The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
amaad-
how bout u, what do you want to apply for and where?

i really want to do theology or poss a mix of that and philosophy, but yeah i got the grades a GCSE and now its all about A-levels! how are you finding the course??

any bits you dont like? i think the scripture work would get on my nerves a bit :P. btw is the St johns oxford or St johns cambridge??
Reply 21
just realised its oxford sorry :smile:
Reply 22
*Don Juan*
i really want to do theology or poss a mix of that and philosophy, but yeah i got the grades a GCSE and now its all about A-levels! how are you finding the course??

any bits you dont like? i think the scripture work would get on my nerves a bit :P. btw is the St johns oxford or St johns cambridge??

Im in A2 i start in october 2009 so sorry can't give you any advice regarding that i can help you with interviews or summat tho
amaad-
but remember it is extremly difficult to get a place at some colleges and a lot easier in others!

Indeed, but you can still get pooled to one of the less competitive colleges (*waves*). I don't think it really matters where you apply - generally speaking, if they want you to have an offer, they'll find you somewhere.

(Incidentally, it's cool to see your earlier posts in this thread, hah!)
Reply 24
StandingOnAir
Indeed, but you can still get pooled to one of the less competitive colleges (*waves*). I don't think it really matters where you apply - generally speaking, if they want you to have an offer, they'll find you somewhere.

(Incidentally, it's cool to see your earlier posts in this thread, hah!)

lol yeah just re read them now and cant believe that was me

of course you can get pooled but to give you an example

they were 5 applicant for 2 places at pembroke and nearly 10 for 2 or 3 places at st. johns!
Reply 25
amaad-
lol yeah just re read them now and cant believe that was me

of course you can get pooled but to give you an example

they were 5 applicant for 2 places at pembroke and nearly 10 for 2 or 3 places at st. johns!

2 places at Pembroke? Sorry to say I doubt your statistics, as Pembroke on average admit 4-5 theolgy students.
Reply 26
RCA
2 places at Pembroke? Sorry to say I doubt your statistics, as Pembroke on average admit 4-5 theolgy students.

hmm im not sure then----- you mean per year or per 3 yaers
Reply 27
amaad-
hmm im not sure then----- you mean per year or per 3 yaers

Per year, the exact total depends on how many philosophy/theology students they admit. Anyhows, the total admitted varies according to the quality of the applicants :smile:
Reply 28
Oh and meant to say that either way the strength of the applicants is assured across the year, because the 'pooling' system is designed to ensure that the best quality students get in, if one college recieves 15 rubbish applicants (hypothetically speaking) then they will not offer any of these places, but take better applicants from another college (who may have had 4 applicants too many and couldn't decide which to let in). Hope that makes some kind of sense :smile:

Congrats on getting an offer though, wherever its from its a great achievement :smile:
Reply 29
RCA
Oh and meant to say that either way the strength of the applicants is assured across the year, because the 'pooling' system is designed to ensure that the best quality students get in, if one college recieves 15 rubbish applicants (hypothetically speaking) then they will not offer any of these places, but take better applicants from another college (who may have had 4 applicants too many and couldn't decide which to let in). Hope that makes some kind of sense :smile:

Congrats on getting an offer though, wherever its from its a great achievement :smile:

k i geddit it now so thanks
are youdoing theology at oxford?

Latest

Trending

Trending