The Student Room Group

Going into year 13

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what their experience of being in year 13 was like! I’m quite anxious to go into my last year of sixthform, this year has already gone by so fast. if you guys have any tips can you please share! Thank you!
Original post by ldtr7x
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what their experience of being in year 13 was like! I’m quite anxious to go into my last year of sixthform, this year has already gone by so fast. if you guys have any tips can you please share! Thank you!

I would recommend making the most of your free periods to study but also make sure to use some free periods to enjoy time with friends because it's very easy to become overwhelmed and burnt out with the work load quickly. Ask for as much help as you need, teachers will be more than happy to help. If you're struggling with exam technique or revision methods, now is your time to ask for help with that and if you find yourself struggling mentally try not to put to much pressure on yourself and use your school's mental health services if you can, it definitely made a big difference for me. However, I found that year 13 honestly didn't go that fast and everything will work out in the end. Just remember that you don't have to devote all your time to revising and that making the most of the time you have left is important too. I'm sorry if I rambled in this but I just finished year 13 and I'm more than happy to talk if you need anymore help or advice. Goodluck!
Reply 2
Original post by Victoria_Helen15
I would recommend making the most of your free periods to study but also make sure to use some free periods to enjoy time with friends because it's very easy to become overwhelmed and burnt out with the work load quickly. Ask for as much help as you need, teachers will be more than happy to help. If you're struggling with exam technique or revision methods, now is your time to ask for help with that and if you find yourself struggling mentally try not to put to much pressure on yourself and use your school's mental health services if you can, it definitely made a big difference for me. However, I found that year 13 honestly didn't go that fast and everything will work out in the end. Just remember that you don't have to devote all your time to revising and that making the most of the time you have left is important too. I'm sorry if I rambled in this but I just finished year 13 and I'm more than happy to talk if you need anymore help or advice. Goodluck!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. <3
Original post by ldtr7x

Hey!
The anxiety about the last year of school is a really common thing as it is built up to be a big year. But there are some ways you can help yourself out in the long run!

Firstly, one big part of the year is applying to uni/jobs/apprentiships or just working out what you want to do the following year. My advice for this would be to start this as early as possible, especially uni applications as it will help reduce stress later in the year.

Secondly, most colleges/sixth forms have free periods. 100% use them for work (unless you are feeling a bit burnt out and need a break). The best part of using free periods over studying at home is normally you can find a teacher to help you out if needed, meaning you won't be as stuck for as long. Also, you can study with friends in free periods making it a tad more bareable. On this as well, try start revising a bit early, it'll pay off in the long run.

Finally, make sure that if you need help you ask for it. Whether that is help with some work or more personal help, teachers and support staff at school often want to see you do the best you can, so make use of them!

Hope that helps a bit
Kat
Original post by ldtr7x

The usefulness of any advice I have will to some extent depend on which subjects you are taking.

I’d honestly just look through this whole thread as it’s likely you’ll stumble across more relevant advice if mine isn’t especially applicable:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790

Quick Reply

Latest