The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Good afternoon :smile: I was just wondering what the upper character limit for posting in the PS help is. I've cut mine down to 4769 and I'm struggling to cut anymore, but am I right to presume that as it's an Oxbridge application then you'll rip it to shreds and I'll lose this many characters anyway?

Thanks guys :biggrin:
Original post by JonnyTic
Good afternoon :smile: I was just wondering what the upper character limit for posting in the PS help is. I've cut mine down to 4769 and I'm struggling to cut anymore, but am I right to presume that as it's an Oxbridge application then you'll rip it to shreds and I'll lose this many characters anyway?

PS help is an equal opportunity statement shredder, committed to helping people get into any university. Oxbridge statements don't get shredded more than any others, however much they may need it. The Ucas limit is 4000 characters, including spaces and lines between paragraphs. Since you only get one crack at PS help, make it as finished a draft as you can before posting.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 262
Original post by carnationlilyrose
PS help is an equal opportunity statement shredder, committed to helping people get into any university. Oxbridge statements don't get shredded more than any others, however much they may need it. The limit is 4000 characters, including spaces and lines between paragraphs.

Looks like I've got work to do, thank you :smile:
Original post by JonnyTic

In addition to what carnationlilyrose has said, 4500 characters is usually the max we will review but please do try and cut it down to as close as 4000 as you can.
Reply 264
hey,

my ps is written to cater for applications to a politcs course. reckon i could use the same one for a politics and international relations?

thank you
Original post by olympic
hey,

my ps is written to cater for applications to a politcs course. reckon i could use the same one for a politics and international relations?

thank you

Yes - but you might want to add in at least a sentence or two around IR - it wont count against a straight politics application.
I've decided to re-apply for a different course this September, having completed the first year of my current undergraduate course in June, which means I'll have to take an enforced gap year. This will most likely be spent in a job, if I can find one, and is very unlikely to be related to the course I'm applying for so I would like to ask how I would go about writing a personal statement in these circumstances. The two courses are not too dissimiliar so could I link relevant aspects of the first year to the course I'm applying for? Also, I gather that it's not a good idea to drone on about excuses for the unsuitability of your old course and that it's better to focus on the reasons why you're applying for the new course. Lastly, since my gap year plans are rather uninspiring and not related to the course, is it really necessary to talk about them?

Any help in answering the questions above would be much appreciated!
Original post by Indecisive me.....
I've decided to re-apply for a different course this September, having completed the first year of my current undergraduate course in June, which means I'll have to take an enforced gap year. This will most likely be spent in a job, if I can find one, and is very unlikely to be related to the course I'm applying for so I would like to ask how I would go about writing a personal statement in these circumstances. The two courses are not too dissimiliar so could I link relevant aspects of the first year to the course I'm applying for? Also, I gather that it's not a good idea to drone on about excuses for the unsuitability of your old course and that it's better to focus on the reasons why you're applying for the new course. Lastly, since my gap year plans are rather uninspiring and not related to the course, is it really necessary to talk about them?

Any help in answering the questions above would be much appreciated!

If they are linked, then you can talk about what interested you in your first year at your previous uni (related to your new course). Your work experience doesn't need to be related to your course choice, but it would be a good idea to do other things related to your course, like some more reading. A brief talk about your gap year plans may be required (check with the uni), but not a long time
If i have written my statement but its only 17 lines and 1500 characters is it too short.
I feel i have put everything i need to in there im just worried that it will get disregarded due to its length :/
Original post by Rainbow_Calm
If i have written my statement but its only 17 lines and 1500 characters is it too short.
I feel i have put everything i need to in there im just worried that it will get disregarded due to its length :/

That is far too short. You need to make full use of the line limit (that's the limit you usually hit first). Check out the guide in my signature below "Writing your personal statement" for some guidance on writing your PS and hopefully that will give you some ideas.
I want to study maths at university. In my PS I have a whole paragraph talking about why I find maths beautiful and Euler's identity. Do you think this is a waste of space? Am I allowed to post questions like this here, or am I supposed to do it in the PS Helper bit?
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyone?
Original post by brittanna
I want to study maths at university. In my PS I have a whole paragraph talking about why I find maths beautiful and Euler's identity. Do you think this is a waste of space? Am I allowed to post questions like this here, or am I supposed to do it in the PS Helper bit?

Sounds like a decent use of space - so long as it is about YOUR personal opinions and not just rehashing the theories/etc in your own words (if that makes sense).

More relevant to the mathematicians who will read it that DoE awards or playing the flute :biggrin:
Would it look bad if I don't have any irrelevant ECs (e.g. don't play for a team or an instrument, no DoE etc?) I have a job outside of school but that's about it...
Reply 274
Is it OK to say macro and micro in economics PSs or do I have to stick with macroeconomics and microeconomics?
I'm not exactly clear about the UCL languages policy? Is it or is it not compulsory to state that French is not my first language? I thought it was (although a stupid policy) WHen my PS was reviewed I was told I might as wel just have my reference do it (this makes more sense to me!)
Reply 276
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Would it look bad if I don't have any irrelevant ECs (e.g. don't play for a team or an instrument, no DoE etc?) I have a job outside of school but that's about it...

That's probably OK, depends slightly where you're applying but it's not worth taking something up just to put on your statement. It's fine (indeed better in some cases) if your statement is mainly about your subject.
to those saying no to quotations, I made my own, every university I was interviewed by loved it. I was let into Manchester mech eng for BBC giving me the offer on my PS and referance... normal offer AAA-AAB, shame I didn't make it come results day
Reply 278
I've been working on my statement over the past few days. My original draft was 4400 characters, my tutor said that it needs trimming down but the actual content of the statement is pretty good. I've manged to cut it down to 3800 characters, but the guide on TSR said that the line limit was more important due to leaving lines between paragraphs. However including extra lines between paragraphs it's 2 lines too long. Are the extra lines really necessary? I don't really want to cut much more out as I run the risk of it not making much sense, or at least being not particularly articulate.
Original post by Joel95
I've been working on my statement over the past few days. My original draft was 4400 characters, my tutor said that it needs trimming down but the actual content of the statement is pretty good. I've manged to cut it down to 3800 characters, but the guide on TSR said that the line limit was more important due to leaving lines between paragraphs. However including extra lines between paragraphs it's 2 lines too long. Are the extra lines really necessary? I don't really want to cut much more out as I run the risk of it not making much sense, or at least being not particularly articulate.

You don't need to have blank lines, if that's what you're asking.
For example;
I want to study subject x because...
My passion for the past three years has been exotic mushroom collecting and this is relevant to my application because...
Is fine, you don't need to put a blank line in between the two paragraphs.
In fact, I think UCAS might squash blank lines out anyway, when you paste it in (don't quote me on this, it's been nearly a year! :smile: ).
Good luck!
EDIT: You don't need to have blank lines, but the opinions of most of the moderators on TSR is that they are advantageous to your application. Not going to lie, I don't know anyone who did leave spaces, but there we go. I stand corrected. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending