The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

sheffield hallam or lincoln?

got unconditionals from both and am looking to study chemistry. i know lincoln is the better of the two but Sheffield hallam has a much better location and jobs. cant really decide between the two and just looking for an opinion?
Original post by viable-porridge
got unconditionals from both and am looking to study chemistry. i know lincoln is the better of the two but Sheffield hallam has a much better location and jobs. cant really decide between the two and just looking for an opinion?

Hi @viable-porridge ,

I can only comment on what Sheffield Hallam is like but I thought I'd give you my opinion about Hallam and how my experience has been so far!

Sheffield in general is a great city and there are lots of things to do. It's great for a night out if you like going out, there is one street where lots of bars, pubs and clubs are which is really fun and there are always lots of students there which make the nights really good. If you aren't into drinking, there are also lots of really nice places to eat which are affordable for students and there is a big variety of restaurants/cafes etc. I also really like going shopping here and Meadowhall is only a 5 minute train journey away which I love going to and the Peak District is also very close by and I have been on a couple of walks in the peaks which is so fun!

The uni is also very central and there are lots of nice accommodations which are nice and range from very affordable to more expensive, although none are extremely expensive in my opinion. I stayed in one of the cheaper ones in my first year and it was so nice! They are also pretty central and there are options close to both campuses so whichever campus you would be studying at there will be an accommodation nearby!

The teaching here I have found great too, whenever I have needed help, my tutors have been very helpful and I have got the answer I needed. We also get assigned different tutors to help with different things and you can chat to them online or make appointments to see them in person which I have found very helpful.

There are lots of good societies which meet up regularly and also have socials and one of my favourite things I did last year was watch the varsity sports matches against uni of Sheffield as these were so fun, everyone was cheering and there was a big sense of community spirit!

If you want to chat with a current student at Hallam, you can do so here: https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/student-chat
This is a great way to chat to students who are studying here currently and you can ask any questions about uni life, your course. From looking, it looks like there are a couple of students who are studying biosciences/ chemistry at undergraduate level so they may be able to help you a bit more with any course specific questions that you may have which may help you make up your mind!

I would also say, if you can, to visit both of your option's applicant open days. It's a great way to find out more about your course and see where you would be studying, as well as the city itself which may help you to make your mind up! This is the link for Hallam's open day: https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/undergraduate-applicant-open-days

University is a great experience and I'm sure you will enjoy it wherever you choose!

I hope some of this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Have you been to an offer holder day at both? 😊 Offer holder days are a really great way of getting a better feel for the course, campus and city (plus you can find students studying your course and ask them what they think)
Can’t speak for Hallam but I have a friend in science at Lincoln and she absolutely loves it, smaller city yes but the city is far more student oriented, less expensive, and safer.
The biggest focus of Lincoln seems to be the students, every problem my friend has come across the University has been happy to help and support her through her time.

Plus I’m extremely jealous of Lincoln’s graduation (cathedral and castle all in one)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending