The Student Room Group

Should I study Computer Science?

Hi, I’ve applied for business at an RG uni and have an offer, however recently have become interested in computer science at uni of Manchester. I didn’t study A level maths and so would be looking to take an integrated foundation year. Clearing is open for that course and I’m thinking of trying to join that way.

However, I’m completely undecided on whether I really want to study computer science at uni. Im interested in the subject, for example I know some basic coding and can mostly assemble a PC while understanding what the components are and a bit about how they work (CPU, RAM etc). However I understand that academically studying a subject in full depth at uni is a bit different to just holding an interest in it and so I’m undecided whether I’d actually like it or not.

The other part of what attracts me to the subject, is that is has strong graduate prospects and so I feel it’s a pretty secure degree to do. Furthermore, I have entrepreneurial aspirations and so having strong knowledge of tech (one of the most lucrative industries), I feel could give me as solid of a background as business.

I’d appreciate any advice from someone who has studied the subject before on how it’s like to do so. Any tips on how to realise if I’m truly interested in studying the subject are also appreciated. I really can’t decide whether to do computer science or business/economics, results day is in a week and so I need to decide soon.
Reply 1
I think the reasons you gave are all valid and you seem to have little bit of experience already so I think since you are interested maybe go for it. I think the modules can be flexible as you go along so you could probably pick some more business-y modules and I think there are actually courses called computer science with innovation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending