The Student Room Group

Gym

I really like going gym and working out in general but I feel like I will stop once Uni starts. Is anyone else feeling the same way?
Hi there,
I'm currently in my second year at uni and I enjoy going to the gym. Whilst it was a struggle trying to keep up with that schedule whilst I was still getting settled in, once you feel comfortable in your new environment it's easy enough to get into a schedule, its just about sticking to it! I recommend either finding a gym near your university or near where you are living, since it then makes it really easy to immediately go to gym once you've finished for the day. Hope this helps!
-Eden
Student Rep
Original post by Geo-sid
I really like going gym and working out in general but I feel like I will stop once Uni starts. Is anyone else feeling the same way?

Why will you stop? It's important to maintain a good work life balance, doing something you enjoy (which is also healthy) is a positive way to manage this. Many places also offer a pretty decent student discount, with many unis having subsidised gyms as well.
Reply 3
Original post by Escape Studios Rep
Hi there,
I'm currently in my second year at uni and I enjoy going to the gym. Whilst it was a struggle trying to keep up with that schedule whilst I was still getting settled in, once you feel comfortable in your new environment it's easy enough to get into a schedule, its just about sticking to it! I recommend either finding a gym near your university or near where you are living, since it then makes it really easy to immediately go to gym once you've finished for the day. Hope this helps!
-Eden
Student Rep

This is so relieving to hear - Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by moonkatt
Why will you stop? It's important to maintain a good work life balance, doing something you enjoy (which is also healthy) is a positive way to manage this. Many places also offer a pretty decent student discount, with many unis having subsidised gyms as well.

I feel like the stress of A-Levels right now and balancing my studies along with social life is hard. I really do not want to stop and then getting back into it and feel weak but I also feel like I should be studying instead of working out.
Original post by Geo-sid

Hi there

I was worried about the same thing when I moved to uni, however, I've actually found a better gym routine since starting. Playing sports or going to the gym is a great way to destress and stay healthy. There are also a wide variety of sports societies and socials which are great for meeting people whilst maintaining active. Im not sure about other unis but I know that at Kent you get a free gym membership when you live on campus. I lived a 5 minute walk from the on campus gym which encouraged me to go more often. On top of this my friends and I would often play sports in the evening which was always a good laugh. Whether you decide to incorporate the gym into your uni routine is entirely up to you. I personally found it easier to go to the gym at uni as my timetable was a lot more flexible than at Alevel but this is obviously dependent on your course. Hope this helps a bit

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi there

I was worried about the same thing when I moved to uni, however, I've actually found a better gym routine since starting. Playing sports or going to the gym is a great way to destress and stay healthy. There are also a wide variety of sports societies and socials which are great for meeting people whilst maintaining active. Im not sure about other unis but I know that at Kent you get a free gym membership when you live on campus. I lived a 5 minute walk from the on campus gym which encouraged me to go more often. On top of this my friends and I would often play sports in the evening which was always a good laugh. Whether you decide to incorporate the gym into your uni routine is entirely up to you. I personally found it easier to go to the gym at uni as my timetable was a lot more flexible than at Alevel but this is obviously dependent on your course. Hope this helps a bit

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep :smile:

This is the vibe I wish to have at Uni - I hope I can do this too!
Original post by Geo-sid

Hey there @Geo-sid !

I definitely felt this but have managed to keep consistent. This is only because I've been doing things that I want to do. I don't think you'll want to keep up with a steady gym routine unless you actually look forward to doing it. Have you tried choosing exercises that you enjoy rather than just doing what you think works? I found this to be the best way to keep at it, also seeing progress helps. Try taking progress pictures as it'll definitely motivate you to keep going. Sometimes it can be hard to feel like you have the time for it when doing your lectures and seminars on top of that. I like to not schedule it into my week and just go when I feel like it which seems to work out at around 6 times a week. It certainly helps if your gym is a 24 hour gym. Have you got a membership sorted for university?

Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 8
Original post by Geo-sid

I don't think you need to worry about it. You can continue your workout while attending university. If going to the gym bothers you, there are plenty of ways to maintain your fitness such as online personal training, which can be helpful in assisting your home workout.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest