The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Art History at York, is it the right choice?

So, aside from the info listed on the website, how's the department in general. Teaching quality, interdepartmental optional courses, abroad opportunities, placements, undergrad research opportunities, etc. And the thing is that I'm way exceeding the conditional offer they've offered me (AAB, and I've got A*A*A*). So, I do get a feeling that It's not worth it (don't get me wrong, just noticed they only need BBC for clearing applicants.)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So, aside from the info listed on the website, how's the department in general. Teaching quality, interdepartmental optional courses, abroad opportunities, placements, undergrad research opportunities, etc. And the thing is that I'm way exceeding the conditional offer they've offered me (AAB, and I've got A*A*A*). So, I do get a feeling that It's not worth it (don't get me wrong, just noticed they only need BBC for clearing applicants.)

Why did you pick this course originally?
University of York
York

Could the BBC for clearing applicants be a special case for this year only though because of the whole calculate grade thing? Where else did you have in mind instead of York?
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney
Why did you pick this course originally?

Thank you for replying, I guess you are asking the right question. I find the idea of explaining beauty stimulating and after some research, I do find York is a great place for studying British art and declined Courtauld. And before that, It's a long story tbh. I mainly applied to colleges in the US. So actually I only start things on UCAS after their covid situation went off hand (when case hit 100k), which is March or something. Consequently, I missed certain opportunities. But I guess the latter of my question is just rubbish words, I just want to know more about studying art history at York.
Reply 4
Original post by neko no basu
Could the BBC for clearing applicants be a special case for this year only though because of the whole calculate grade thing? Where else did you have in mind instead of York?

Thanks for the reply. I guess you are right, these must be exceptions. So, because of the reasons said on the post above, I think I haven't made full use of everything in my application. Btw, my apologies for misleading this thread, my intention is to learn more about the uni and this course. My bad for adding these words behind.
Reply 5
Thanks for the reply. I guess you are right, these must be exceptions. So, because of the reasons said on the post above, I think I haven't made full use of everything in my application. Btw, my apologies for misleading this thread, my intention is to learn more about the uni and this course. My bad for adding these words behind.

What would you like to know about the uni. The thing is with unis it can be great for one course and not for another. Son had it as his insurance uni for biology where it was rated 3rd in country. He ended up doing a masters there amd it does indeed have a great dept however the English dept was only providing 4hours contact time. So you are actually asking the right questions but probably at the wrong time. With those grades you could go to Oxford. The problem here is Tsr is great for STEM subjects not so good for Art in particular. Lovely campus, historic city but I hope you get an Art historian's view.
That's probably because of the situation right now. In any case, I know someone who just graduated from art history at York and says it's absolutely top quality, Oxbridge style but with friendlier staff. I also remember she was doing a sort of placement in a fancy place in the middle of her degree and I am pretty sure it was through the department, so it might be worth having a look at what kind of partnerships with museums they have.. that would definitely help my decision!
Reply 7

I've got an Art History degree from Cambridge (clearly great but pretty narrow). York have an excellent reputation for having more breadth. Still quite traditional, mind.
Reply 8
Have a look at the old thread Leeds or York for Art History/English. Should be below in list of like threads. Good insight from alumni.
Reply 9
Original post by Scotney
What would you like to know about the uni. The thing is with unis it can be great for one course and not for another. Son had it as his insurance uni for biology where it was rated 3rd in country. He ended up doing a masters there amd it does indeed have a great dept however the English dept was only providing 4hours contact time. So you are actually asking the right questions but probably at the wrong time. With those grades you could go to Oxford. The problem here is Tsr is great for STEM subjects not so good for Art in particular. Lovely campus, historic city but I hope you get an Art historian's view.

Original post by Scotney
Have a look at the old thread Leeds or York for Art History/English. Should be below in list of like threads. Good insight from alumni.

Yes, I fully understand that. And thank you for sharing this inside info. Btw, I've been in contact with York and other institutes when doing my application. The fact is that York's replies towards my queries are real academically professional and always good insights into the department. Also, the reply comes super fast, I guess my first impression on the department was based on that.
Yes, I fully understand that. And thank you for sharing this inside info. Btw, I've been in contact with York and other institutes when doing my application. The fact is that York's replies towards my queries are real academically professional and always good insights into the department. Also, the reply comes super fast, I guess my first impression on the department was based on that.

I think just from looking through some threads York seems highly regarded in this sphere. We did find York very friendly and also very good on the pastoral side too.

Quick Reply

Latest