The Student Room Group

Memorising the textbook or the specification

I dont know what to memorise instead the spec or the textbook for science, the textbook is a lot and it will take way more time and i just started my revision now But i want to have some time applying my knowledge and with other subjects .
i also realised in freesciencelessons videos they are points copied from the spec , so...

is it best to memorise the spec and understand the work or is the spec too little detail ? i'm very confused :0 , i've already started to trying to memorise the textbook and its too frustrating as i have very poor memory . also in textbooks at the end of every chapters they're chapter summaries , shall i just memorise this instead or the spec ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Chumter
I dont know what to memorise instead the spec or the textbook for science, the textbook is a lot and it will take way more time and i just started my revision now But i want to have some time applying my knowledge and with other subjects .
i also realised in freesciencelessons videos they are points copied from the spec , so...

is it best to memorise the spec and understand the work or is the spec too little detail ? i'm very confused :0 , i've already started to trying to memorise the textbook and its too frustrating as i have very poor memory

I would learn to the extent the spec outlines as this is what will definitely come up. However if there were outlier questions I ran into and it wasn't in the spec then it wouldn't hurt to answer that question and try and remember those answers. But no I wouldn't memorize the whole text book, only the parts that link to the specification.
(edited 3 years ago)
I got 9s in Science a few years ago, and I learnt the textbook but so used the internet to explore certain topics more. The textbook is designed to fulfill the spec, but there's nothing wrong with looking for more info and having other sources of info too! The key is to do as many practice questions as you can get your hands on, and then practice papers when you get closer to the exam!
Original post by redmeercat
I got 9s in Science a few years ago, and I learnt the textbook but so used the internet to explore certain topics more. The textbook is designed to fulfill the spec, but there's nothing wrong with looking for more info and having other sources of info too! The key is to do as many practice questions as you can get your hands on, and then practice papers when you get closer to the exam!

so you would recommend me to learn spec and do many practice questions and practice paper as i can ? i forgot to mention i have yr 11 mocks in nov-dec so i wouldnt have much time ...
Original post by GogetaORvegito?
I would learn to the extent the spec outlines as this is what will definitely come up. However if there were outlier questions I ran into and it wasn't in the spec then it wouldn't hurt to answer that question and try and remember those answers. But no I wouldn't memorize the whole text book, only the parts that link to the specification.

How long do you think it would take me to do all of combined science notes if i did an hour a day ? i dont want to spend too much time on science and neglect other subjects
Original post by Chumter
How long do you think it would take me to do all of combined science notes if i did an hour a day ? i dont want to spend too much time on science and neglect other subjects

I don't know your learning pace. But if you wanted to make an estimate for yourself. See how much you get through in a day, or a week (more accurate). Then see how much is left. Divide how much is left by how much you covered in that week or day and see how long it will take for you to finish it. If it's too long then obviously you'd have to increase your hours. Notes should only be about key equations (that won't be given to you) and exam questions and answers. I made all my flash cards on quizlet as it saves time by typing. Also remember, no point copying out the book because you basically already made your notes - it's the book. Good luck
Original post by Chumter

One more thing, you should try and get through topics and not select a subject a day. Look at your subjects not as subjects, but as topics/chapters. When you complete one do another one in a different subject and so forth. This way you will be able to study all the subjects at the same rate. See more info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7o09a7t4RA
One more thing, you should try and get through topics and not select a subject a day. Look at your subjects not as subjects, but as topics/chapters. When you complete one do another one in a different subject and so forth. This way you will be able to study all the subjects at the same rate. See more info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7o09a7t4RA

Thanks for the tips! would you also think its reasonable to write out the spec out and answer the Q's that's in the spec or is it just a waste of time ?
Original post by Chumter
Thanks for the tips! would you also think its reasonable to write out the spec out and answer the Q's that's in the spec or is it just a waste of time ?

I would only use the spec to serve as a guide line to make sure the exam questions I answer tick all the boxes for that certain topic. So no I would not directly answer the spec because the spec just bullet points what you must know. These can be mixed together to form an exam question for example. So what I would recommend is answer some practice questions that hit every point in that topics spec and only then you have fully revised it. But obviously there are so many practice questions out there so practice makes perfect. Ideally you'd want to go through as many as you can.
I would only use the spec to serve as a guide line to make sure the exam questions I answer tick all the boxes for that certain topic. So no I would not directly answer the spec because the spec just bullet points what you must know. These can be mixed together to form an exam question for example. So what I would recommend is answer some practice questions that hit every point in that topics spec and only then you have fully revised it. But obviously there are so many practice questions out there so practice makes perfect. Ideally you'd want to go through as many as you can.

OK, Got it ! Have you got any sites that you use for practice questions ? (as textbooks Q's are too simple)

btw if you dont mind me asking what did you get for your science gcse's ?
Original post by Chumter
OK, Got it ! Have you got any sites that you use for practice questions ? (as textbooks Q's are too simple)

btw if you dont mind me asking what did you get for your science gcse's ?

You can use:
- Physics & Maths Tutor
- Go to your exam boards website for that subject. They will have past papers there.

I took triple science and got all 9s :smile:
Btw if you dont mind me asking could you give me a like/rep. It's the least you can do to boost my reputation on tsr lol
You can use:
- Physics & Maths Tutor
- Go to your exam boards website for that subject. They will have past papers there.

I took triple science and got all 9s :smile:
Btw if you dont mind me asking could you give me a like/rep. It's the least you can do to boost my reputation on tsr lol

Gave you a like :smile: . . . . . ok so im going to memorise the spec , do practice questions that relate to the questions and past papers . Is that enough for a 9 ? or am i pushing it lol
Original post by Chumter
Gave you a like :smile: . . . . . ok so im going to memorise the spec , do practice questions that relate to the questions and past papers . Is that enough for a 9 ? or am i pushing it lol

Yes after all it worked for me. Make sure you keep reviewing your topics over and over again as you'd be surprised how quickly you can forget! Reviewing the information helps you retain that for your exams. It's just as important as learning your new content. So when you revise make sure you are implementing time for both!
Yes after all it worked for me. Make sure you keep reviewing your topics over and over again as you'd be surprised how quickly you can forget! Reviewing the information helps you retain that for your exams. It's just as important as learning your new content. So when you revise make sure you are implementing time for both!

Ok , Thanks for your help , i greatly appreciate it :smile: btw: Is it ok if i send you a message if i ever need help or advice on something ?
Original post by Chumter
so you would recommend me to learn spec and do many practice questions and practice paper as i can ? i forgot to mention i have yr 11 mocks in nov-dec so i wouldnt have much time ...

I used to:

1. Do a 'blurt' for the chosen science topic (is, spend 5 mins writing everything that I could remember down about the topic, then using my notes and the internet to correct myself and add missing info)
2. Do a page of practice questions from the revision work book.
3. Mark my questions and use the internet to research and work out any mistakes I made.
4. Do another blurt to see how much I've retained.
5. Do a 5 minute blurt that evening to test the info and make it easier to remember in the long term.
This method worked really well for me, but you should work out how you want to revise based on how you learn best. However, the most effective revision methods ares testing yourself and explaining the content to someone else, as you're forced to use and retain the info rather than memorising facts without context!
Original post by Chumter
Ok , Thanks for your help , i greatly appreciate it :smile: btw: Is it ok if i send you a message if i ever need help or advice on something ?

It would be better for you to create a thread on whatever it may be and @ me in it.
(edited 3 years ago)
I used to:

1. Do a 'blurt' for the chosen science topic (is, spend 5 mins writing everything that I could remember down about the topic, then using my notes and the internet to correct myself and add missing info)
2. Do a page of practice questions from the revision work book.
3. Mark my questions and use the internet to research and work out any mistakes I made.
4. Do another blurt to see how much I've retained.
5. Do a 5 minute blurt that evening to test the info and make it easier to remember in the long term.
This method worked really well for me, but you should work out how you want to revise based on how you learn best. However, the most effective revision methods ares testing yourself and explaining the content to someone else, as you're forced to use and retain the info rather than memorising facts without context!

Are your "blurts" spaced out like once in morning or did you do it straight after (except for the num.5)

hi there, just wondering, did you make any notes or flashcards? or did just memorising the textbook and past papers help? which links on the internet would be helpful for triple science?

Quick Reply

Latest