?
Original post by jenniferuttams
Would anyone know roughly what time we would have to be on campus for enrolment day?

Enrolment this year is being done completely online. If you are staying in halls you will collect your student ID when you collect your accommodation key. If your staying in private accommodation or at home I believe you will be invited to the library on your campus to collect your ID.
Reply 9
I am starting in September as an undergraduate and I’m confused about accommodation. I will be studying on Bay campus is it worth living in the Hendrefolian Student village or paying the extra to live on bay campus. We won’t be going in for our lectures to start off so I though it would be worth saving the money but now I’m not sure as it could change next year at some point
Original post by i stress
I am starting in September as an undergraduate and I’m confused about accommodation. I will be studying on Bay campus is it worth living in the Hendrefolian Student village or paying the extra to live on bay campus. We won’t be going in for our lectures to start off so I though it would be worth saving the money but now I’m not sure as it could change next year at some point

Hi.
It’s totally up to you. Some students do choose to live on HSV and commute to Bay but it is the furthest accommodation from Bay so you are looking at around 40mins each way without traffic.
Bay campus does have the benefit of having the campus on your doorstep and has got amenities such as a shop and pub which HSV doesn’t have. Bay also offers double beds, en-suite accommodation and more modern rooms, whilst HSV is single beds, shared bathroom and more basic and classic in its furnishings. HSV however does offer you a free bus pass and the option to bring your car which isn’t an option on bay campus.
So you do really have to weigh up the pros and cons for yourself. Are you happy to share a bathroom? Do you want a single or double bed? Would you like to roll out of bed in the morning and into your lectures or get up a bit earlier and have a bus ride? Do you want to have more maintenance loan spare?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Hi.
It’s totally up to you. Some students do choose to live on HSV and commute to Bay but it is the furthest accommodation from Bay so you are looking at around 40mins each way without traffic.
Bay campus does have the benefit of having the campus on your doorstep and has got amenities such as a shop and pub which HSV doesn’t have. Bay also offers double beds, en-suite accommodation and more modern rooms, whilst HSV is single beds, shared bathroom and more basic and classic in its furnishings. HSV however does offer you a free bus pass and the option to bring your car which isn’t an option on bay campus.
So you do really have to weigh up the pros and cons for yourself. Are you happy to share a bathroom? Do you want a single or double bed? Would you like to roll out of bed in the morning and into your lectures or get up a bit earlier and have a bus ride? Do you want to have more maintenance loan spare?

Ok thank you, would it be possible to bring my own car due to medical conditions on bay campus. That was one of the main things I was worried about. It’s a necessary for me but it’s not clear if that’s an option on the Swansea website. I hope the coronavirus restrictions will be good enough and from the sounds of it Swansea is really safe.
Ok thank you, would it be possible to bring my own car due to medical conditions on bay campus. That was one of the main things I was worried about. It’s a necessary for me but it’s not clear if that’s an option on the Swansea website. I hope the coronavirus restrictions will be good enough and from the sounds of it Swansea is really safe.

You may be able to bring your car. The university does issue a limited number of student permits for medical conditions but you will have to apply for one and be assessed. If you have a blue badge then your guaranteed one otherwise it’s a case by case basis. I suggest you get in contact with the unis disability service ASAP so that they can set up a case file for you.

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/disability/
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Enrolment this year is being done completely online. If you are staying in halls you will collect your student ID when you collect your accommodation key. If your staying in private accommodation or at home I believe you will be invited to the library on your campus to collect your ID.

Hi thank you.
I’m postgraduate so they said my induction will be face to face on campus on 1st so was wondering what time I’d have to be there?
Original post by jenniferuttams
Hi thank you.
I’m postgraduate so they said my induction will be face to face on campus on 1st so was wondering what time I’d have to be there?

Ahh. They will probably contact you closer to the time but I doubt it will be before 9am or later than 5pm.

Hello and Congratulations on your university place here in Swansea, Great choice!

If you are looking for accommodation, here at Student Roost we offer a great package for our residents at our St Davids site.

Bay campus is a ten minute bus ride away and our bus stop is right outside our front building.

NO deposit is required upon booking (great news), you have access to all of the social areas 24 hours a day, these include a cinema room, games and karaoke room and a quiet chill area. All of our rooms come with ensuites.

We are situated very close to supermarkets and shops, which are a small five minute walk away and only a ten minute walk into the city center to more shops and Swansea's nightlife.

If you would like more information, please get in touch and our team will be happy to help :smile:
www.studentroost.co.uk (St Davids)
Instagram: @srstdavids

Have a great day!! :smile:
Depends on your course, mine are doing online and on campus teaching hybrid with online January exams. Clubs don’t seem likely to reopen anytime soon due to Spain, Italy and France seeming to worsen again, so do bare that in mind too.
Original post by Will18711
Depends on your course, mine are doing online and on campus teaching hybrid with online January exams. Clubs don’t seem likely to reopen anytime soon due to Spain, Italy and France seeming to worsen again, so do bare that in mind too.

I dont think the situation elsewhere is impacting on clubs not opening here. The Senydd has brought our figures down from the highest to the lowest in the UK by being cautious and that is just a continuation of that. Currently the only things not open here include Ice Rinks (we dont have one in Swansea) anyway. Theatres arent open for live performances and wont open for many months because they cant make a profit under social distancing rules and nightclubs etc where people will end up ignoring them. Likely hood is that it will be at least October and possibly next year before these reopen in Wales.
Reply 18
If you're still looking for accommodation, I can honestly recommend True Student Accommodation! It's going to open this September, so everything inside every room will be brand new Also, the location is great - near the city centre just by the river! - and it has lots of cool stuff included, like gym, festival zone and come dine with me kitchen 🤩
If you want more info, just approach me (I am their student ambassador!) and I can arrange either in-person or virtual viewing for you! 😎
Original post by manka8
If you're still looking for accommodation, I can honestly recommend True Student Accommodation! It's going to open this September, so everything inside every room will be brand new Also, the location is great - near the city centre just by the river! - and it has lots of cool stuff included, like gym, festival zone and come dine with me kitchen 🤩
If you want more info, just approach me (I am their student ambassador!) and I can arrange either in-person or virtual viewing for you! 😎

Anyone going to stay here needs to be aware it is approx 1 mile to the shops or Wind Street or a 15 minute walk.

Quick Reply

Latest