The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Fleece
Straighteners shouldn't really be used on dry hair - it can and will cause your hair to break off.

I always thought that straighteners must be used on totally dry hair?? Because they're twice as bad on wet hair?

Reading the title of the thread while doing my hair (with GHDs) wasn't nice! :biggrin:
Ilora-Danon
Sounds to me like your hair's just in really really poor condition and is too damaged to cope with straightening.

:yep:
alenax
I always thought that straighteners must be used on totally dry hair?? Because they're twice as bad on wet hair?

Reading the title of the thread while doing my hair (with GHDs) wasn't nice! :biggrin:

I think they meant dry hair as in it's brittle and dry, which isn't a good condition for your hair to be in. Not dry as in they'd washed and dried their hair, because it can still be normal hair then.

(worst explanation ever, I apologise :sad:)

Anyway, OP, I'd take your straighteners back, or complain, or write a letter, or something! It really doesn't sound right, and I've never heard of someone's hair melting when they used their straighteners, no matter how dry their hair is! (not that I'm saying you have dry hair - I don't think you ever said anything along those lines..)
Post a picture so we can see what you're talking about and the condition of your hair.
Reply 24
I really doubt its what other people are saying about having dry hair. My hairs been dyed loads and isn't in great condition, but I've used my GHDs pretty much everyday for three years and nothing like thats ever happened.

Definitely sounds like theres a fault with the GHDs, they must have overheated or something. I've heard quite a few stories about GHDs exploding and stuff. Contact GHD with the serial number to check 1) they're authentic and not fakes, and 2) whether they came from a faulty batch.
It could be a fault with the thermostat or heat sensor or something like that (unsure what components ghd's have on them) Did they seem hotter than usual? because the sensor that stops them heating up could have broken so they would carry on heating up and get far too hot, although not the same item i've seen this happen on a deep fat fryer before. not good.
Did you have anything flammable in your hair? Some kind of hairspray or hair product?

Did the hair burn away, or did it fall out? Does gently pulling your hair cause hair loss, or was it to do with the heat?
did you put hair conditioner on your hair to protect your hair from the heat??
Reply 28
I've spoken to Trading Standards, and they've said that the earlier GHDs had a slight tendency to overheat and burn people's hair off (which a hairdresser I sold a phone to confirmed today as well)... the fact that mine are Mark IV should perhaps have made a difference but never mind. :s Don't worry, I'm planning to get in touch with them as soon as I get my day off!

Edit: I've already verified their authenticity; I didn't have anything flammable in my hair; I don't use them often enough to know if they were hotter than usual (although it is worth mentioning that I turned them on, clipped the upper layers of my hair up, picked up the straighteners and placed them at the top of the first 'strand', went to slide them down and away came my hair); my hair is naturally dry as opposed to greasy/normal but tbh it's not _that_ bad, especially at the top of my hair!

Latest