The Student Room Group

Should workout while sick?

I have the flu, sore throat, general tiredness. Since working out is always benefiting (even though it isn’t what we want to be doing when we re sick), makes your organism stronger (and eradicates most time of the 24h you spend resting and laying down) I thought it d be an interesting question
Best thing to do when you got the flu is just rest
If you've got the flu, the best thing you can do is rest, as otherwise it may just make you feel even worse.

Also, do make sure you self-isolate for seven days as per the government guidelines, just in case you've contracted COVID-19 and are mistaking the symptoms for the flu.

Get well soon, you Eccentric Goatie! :yes:
General wisdom is that if you feel unwell above the neck (blocked nose, sore throat, headache etc.) then it's probably fine to work out. If your symptoms are below the neck (temperature, muscle aches, tight chest etc.) then it's probably best to rest. Given the covid situation, I imagine it's best to err on the safe side and rest (although I'm not a Dr!)

From personal experience, I usually find I feel better after working out. But if my symptoms got worse after I started to exercise, I'd probably call it a day.

Quick Reply

Latest