The Student Room Group

am i clever enough for veterinary science?

I've recently recieved my GCSE results-PE A*,biology A,physics A,chemistry A,geography A,french A,maths A, RE A,english lit. A,english lang. A,german B,ICT CC. I've been thinkin about careers for a long time and the only one i can think of that suits me is veterinary science. I've been looking on undergraduate courses from universities which say you need like biology chemistry nd anutha a level plus an a/s.i think im going to take biology,chemistry and physics at a level, but im not sure about the last subject. I know that i've sort of breezed through the GCSE's and rekon i coulda got better with more effort but i know at a level i will be workin my arse off.but i still dont know wether im able to get straight A's cos thts wat my dad rekons i need.i have a real passion for animals and own many but without the grades i dont have a chance.can anyone help?sorry bowt the essay!

Scroll to see replies

Well first you will need to learn how to spell.
Reply 2
ok first of all, dont take this personally but due to the vast number of similar threads i have to say this..

how the **** are we supposed to know? i mean seriously its down to you, you got good grades in gcse well done not go and to the same for as and a levels. no one is gonna give u a magic answer which will make you feel all better.

infact YES, you have a chance, ok? happy? now go away and make it a reality
Aslong as your passionate about animals then sure.

For vets, the passion is the most important thing...
Reply 4
Ok calm down, i can actually spell- i did not realise it was such a necessity. I shouldn't have been so naïve to think that some random people on the web would be able to help me in probably the most important decision in my life. I didn't realise everybody was so easily irritated.sorry
JointVenture
Well first you will need to learn how to spell.

FFS!
there is nothing worse than facetious ******s, such as yourself,:smile: that seem to hang about,waiting to pounce on the next person who commits the most minor spelling error or gramatical error, whatever it may be.
It's kinda pathetic.
If you've got nothing constructive to say,why say anything ?:rolleyes:methinks
Reply 6
Thankyou!
Mismatched_dollie_pepper
FFS!
there is nothing worse than facetious ******s, such as yourself,:smile: that seem to hang about,waiting to pounce on the next person who commits the most minor spelling error or gramatical error, whatever it may be.
It's kinda pathetic.
If you've got nothing constructive to say,why say anything ?:rolleyes:methinks

Its a very competitive subject, and the OP clearly asked if people on here thought he had a chance. He wouldn't with that sort of spelling.

If you don't start these stupid threads, then people like me won't pick up on it. Same everywhere.

Chill out.
You got an A in English :eek: ...

Sorry I am becoming a true bitch of a TSR member :frown: ... I am nice normally honestly :biggrin:

Anyway, yeah you did well in science. And as long as you do well in A levels I don't see why not :smile:
Reply 9
your gcses are fine. and if you are taking all 3 sciences to full a level then you can apply to any of the 7 vet schools, but your gcses may let you down at cambridge. Take a subject you love for your extra AS you got an A* in pe so maybe that? It doenst really matter what is your extra AS just take something you enjoy and can get a good grade at. You dont need 3 A's at A level. For cambridge yes and for RVC yes you do sometimes. But all other unis give AAB offers. If you work hard the A's are achievable. The grades are far from everything in a vet med application. you will need a really good variety of work exp. at least 6 weeks and for liverpoo at least 10 (4 vet 6 animal other).
Reply 10
Ok Tomo, Im actually a vet student so can give you some idea. Your GCSE grades are perfect, you could apply to Cambridge with those grades. The fact is, A levels are hard and a big jump up from GCSEs. You will have to put the work in, simple as. I managed to cruise through GCSE's and thought A levels would be the same. I was wrong, my AS levels didnt go well and I had to put in a lot of work to get my A's in the end. Your subject choices are fine, maybe consider maths as your fourth subject, then depending on how you do, you have the choice of maths or physics to carry to A2 with bio and chem, depending on which you do better in. Grades wise you stand as good a chance as any! What is your work exp like?
JointVenture
Its a very competitive subject, and the OP clearly asked if people on here thought he had a chance. He wouldn't with that sort of spelling.

If you don't start these stupid threads, then people like me won't pick up on it. Same everywhere.

Chill out.

don't mind me.I just thought that a qualification in 'spelling' wasn't one of the uni requirements for vet med,but hey.:wink:
Roobagnall
Aslong as your passionate about animals then sure.

For vets, the passion is the most important thing...

Urm, no. You need a degree in vet sci, which is very competitive. You need to be smart, passion is useless if you don't have the grades to back it up.

OP, GCSEs are not very reliable at showing how well you will do at A-level. It is likely the average vet applicant will have better GCSEs, but it is not impossible for you to become a vet too if you work your ass of and take the correct subjects.
A-levels are a big step up from GCSEs, and require much more work. If you think you are up for the chalenge then go ahead! You are obviously fairly bright, so if you put the work in you have a fair chance.
Mismatched_dollie_pepper
don't mind me.I just thought that a qualification in 'spelling' wasn't one of the uni requirements for vet med,but hey.:wink:

Your passive aggressive use of smilies don't intimate or anger me. But i stand by my original post, the OP cannot get into a vet school with spelling such as that.:biggrin: :p: :smile: :wink: :o: :eek: :woo: :no: :yep: :rolleyes: :cool: :mad: :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 14
Did you ever stop and think that the OP was just having a lazy moment? Im a vet student and my spelling is atrocious at times. When it matters then I make an effort but trust me, we're not all perfect!
Reply 15
o come on its not as if hes gonna spell like that on his ps. give the guy a break he was only asking advice.
Reply 16
ok thanks.my uncle has his own practice and i've worked there for 2 weeks as a taster, i've also worked on farms during lambing and shearing just as a favour but i have alot of opportunities for work experience.are you sure the 4th doesn't really matter because it would be a bonus if i could take pe?
Reply 17
Its not really about how clever you are. If you want it enough and put in the work you will get there `:smile:
Reply 18
Well if you're sure you are confident you can take physics to A2 and get AAA or AAB along with chem and bio then sure, PE would be fine as a fourth. Though there would be no advantage to carrying it on as a fourth A2. The only unis that would favour 4 are Edinburgh and Cambridge anyway. Cambridge I dont think would look kindly on PE as a fourth A2, AS fine but not A2. And Edinburgh do state that if you are taking four A2s they must be chem, bio, phys and maths. But if you concentrate on the 3 sciences and take PE as an AS, I cant see that being a problem for any uni.

Your work exp is a good start but you now need to consider getting more, especially before you apply which will be next October Im assuming. Things like stables, kennels/cattery, dairy, pigs maybe, possibly a zoo or vet lab or an abattoir etc. And try and get exp at a different vets, just so you see the differences. Get variety and make sure you learn from your experiences. Liverpool require the most, 10 weeks: 4 vet practice, 6 other. If you work towards that you will be fine for anywhere.
Reply 19
thanks everyone thats helped me alot

Latest

Trending

Trending