The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Learn the Essential 'Student Life' Skills: Everything from Laundry to Cooking.

Firstly, congratulations on getting a place at university in September! If you are coming to Swansea, we can’t wait to see you around and welcome you to our vibrant and friendly student community. Hopefully the following tips will help you to settle in that bit easier, and make the transition to living independently as a student that bit smoother:
1. Talk to Older Students.

Whether it’s student ambassadors, people in the years above you on your course or the friends you make along the way, talk to students who are in the years above. Ask them any questions you may have as they have already been through it! What did they bring when they moved into halls? What did they find useful? What did they never use? What are their tips and tricks for starting at your university? Who did they go to when they needed help?

Forums like ‘The Student Room’ are also great for this, with people always giving tips and tricks about what to bring and what not to bring.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
2. Find a ‘Buddy.’

When you first arrive at university, it may well be the first time that you are doing things like your own laundry, cooking, cleaning, and food shopping. Trust me, you won’t be alone. Most freshers will be in the exact same boat, leaving the comfort of your family home and moving out on your own for the first time. Feeling nervous about navigating these things is really normal, and I can almost guarantee that there will be someone in your flat/block who feels the same as you. So, why not find someone to do your laundry with, or to go for food shops with? Why not cook joint meals to make things cheaper? Doing all these new things with your new friends will make them a lot easier. It’s also really handy to use different people’s talents. Is someone a really good chef? Get them to help teach you how to cook, or just watch what they do when they’re cooking.
3. Start to Think About Things Early.

When you first get to university, my advice would be to suss out the laundry situation. In Bay Campus at Swansea, where I lived in my first year, there was a big communal laundry room with industrial washing machines and tumble dryers. If you need a laundry card, make sure it is topped up and ready to go for when you need it. Maybe bring an airer, so you won’t always need to spend money using the tumble dryers.

Start to think about where you want to do your food shopping too. A city like Swansea has a huge amount of choice, ranging from Aldi (probably the cheapest) right through to Sainsbury’s and Marks and Spencer. Will you do a flat shop, with a few of you going to the supermarket together? Is there a bus route to get you to the shops easily?

Thinking about all of these little questions and planning things out makes this much easier.
4. Buy a Student Cookbook.

Have a look around the charity shops or on Amazon for a Student Cookbook. These are often filled with yummy and healthy, but cheap meals which are friendly for a student budget. I have always found it really important to establish a routine with food, meal planning for each week before I go to the shops and making sure I have a balanced diet, to allow me to stay on top of my studies and help my mental wellbeing. Having said that, everyone needs a takeaway every now and then!
5. Remember University Catering Services Do Exist.

There is no harm on eating at one of the on campus catering outlets once in a while if you don’t feel like cooking!
6. Have a Strategy for Homesickness.

Starting at university can be overwhelming at first, so make sure you are being kind to yourself. I am a very family oriented person, and found myself getting quite homesick at the start. So, have a strategy for homesickness, if you are the sort of person who might experience it. Whether it’s popping on your favourite film, facetiming friends and family, going on new adventures with your new university friends or making your favourite dinner, it really will help.

Swansea University has excellent wellbeing support, so if you are struggling, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Hope these tips help a little! Feel free to comment on this thread with any questions, or if you want any more advice. I promise that even though it may feel daunting at first, you will soon pick up on the essential skills needed at university and whether it’s laundry or cooking, you’ll be a pro in no time!

Hope Henry Swansea Student Ambassador and Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student.

Quick Reply

Latest