The Student Room Group

GANFYD's "Which medical schools accept retake A-Levels" list

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anonymous17!
ARU has no restrictions anyway but I called them up last Thursday and they confirmed over the phone that they would accept a combo of CAG grades and autumn grades and that autumn is a first attempt, not resit. UEA also confirmed through email that they would accept a combo of CAG’s and autumn grades and that they are considering autumn as a first attempt, but this was one day after the government u-turn so it could be that they’ve changed their stance but I’m not sure, I haven’t contacted them again.

Bristol confirmed to me through email on August 14th that all autumn exams were resits so I’m guessing they’ve updated their stance, or is it that the resit grades simply need be AAA (like Sheffield) and not A*’s? And they’ve also said they will accept a combo of grades now? When did you find this out, is it on their website?

Also, do you know if Bristol accepts gcse resits?

Tbh, I just have huge anxiety about everything now. I know a previous post that you said medical schools have committed to autumn NOT being a resit, do you know for certain that that’s true for all? Is this something that has been declared or this is an educated assumption you’ve made? Sorry for all the questions 😅 I want to apply after achieved grades in autumn so I won’t be applying until next year for 2022 entry. I did also ask the medical schools if their views would be upheld for entries other than 2021 and they said yes, which I imagined they should be. Idk why they would view autumn as a first attempt for 2021 entry but a resit for future entries, but I’m being meticulous about everything. Do you think that doing the exams in autumn first and then applying with achieved grades for 2022 entry would be ok? Meaning that do you think the medical schools will still honour their views on the autumn exams being first sits and accepting combos?

Again sorry for all the questions 😅😅

This year's info has come from what other TSR users have posted after contacting med schools, the same way you have. I have no way of verifying it

The MSC have stated the autumn exams willnot be seen as resits and they are supposed to speak for all med schools, but I do not know if some have decided to go their own way
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/covid-19/admissions-updates-for-applicants/202021-application-faqs

I think Bristol have only ever asked for As in resat A levels and yes, they accept GCSE resits (but only 1 resit for any exam at any level)
Original post by GANFYD
This year's info has come from what other TSR users have posted after contacting med schools, the same way you have. I have no way of verifying it

The MSC have stated the autumn exams willnot be seen as resits and they are supposed to speak for all med schools, but I do not know if some have decided to go their own way
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/covid-19/admissions-updates-for-applicants/202021-application-faqs

I think Bristol have only ever asked for As in resat A levels and yes, they accept GCSE resits (but only 1 resit for any exam at any level)

Ok cool. It says on the msc website that the information is for 2020/21 application. Does that mean applications made in 2020 for 2021 entry or applications made in both 2020 (for 2021 entry) and 2021 (for 2022 entry). Because I want to do 2022 entry and I want to make sure my autumn exams will still be seen as a first sit and as one sitting for 2022. Sorry for bothering you again
(edited 3 years ago)
My current grades are,
BBB and am resitting all 3 subjects, maths in autumn and biology and chemistry next summer.
If I was to obtain an A in maths would that make my first sitting grades ABB therefore making me eligible for a lot of resit policies? Or does it not work like that
I emailed St. Andrews asking about their resit policies and they’ve said they’re going to put out a statement on resits via autumn 2020 or summer 2021 exams sometime soon. (They’re currently putting it together)
Original post by Uzair63
My current grades are,
BBB and am resitting all 3 subjects, maths in autumn and biology and chemistry next summer.
If I was to obtain an A in maths would that make my first sitting grades ABB therefore making me eligible for a lot of resit policies? Or does it not work like that

Well it should do. However some med schools are still implying Autumn exams are resits and some will not let you split exams between Autumn and June.
Reply 45
i am a scottish student and i was wondering if anyone knew of any medical schools (that take UCAT) that are taking higher resits for medicine for 2021 entry? i know a couple are in scotland, are there any in england that are?
Reply 46
So to confirm, even though autumn exams are not meant to count as resits, medical schools are counting them as resits and you can't apply because of CAGs...
Also, the autumn exams count as 3 years of study?
:frown:
Original post by Uzair63
My current grades are,

This is the million dollar question at the moment? No one is sure.

What you are saying is right, as ideally if in Autumn you get an A in Maths, then your CAG grade for Maths (B) should be overwritten by the A (achieved in Autumn).

Speak to the university you are applying to, and maybe inform them on results day on 17th December.

Most experts suggest that one should achieve the grades, and re-apply next year ie. for the 2022 cycle. If applying for 2021 cycle then it will be based on the predictions, and of course looking at each school individually what they are asking for, as all uni asking for little different combination.

Do you UCAT and BMAT this year again just to be sure.

That's the reason the 2020 {CAG/Covid year 13 A level} batch have been the worst affected!
Reply 48
Hi,

I have completed my 2 year A-level study and I achieved 3A* in Maths, Biology and Physics in Summer 2020. I decided Medicine was for me in January 2019 - past the UCAS deadline for Medicine. All of my UCAS choices were for Biomedical Engineering as this is what I initially wanted to study. I have returned to my sixth form college to study A-Level Chemistry in a year (AS & A2), sit the UCAT and apply to medicine this time round.

A lot of medical schools require their minimum subject and grade entry requirements be met in the typical 2 year A-Level period (usually including chemistry).

I'm looking to compile a list of medical schools here that accept students in my position - any previous experience or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jarlath
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Jarlath
Hi,

I have completed my 2 year A-level study and I achieved 3A* in Maths, Biology and Physics in Summer 2020. I decided Medicine was for me in January 2019 - past the UCAS deadline for Medicine. All of my UCAS choices were for Biomedical Engineering as this is what I initially wanted to study. I have returned to my sixth form college to study A-Level Chemistry in a year (AS & A2), sit the UCAT and apply to medicine this time round.

A lot of medical schools require their minimum subject and grade entry requirements be met in the typical 2 year A-Level period (usually including chemistry).

I'm looking to compile a list of medical schools here that accept students in my position - any previous experience or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jarlath

There’s a good amount of medical schools that don’t need chemistry,
Maybe check that out, you could easily have 4+ options without sitting chemistry
(edited 3 years ago)
Aberdeen have released that if you were awarded CAGs in 2020, you resitting the autumn or the summer exams will not be considered resits
Hi there, I have achieved ABB
My current offer requires me to sit october exams to get AAB.
Say if i do not get an A in the october exam can i still apply to places like ARU and Nottingham? (i am eligible for contextual for both)
I know that for ARU the contextual offer is ABB which i meet, so i dont necessarily need to resit any exams, but would it be a problem if i need to sit an exam next summer for other unis, for example nottingham which requires AAB?

Would massively appreciate an answer @GANFYD/ :smile:
@GANFYD if you could give me some guidance that would be great,

i am currently looking to apply as a resit student and out the 4 uni's i have selected only one looks at personal statement in the interview which is Southampton, but they don't look at it before interview. i was hoping to just use the same personal statement from last year and not change anything because i was really happy with it and everything in there i feel is necessary to mention, however i have not talked about my gap year plans. I've been trying to arrange something new but nowhere is accepting because of covid and i don't want to lie about it in my personal statement.

As Southampton said that they only use it in the interview to ask questions, will it be okay to not talk about my gap year in my personal statement but instead talk verbally in the interview what i plan to do/ hopefully have done by then.They already know that i am taking a gap year from my ucas application. Will not talking about it in my personal statement put me at a disadvantage? Also do u know if they score personal statement after the interview to give out offers or is it just based on the interview performance?

The volunteering that i mentioned from my previous personal statement and the job that i still work in are still going on, i haven't stopped them.
Reply 53
@GANFYD Thanks for compiling this, very useful to have

Just to add (if you don't mind) - I have just been in touch with Bristol's admissions team and they have said that an A-level subject can be re-sat more than once (at least for this year anyway)

Also Plymouth want ABB first sitting but for CAG's sitting in June this year they would accept BBB/ABC first sitting :smile:
Reply 54
Hi
I was rejected by Bristol medical school last year after interview. My UCAT this year is 2890 I am resitting my maths exam as I got a B last year I have A in chemistry and A in biology
Can I reapply this year?
Thanks
Regards
M
Reply 55
Hi
I was rejected by Bristol medical school last year after interview. My UCAT this year is 2890 I am resitting my maths exam as I got a B last year I have A in chemistry and A in biology
Can I reapply this year?
Thanks
Regards
M
Reply 56
Original post by drstup
Hi
Can I reapply this year?
Thanks
Regards
M

What's your predictions
Original post by drstup
Hi
Can I reapply this year?
Thanks
Regards
M

In general its not a good idea to reapply to a university did not give you an offer post interview, as it wasn't the grades they were worried about. Some Universities do not allow reapplication following post interview rejection. You may want to check with Bristol.
Original post by macbook4
In general its not a good idea to reapply to a university did not give you an offer post interview, as it wasn't the grades they were worried about. Some Universities do not allow reapplication following post interview rejection. You may want to check with Bristol.

1. Bristol does accept a post interview rejection reapplication

2. If you decide to apply to a uni again after a post interview rejection, the uni will look at you as a brand new candidate, they’re not gonna base it off last year’s rejection lol. Imo if anything it’s a good idea as your already familiar with their interview style and they type of things they look for. You can also get post interview feedback from your first rejection and then use that feedback to aid your reapplication.
Where can i apply if i am resitting year 12 having sat no official exams for medicine? My predicteds are ABB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending