The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Hopefully Starting in September 2020

Hi all,

So I am waiting to hear if I have been successful in gaining a place at Solent on the Journalism, Marketing, and Advertising Foundation Year, then moving on to the Public Relations and Communication Management Degree. Is there anyone else doing these? I'm so nervous. If successful I will be a mature student. By the time I finish, I'll be 40. I'm worried that I won't make friends. Is there anyone else that is starting in September who s a mature student?
Hey there, I will be turning 26 this year when I start my foundation course in September, I am nervous too but I wouldn’t worry about it I’m sure there are plenty of mature students also. I’m here to chat if your interested
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Original post by reed1210
Hi all,

So I am waiting to hear if I have been successful in gaining a place at Solent on the Journalism, Marketing, and Advertising Foundation Year, then moving on to the Public Relations and Communication Management Degree. Is there anyone else doing these? I'm so nervous. If successful I will be a mature student. By the time I finish, I'll be 40. I'm worried that I won't make friends. Is there anyone else that is starting in September who s a mature student?

Original post by Mvarneymusic
Hey there, I will be turning 26 this year when I start my foundation course in September, I am nervous too but I wouldn’t worry about it I’m sure there are plenty of mature students also. I’m here to chat if your interested

Hi @reed1210 and @Mvarneymusic,

It’s great to hear that you’re planning to study with us at Solent! As a current student, I understand the nerves you are feeling about starting your courses as it is nerve wracking to start something new! At the same time, it’s so exciting for you as there are so many great opportunities available at Solent. I would say that, from my experience, the welcome week was so helpful in allowing everyone on my course to introduce themselves. Naturally through group work and different seminar activities you make friends with different people on your course, and also in accommodation- are you both planning on staying at Solent residences in Southampton?

I hope I have helped to ease any nerves you may have- rest assured that everyone is nervous over the first couple of weeks! Your lecturers do help with this- I found different group work activities were especially helpful to integrate the cohort. If you have any queries, or would like to know anything about starting at Solent or student life in Southampton, feel free to ask and I will do my best to help!

Best of luck with your studies going forward!
Eloise :smile:
I’m currently waiting on my unique reference number so I can apply for accommodation on the 13th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending