The Student Room Group
yes
Reply 2
ajdj
Does anyone know roughly what percentage is considered to be an A*?? I know 80%+ is an A and think A* should be 90%+ ...that about right?

do you mean that special adding operation in c or other computer language..
The percentage for an A* is about 85 its not that high from an A. Though i done my GCSE a year ago so it might have changed
Reply 4
zmjafflatus
do you mean that special adding operation in c or other computer language..

:hmmm: no you mean vbasic A*
Reply 5
Most subjects are in the region of 85 - 93 % for an A*, an A is typically around the 80% mark, but it's true that for example, if a lot of people score 80%++ in 2009 Edexcel Maths, then they'll raise the boundaries to even it out a bit. But some subjects like Drama and Art have their A* boundaries at 97%:eek:
Most traditional subjects have A as just above 70% and A* just above 80%. The additional science I did this year had 70 for an A*
smflesh
Most subjects are in the region of 85 - 93 % for an A*, an A is typically around the 80% mark, but it's true that for example, if a lot of people score 80%++ in 2009 Edexcel Maths, then they'll raise the boundaries to even it out a bit. But some subjects like Drama and Art have their A* boundaries at 97%:eek:

I know! How sad is that! Let me give you an announcement to you all... If you are thinking of studying Art for GCSE opt for OCR, as here are the grade boundaries into getting A*.

OCR = 93%*
AQA = 96%*
Edexcel = 97%*

*Grade boundaries will differ each year.

Can I ask, why is it so high for Art & Drama? Because, who is going to get 97%+ in Art? That's too high and looks impossible!

Also can I just say, has anyone here ever got 98%-100% in GCSE Art/Drama?

Thanks! :macarena:
Robbie10538
Most traditional subjects have A as just above 70% and A* just above 80%. The additional science I did this year had 70 for an A*

Lucky those that got 70% and just scraped off an A*! :rolleyes:
Reply 9
im so academic
I know! How sad is that! Let me give you an announcement to you all... If you are thinking of studying Art for GCSE opt for OCR, as here are the grade boundaries into getting A*.

OCR = 93%*
AQA = 96%*
Edexcel = 97%*

Can I ask, why is it so high for Art & Drama? Because, who is going to get 97%+ in Art? That's too high and looks impossible!

I got 98% In Drama, and a lad in my year got the same in Art.
How did you do it? Did you get that grade by doing lots of this: :work::?:
im so academic
How did you do it? Did you get that grade by doing lots of this: :work::?:

For our performance, we worked furiously for about 3 weeks getting the characters/story sorted, but then we had months of just going over it really, so that wasn't hard at all.

Then the exam was a 2 hour analysis of a 2 plays we had seen, 1 question being along the lines of "how did the stage itself play a vital part in making a piece memorable" and the other something like "how would you play "Mr/Mrs X" in this extract"

Easy for me because I got the essay method sorted, but the others in my group crashed and burnt :frown:

- There will be many grammatical/ sp' errors in this post, I'm typing weird... Normal service will soon be resumed :biggrin:
Reply 12
It depends what subject and what exam board. I think for my exam board last year for Eng lit a* was around 95% or so. Drama was 97% but then there's subjects that need 85% etc.
ajdj
Does anyone know roughly what percentage is considered to be an A*?? I know 80%+ is an A and think A* should be 90%+ ...that about right?

It differs with the subject and the boundaries change each year. The drama boundaries have shot up this year...like they weren't high enough already?????:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
It is really ridiculous how much it varies; I managed to get an A* in AQA Art, but I had to put so much work into it and generally got stressed out by it all... although it was obviously worth it in the end. It's just everything I did had to be of a high standard, otherwise I'd lose precious marks.

In science, I got less than amazing grades on numerous occasions but still managed to get A*, which shows you need so fewer marks... it's pretty confusing...
im so academic

OCR = 93%*
AQA = 96%*
Edexcel = 97%*

and our school just had to change the board from OCR to Edexcel when I did art gcse didn't they?! :mad:
lucky star
and our school just had to change the board from OCR to Edexcel when I did art gcse didn't they?! :mad:

Bear in mind, the reason the boundary is lower is because the questions are asked differently, and they are marked in a slighty different way. :wink:

I think for AQA, it's quite easy to nail 3 of the 4 asessment objectives, and the assessment objective that is your quality of work then decides whether you get an A or an A*.

But don't listen to me. I did the entire course in 4 weeks (and the 4 week exam) and got a C. Work in the first two years people! :p:
Reply 17
It really depends on how people performed on the paper. For our double award science, the A* grade was only 73%, this is likely to mean that the paper was pretty difficult (I myself thought the same thing). In our additional mathematics, the A grade (which is the highest grade for FSMQ) was only 69% and even then, 75% of people who took the exam did not achieve that grade which also must have mean that it was a difficult paper.

So, as repeated in the beginning, I think it depends on how people performed on the exam so it can range from just 70% to some evil high percentage of over 90%! =(
AnonyMatt
Bear in mind, the reason the boundary is lower is because the questions are asked differently, and they are marked in a slighty different way. :wink:

I think for AQA, it's quite easy to nail 3 of the 4 asessment objectives, and the assessment objective that is your quality of work then decides whether you get an A or an A*.

But don't listen to me. I did the entire course in 4 weeks (and the 4 week exam) and got a C. Work in the first two years people! :p:

oh dammit.. why didn't we do AQA? =|
If the grade boundaries are lower for the same subject on a different exam board it would suggest that the exam was harder, and therefore by choosing to do it with a certain subject may not really make much difference, unless you were a super whizz that was sure to get around 95% whatever happened...

See what I'm saying?

Latest