The Student Room Group

Kallisto's Old Cartoons Review

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto
I am not sure, guess @AngryJellyfish knows the plot better than me, but I remember me that the sonic characters in Sonic X were warped into the human world and tried everything to get back in their world. I think so.

Sonic Sez/Says had exactly the intro of the first two Sonic games. That is awesome! :thumbsup:

kinda, so the 1st 2 seasons were adaptions of the 1st 2 sonic adventrues game, albeit with the caveat of getting teleported to earth from mobius / befriending the thorn**** family. 3rd season does its own thing. In anycase, I'd love to chat but I gotta go fast

The Dic-k Tracy Show

It is time for a cartoon review based on a comic strip. Is it Superman? Or maybe the X-Men series? Nope, no such thing. It is about a known policemen. Robocop?! COP??! No, it is Dic-k Tracy! Dic-k Tracy who? The one who persecuted and arrested the worst crooks in his town, and in this short show (approximately five minutes) he has his subordinate flatfoots on his side to stop and get them. A legend from the 30s! Oh, well...

Apart from his vulgar name (seriously who in the world thought at that time that it was a good idea to name their boys Dic-k), it is really a good cartoon with a simple pattern: one of the gangs do a criminal thing and one of the five flatfoots is calling by Tracy himself in order to stop their evil deeds. Sometimes the flatfoots get in trouble and are under the gang's control, but they always have the upper hand at the end and win. In the rarest situations Tracy intervenes, saves one of the helpmates or stops the gang's crime once and for all. And because of the helpmates have different characteristics and skills, I was always excited to see who is chosen this time to fight the crime. That gave the cartoon a tingly tension. Their innuendos and stereotypes didn't bother me, I was a clueless young child when I was watching the episodes. They have these weird, funny, exaggerated and typical cartoon series moments I loved and was a good pasttime, before another long-running cartoon started.

Although it is a very old cartoon produced from 1961 to 1962! - The Dic-k Tracy Show never ain't old in the bygone decades and I admit that I still watch these episodes occasionally. Some minutes of my precious lifetime aren't too long to have fun. And having fun is never a waste of time. My advice to you: watch it! even if it is just for a try.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey! you, @Wise Goldie encourages me with your cartoon polls to revive my old cartoon review thread after almost a year ago. And maybe you have another cartoons in mind I have forgotten or even never watched. Here are the ones I planned to review. Do you know them all? :biggrin: if you know another cartoons between the 70 and 90s, please share them with me, okay?

Wacky Races

A wacky cartoon and a race here we go with Wacky Races, get ready for it. A mere real race is boring and does not make fun? Wacky Races does! To hell with the rules, to hell with fairness. Who needs fairness and rules, if no one cares that the racers are cheating? especially looking at you, Destardly and Muttley...

It is the year 1968 and Wacky Races gave the debut in TV. A long time before the first Mario Kart was released and the very first console games anyway. However, the pattern of this cartoon is exactly like this game series: many race cars competing in a race for the victory and use their features and items in order to catch the cars and the pole position up. But on top of these race courses were Destardly's and Muttley's evil plans in order to win a race at last just to see how they go upside down and prevented a victory. Triple drat, that is the typical, but hilarious humor in cartoons according to my taste. I was very deep into the fictional race and have even my favorite racers I supported and crossed my fingers. :colondollar: At the end of a race I was always happy that Destardly did not win with his bad frauds. I had a fine, but also a weird sense as child for justice (the other competitors cheated too). :wink:. Just a cartoon like Wacky Races is able to awake my interest in motor racing and Mario Kart of course! And I don't still like this kind of sport till this day. :lol:

It is one of the best cartoons Hannah and Barbera produced. I am surprised that still people exist who know it. I would have never expected that it is so popular. That gives me a big smile; it is an evidence for the timeless quality of that studio.

@quasa
@the bear
@AngryJellyfish
(edited 1 year ago)

Wacky Races

A wacky cartoon and a race here we go with Wacky Races, get ready for it. A mere real race is boring and does not make fun? Wacky Races does! To hell with the rules, to hell with fairness. Who needs fairness and rules, if no one cares that the racers are cheating? especially looking at you, Destardly and Muttley...

It is the year 1968 and Wacky Races gave the debut in TV. A long time before the first Mario Kart was released and the very first console games anyway. However, the pattern of this cartoon is exactly like this game series: many race cars competing in a race for the victory and use their features and items in order to catch the cars and the pole position up. But on top of these race courses were Destardly's and Muttley's evil plans in order to win a race at last just to see how they go upside down and prevented a victory. Triple drat, that is the typical, but hilarious humor in cartoons according to my taste. I was very deep into the fictional race and have even my favorite racers I supported and crossed my fingers. :colondollar: At the end of a race I was always happy that Destardly did not win with his bad frauds. I had a fine, but also a weird sense as child for justice (the other competitors cheated too). :wink:. Just a cartoon like Wacky Races is able to awake my interest in motor racing and Mario Kart of course! And I don't still like this kind of sport till this day. :lol:

It is one of the best cartoons Hannah and Barbera produced. I am surprised that still people exist who know it. I would have never expected that it is so popular. That gives me a big smile; it is an evidence for the timeless quality of that studio.

@quasa
@the bear
@AngryJellyfish

We should revive this thread but also include cartoons from the 2000s as they are now considered old school.

Also wacky racers is hands down my fave hannah barbera cartoon
Original post by quasa
We should revive this thread but also include cartoons from the 2000s as they are now considered old school.

Also wacky racers is hands down my fave hannah barbera cartoon.

I am on your side with your 2000s cartoon suggestions. But I need to know them by myself. It makes no sense to write about cartoons I never watched. Do you have any suggestions for 2000s?
I am on your side with your 2000s cartoon suggestions. But I need to know them by myself. It makes no sense to write about cartoons I never watched. Do you have any suggestions for 2000s?

Quite a few :
Venture Bros
Justice League / Justice League unlimited
Kim possible
Proud family
The boondocks
Avatar - the last airbender (it is not an anime)
Codename: kids next door
Xiaolin Showdown
Megas Xlr
Phineas and Ferb
Samurai Jack
Teen Titans
Ben 10 /Alien Force
W. I. T. C. H
Totally Spies
Marvin's Mysteries
Star wars: clone wars
Spectacular Spider-man
The Batman
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 version)

These are a few I can think of re western cartoonsmy favs of that list are samurai jack, Venture Bros, Boondocks (s1-s3), spectacular spiderman, and megas xlr. Be warned, boondocks is very adult and has a lot of non pc humour.

Phineas and ferb is legendary as despite being a children's cartoon, it has a lot of adult fans.

Justice league and JLU are the climax of the timmverse aka the DC Animated Universe which started in the 90s with Batman the Animated Series. The batman cartoon series had a very good opening theme (the 1st one) which was performed by the guitarist from U2, and generally had interesting takes on an early career batman and his villains / supporting cast. Ben 10 is also an iconic children's show from the 00s for children growing up then, with the sequel series like alien force / ultimate alien appealling more towards teens.

The 2003 iteration of teenage mutant ninja turtles is generally regarded as the best animate version of tmnt and is closest to the comics in terms of theme / is more darker than previous or subsequent series.

W. I. T. C. H is a very unusual one on the list as its based on some Italian fantasy books but is a great feminist story which is infinitely better than the crap known as winx.
Whilst on topic of European cartoons, totally spies is still somehow ongoing but started out in the early 00s and is about 3 high school friends ho are secretly spies. Marvin mysteries is a spinoff of totally spies and despite being much shorter, had better episodes imo.

Got any other suggestions @AngryJellyfish
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 147
With a list of that size, I'm surprised you missed out Afro Samurai?
Original post by noggins
With a list of that size, I'm surprised you missed out Afro Samurai?

That is an anime, and thus a Japanese cartoon. I am refering here about cartoons which weren't produced in Japan.

Original post by quasa
Quite a few :
Venture Bros
Justice League / Justice League unlimited
Kim possible
Proud family
The boondocks
Avatar - the last airbender (it is not an anime)
Codename: kids next door
Xiaolin Showdown
Megas Xlr
Phineas and Ferb
Samurai Jack
Teen Titans
Ben 10 /Alien Force
W. I. T. C. H
Totally Spies
Marvin's Mysteries
Star wars: clone wars
Spectacular Spider-man
The Batman
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 version)

(...)

The most of these cartoons are hardly known by myself, that is the problem. What is about Archer and Bojack Horseman? are they old enough to be classics?
That is an anime, and thus a Japanese cartoon. I am refering here about cartoons which weren't produced in Japan.

The most of these cartoons are hardly known by myself, that is the problem. What is about Archer and Bojack Horseman? are they old enough to be classics?

Archer yes, Bojack no
Original post by quasa
Archer yes, Bojack no

Fine. And what do you think of Ugly Americans? this cartoon was aired in 2010 for the first time. Not 'old' enough?
Fine. And what do you think of Ugly Americans? this cartoon was aired in 2010 for the first time. Not 'old' enough?

That'd be 2010s rather than 2000s.

Saying that however, I can't believe I forgot to include American dad as a 2000s cartoon

Quick Reply

Latest