The Student Room Group

The Big Thread for A-level Choices

Just going to have this as a sticky for a while as there are a lot of threads on this. I'll be merging future threads into this one.

So, A-levels for Medicine. First things first, there is no "ideal" combination of subjects. The ideal combination for you is 3/4/5 subjects you enjoy, are enthusiastic about and score highly in. Some key points: -

Almost all med schools require Chemistry, Biology or both to A2. If you don't take both, you will need to choose a lot more carefully.

Aside from a handful of colleges at Cambridge, NO university requires or prefers 3 sciences (Maths counts as a science). NOWHERE requires or prefers all 4. By all means, if you are good at them, do them all, but ONLY if that's genuinely what you really want to do.

There are some (generally newer) subjects which may be considered "less well regarded" so do have a quick look if your preferred unis specify any subjects they don't consider. General Studies is almost never included in a Medicine offer.

You do not need 4/5/more A2s. Better to get AAB/AAA than ABBB. On the other hand, if you can handle 4, go for it!

I think that pretty much covers everything. And before anyone asks, I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chemistry is essential.
Biology isnt essential for all unis, but it seems very likely to interest you if you want to do medicine
Physics isnt essential, and i think Maths is an easier route to a third science.

I also believe that it's a good idea to do a different subject, eg. English, French, Spanish, German, Music, etc. something to show you are more balanced

Im doing Chem, Bio, Maths, FM and French to A2

(bare in mind Maths is a given if youre doing FM - so i would recommend FM if you like maths)
Reply 2
Regarding FM, remember a lot of med schools do not consider it as an extra subject. If you love Maths, great - but again you need to look carefully at entry requirements if you are not doing 3 other subjects.
Reply 3
I would strongly recommend doing a third subject which involves some essay writing as this is a skill you need in a lot of medical schools!

(this comes from my struggles with essays after doing 3 sciences)
Reply 4
Brilliant post Helenia, a post like this was needed! :smile:
Reply 5
Well I was going to take:
Chemistry
Biology
Psychology
Sociology

Then for A2 Level I was going to drop Biology and do English Lit. Unfortunately as well as that I might retake Maths GCSE and perhaps take another GCSE because I feel my school failed me due to not given me GCSE choices, but instead GCSE equivalents. Do you think this would be wise or should I take something else? I was a bit concerned about Sociology for A level, because it's basically applied Psychology in a societal sense, so I was considering taking that at GCSE level and perhaps picking another subject for A Level like Philosophy or Law. Ideas?

I'm going to a 6th form college, not staying at my current school, so I have more choices.
I am definitely keeping Chemistry and Biology (for medicine).

I got an A in French (90%) and a B in Maths (5 marks off an A, because of a C in stats!).

I know I am better at French but Maths will be so much for useful.

Any advice?

Thanks

I got an A in French (90%) and a B in Maths (5 marks off an A, because of a C in stats!).

Any advice?

Thanks
Reply 8
I wouldn't risk taking Maths and ending up with something lowerthan what you could have got in French. Maths aint a necessity whatsoever..and some unis if not most like a prospective to have an arts subject to show that they are well rounded in all areas not just science and maths. So think about what you enjoy most..what grade you can do better in and if both answers lead to french then keep french and if they don't just remember you don't need Maths to get an offer but IMO keep french:smile:
Reply 9
Kinza

Any advice?

Thanks

keep the french...you got 270/300, which means next year you only need 210/300 (B) to get an A overall. maths isn't that useful for bio and chem...
I do actually like maths, just not that great at it!
Reply 11
Definitely take French instead of Maths - Maths gets a lot harder at A2 and you'll have a more enjoyable year doing the subjects you like and are best at. There is a little bit of Maths in Chemistry but it's not too difficult, your teacher will teach it to you and you won't need A2 Maths to be able to do it, so Maths won't be much more useful than French anyway.
Psychology would work well as a fourth, essay-based subject. It has applications to medicine in terms of psychopathology and the workings of the brain; even if you don't study many of the physiological topics during the A2 course, the textbooks will be available for you to read around stuff on the brain, giving you something to talk about at your interviews (if studying the brain floats your boat).

Unless you have particular extenuating circumstances, I wouldn't recommend ditching biology or chemistry at A2 level, or indeed at A level entirely. If you don't take them because you don't like them or find them incredibly difficult, then perhaps you should reconsider whether medicine will be the right course to engage in for 5/6 years.
My plan was to do chem, maths, geog and french... possibly drama/eng/politics as a fifth.

what d'you think?

I'm not aiming for medicine, morevoer, want to keep open, (i'm not that big a fan of chemistry) i'll probs do a social science degree, french or maybe drama but medicine is something I'm interested in at the moment.

If I do decide on medicine in the end I could do maths, chem and geog A2 ans biology as??
Reply 14
Jason2k6101
Psychology would work well as a fourth, essay-based subject. It has applications to medicine in terms of psychopathology and the workings of the brain; even if you don't study many of the physiological topics during the A2 course, the textbooks will be available for you to read around stuff on the brain, giving you something to talk about at your interviews (if studying the brain floats your boat).

Unless you have particular extenuating circumstances, I wouldn't recommend ditching biology or chemistry at A2 level, or indeed at A level entirely. If you don't take them because you don't like them or find them incredibly difficult, then perhaps you should reconsider whether medicine will be the right course to engage in for 5/6 years.

I'm assuming this is directed at me? :wink:

I don't mind Chemistry or Biology; I just heard that most med schools only required Biology at AS level, so I was considering dropping it. I changed my mind though, I'm going to take both to A2 level. I'm just thinking, that aside what would be the perfect choice of subjects for me. That's why if I'm taking Psychology, I have to ditch Sociology, because they're too similar. The choice now would be English, Philosophy or perhaps Politics. Politics plays some part in some areas of Philosophy so I can ditch that.

English (Combined) or Philosophy? :frown:

No way am I taking five A-levels.
Which is a better choice?

1) Maths, chemistry, biology and spanish?
2) Maths, chemistry, biology and English literature?

I still haven't made my mind up and I'm very confused.
:frown:
Reply 16
which do you enjoy more? spanish or english lit?
Reply 17
Hiii......i am also in a confusing state of affairs.....i want to do medicine and i am about to take my AS levels...so i need to select my subjects. I am planning to take:
Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths, Critical Thinking
However after reading some of the posts...i am really not sure whether these choices are good. I really like science and maths....i prefer it more than english literature and other essay style subjects....so i dont really want to take a language or any non-science subject. I also feel that taking english literature may affect my other subjects as it requires a lot of time and effort.
Could u also tell me which universities group maths and further maths as one subject because i have looked at a few university websites and they do not specify this. Also can critical thinking be regarded as a non-science/ arts subject.
Reply 18
I Have No Imagination
Which is a better choice?

1) Maths, chemistry, biology and spanish?
2) Maths, chemistry, biology and English literature?

I still haven't made my mind up and I'm very confused.
:frown:

I'd go with the latter, English literature. It's up there with the most respected subjects, however if you feel you could do better in Spanish then maybe you should go with that.

I think I'll stick with this for now. It will change next week.

Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, Psychology.
Failed123
I'd go with the latter, English literature. It's up there with the most respected subjects, however if you feel you could do better in Spanish then maybe you should go with that.

I think I'll stick with this for now. It will change next week.

Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, Psychology.

Ah, thanks. Yes, I have finally decided to do English Literature by flipping a coin, I was desperate.
What are trying to choose between??

Latest

Trending

Trending