The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Béton House

is anyone staying at Béton House 4th floor from both universities in sheffield?
Hey, I am considering moving to beton house this year would you recommend it. Also, how did you find Sheffield Hallam university overall and how was the social side of things?
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Here you can find information on Beton house https://betonhouse.co.uk/

My overall experience of Sheffield Hallam University was very good. The tutors were engaging, supportive and helpful, the facilities were really good - I was based at Collegiate campus and it is beautiful, we have a new designed atrium in the Owen building, our main city campus, with a new café and kitchen. The libraries are open 24/7, fantastic if you need to pull an all nighter to finish an assignment.

There was lots to do socially too.

The students union runs events all year:
https://www.hallamstudentsunion.com/welcome-week/events/
https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/student-life/your-union
https://www.hallamstudentsunion.com/whatson/

We have a wide range of activities, clubs and societies to get involved with https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/student-life/activities-clubs-and-societies

There's also lots to do during freshers, such as freebie fairs, society fairs, give it a go sessions and much more. There's lots to do at our university, so get stuck in!

- Rosie
Official Student Ambassador
(Original post by Anonymous)Hey, I am considering moving to beton house this year would you recommend it. Also, how did you find Sheffield Hallam university overall and how was the social side of things?

Beton is very nice ONLY and i mean ONLY if you are okay with walking up 12 flights of stairs (the dreaded steel steps) whenever you are going back to your accom. Heed my warning. You'll also have to carry all your shopping up them, as your nearest supermarket is a tesco express a 20 min walk away.
Original post by frenchie_
(Original post by Anonymous)Hey, I am considering moving to beton house this year would you recommend it. Also, how did you find Sheffield Hallam university overall and how was the social side of things?

Beton is very nice ONLY and i mean ONLY if you are okay with walking up 12 flights of stairs (the dreaded steel steps) whenever you are going back to your accom. Heed my warning. You'll also have to carry all your shopping up them, as your nearest supermarket is a tesco express a 20 min walk away.

are the stairs really that bad? i really like beton house but i have a chronic illness and im wondering how bad the walk really is.
Original post by Anonymous #3
are the stairs really that bad? i really like beton house but i have a chronic illness and im wondering how bad the walk really is.

Hi there,

I stayed at Beton House during my first year so thought I could give you some insight into the accommodation!

The stairs are quite hard work! I found them tricky at first but slowly got used to it. There is also another way to go which is basically a big ramp/hill which is a lot less steep but is a bit longer than the steps (but still probably around 5/10 mins from the train station). However, the accommodation is really close to the train station and also most of the uni buildings (for Hallam) so even with the walk up the hill it is still closer to uni than a lot of accommodations. However, if you struggle with walking up stairs/hills a lot then you might want to consider if you think you would really struggle with the walk as it's on a hill so you can only get to it via stairs or a hill.

Once you get to the accommodation, it's really nice! The rooms are a lot bigger than most other halls and it's not too expensive either. They have some good social spaces with a pool table, table tennis and karaoke and there is also a gym which you can use. The gym is small but it's still good for a bit of exercise!

They also put on quite a few events in the social spaces which everybody can get involved with. While I was there they had things like cocktail classes, quizzes, karaoke nights etc. It's a good way to meet new people in your accommodation.

However, I would say the downside to this accommodation is the social aspect. It's not the most sociable of halls, although this of course depends on your flatmates. If you want a really sociable accommodation, places like Elements or LIV are a bit more like this.

In terms of flatmates, of course in any halls and any flat you can be lucky with your flatmates or not so lucky. I would say that in Beton house there is an option to state preferences for flatmates - eg, in first year, aged 20 or over etc. They seem to be quite good with this and try and listen to peoples preferences.
In my first year, I was 20 and was put with 3 people who were 20 and 4 who were 19 so they tried to put people the same age together. We also had an even split of 4 boys and 4 girls so this was good too.
They also have 4 bedroom flats and 2 bedroom which you could look into getting if you would prefer this.

I hope some of this helps and good luck with Uni!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
thank you, i heard from a friend theres also a bus up? i was wondering if this is true.

also for the option of staying with 4 people, how do i look into this? i havent seen any option for less than 8.

thank you.
Original post by Anonymous #3
thank you, i heard from a friend theres also a bus up? i was wondering if this is true.

also for the option of staying with 4 people, how do i look into this? i havent seen any option for less than 8.

thank you.

Hi,

Yes there is a bus which goes up! I've never got it so I'm not sure where exactly it goes from but it stops at the top of the hill at the back of the flats so this would be a good option if you want to stay here.

For living with 4 people, I would suggest emailing them or calling them to find out more information about this as I think they only have limited ones so they don't list them on the website. They may be sold out as I think they're quite popular but it's worth contacting them. The reception staff are really nice and would be happy to help you and talk to you about this.
However, if you were to book directly through them it is more expensive than booking through Hallam so if this is the only way you can get a 4 bedroom it depends whether you would want to pay extra.
The 8 bedroom ones are really nice too- the kitchen is split into two so you share your half of the kitchen with 3 others so there's plenty of room for storage and also for cooking :smile:.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions I will answer them as best I can!
Lucy - SHU student ambassador.
Room in Beton house available as a tenancy takeover - available immediately until August (with possibility to extend). £120 a week. En-suite rooms. furnished. Send me a message if interested or need more info.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending