The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This reminds me of one of albert einstein anecdotes since it mentions the colour white and how he describes it to a blind person.

EINSTEIN was asked by his hostess at a social gathering to explain his theory of relativity. Said the great mathematician,
"Madam, I was once walking in the country on a hot day with a blind friend, and said that I would like a drink of milk."
"Milk?" said my friend, "Drink I know; but what is milk?"
"A white liquid," I replied.
"Liquid I know; but what is white?"
"The colour of a swan's feathers."
"Feathers I know; what is a swan?"
"A bird with a crooked neck."
"Neck I know; but what is this crooked?"
"Thereupon I lost patience. I seized his arm and straightened it. "That's straight," I said; and then I bent it at the elbow. "That's crooked."
"Ah!" said the blind man, "Now I know what you mean by milk!"EINSTEIN was asked by his hostess at a social gathering to explain his theory of relativity. Said the great mathematician,
"Madam, I was once walking in the country on a hot day with a blind friend, and said that I would like a drink of milk."
"Milk?" said my friend, "Drink I know; but what is milk?"
"A white liquid," I replied.
"Liquid I know; but what is white?"
"The colour of a swan's feathers."
"Feathers I know; what is a swan?"
"A bird with a crooked neck."
"Neck I know; but what is this crooked?"
"Thereupon I lost patience. I seized his arm and straightened it. "That's straight," I said; and then I bent it at the elbow. "That's crooked."
"Ah!" said the blind man, "Now I know what you mean by milk!"
Reply 41
Afaik it's impossible to describe colours, it's also not guaranteed that we all see the same colours. My green could be your red etc, it's just how your brain interprets the wavelengths of light hitting the cones. But if we tried to explain what we saw, it would be impossible, because everything 'blue' would be 'red' to someone else, if you get me.. :s-smilie:
Reply 42
lawrywild
Afaik it's impossible to describe colours, it's also not guaranteed that we all see the same colours. My green could be your red etc, it's just how your brain interprets the wavelengths of light hitting the cones. But if we tried to explain what we saw, it would be impossible, because everything 'blue' would be 'red' to someone else, if you get me.. :s-smilie:

our eyes are also more sensitive to some colours than others. this is due to the fact that we have different numbers of blue/red and green cone cells in our retinas, an interesting consequence of this is that car manufacturers provide red cars at lower prices than say black or blue. This is because our eyes are most sensitive to the red spectrum of visible light, and therefore reds effectively fade faster than other colours
Reply 43
I read an article on this. Apparently the only way is to give them a hot object to hold, and tell them this is red. And give them a very cold object (i.e ice cube) and tell them its blue. What you see is black. And go from there. Apparently their brain maybe able to map something out...
Its like explaining what sound sounds like to death people. You can't describe/explain a sense to someone that has never had that sense.

I think blind people can see brightness and darkness (in their mind). Colours however, they cannot imagine it at all.
Reply 45
Igloo_cone
I read an article on this. Apparently the only way is to give them a hot object to hold, and tell them this is red. And give them a very cold object (i.e ice cube) and tell them its blue. What you see is black. And go from there. Apparently their brain maybe able to map something out...

i think this is similair to what autistic people experience. they can taste colours and such... LSD also has similair effects
Reply 46
swigger
i think this is similair to what autistic people experience. they can taste colours and such... LSD also has similair effects

Meh. Give them Skittles. Taste the Rainbow. :p:
Reply 47
swigger

Hmm wow interesting. I wonder what colours taste of!
Reply 48
You can't.
Squeegy
You can't.

Please don't bump really old threads. Take note of the time stamp on threads before bumping them.

Latest

Trending

Trending