The Student Room Group
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flxr3nc3
hi! I'm sure it would be no issue at all to change your name within the uni and I'm sure the other people in the flat would have no issue using your preferred pronouns! which flat are you in? xx

Original post by eilidh__
Hi! Im sure your roomates will refer to you with your correct name and pronouns, and im sure you'll be able to make the lecturers aware of your correct name and pronouns as well :smile:. What subject is it that you're gonna be studying at napier?

Thanks guys :smile:
I'm studying Software Engineering!
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University
Reply 221
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks guys :smile:
I'm studying Software Engineering!

Does that mean you'll be at the Merchiston campus? I'll be there for Acting! Hopefully you'll be able to introduce yourself to your flatmates as your proper/chosen name and they'll be decent human beings, there shouldn't be a problem there! If you let your lecturers know ASAP which name to use, there shouldn't be a problem with accidental deadnaming and resulting confusion, which is the absolute last thing you need!
Most people will probably be more than fine with it - once you get to uni, people will generally be less butt-y than highschool kids and staff can be. Best of luck! :biggrin:
Hey!

I'm a trans girl and I've accepted my accommodation offer and I'm starting in September, however I just wanted to ask a few questions with regards to me being trans just to see if anyone could help me please.

Firstly, I applied using my birth/legal name, and that's what's written on all my documents and my key collection pass and my accommodation and everything, and I guess it's the name which is on every document related to uni. I haven't legally changed my name yet, however I was wondering if it's possible to get my name changed anyway and make my professors/lecturers aware of the fact that I'm trans so they use my chosen name and she/her pronouns instead of what's written on the documents which I applied with.

Secondly, I doubt that there'll be an issue, however I just wanted to make sure, but in terms of the 5 other people in my flat, would I be able to get them to use my chosen name and pronouns too?

Thanks a lot :redface:

Heyy! Congrats on being offered a place with us! Glad to hear accommodation is sorted too! I checked with our accommodation team who advised that legally for the purpose of the tenancy agreement we would need to use a student's legal name until an official name change has been approved. With this being said, we do not give this information out to other students/flatmates due to GDPR restrictions therefore the student has the control over what information, if any, they chose to share with their peer group. The Accommodation Team is happy to change the name on our student record to ensure staff use the preferred name of choice as appose to the name stated on the Tenancy Agreement.

This is very similar to your student records within the university once you have completed the matriculation process. Students have the option to add their preferred name for Academic staff and professional services to use when viewing their student record

I hope this information helps, if there is anything else that we can help with, please give us a shout!

Thanks

Steph @ ENU
Original post by ENUOfficial
Heyy! Congrats on being offered a place with us! Glad to hear accommodation is sorted too! I checked with our accommodation team who advised that legally for the purpose of the tenancy agreement we would need to use a student's legal name until an official name change has been approved. With this being said, we do not give this information out to other students/flatmates due to GDPR restrictions therefore the student has the control over what information, if any, they chose to share with their peer group. The Accommodation Team is happy to change the name on our student record to ensure staff use the preferred name of choice as appose to the name stated on the Tenancy Agreement.

This is very similar to your student records within the university once you have completed the matriculation process. Students have the option to add their preferred name for Academic staff and professional services to use when viewing their student record

I hope this information helps, if there is anything else that we can help with, please give us a shout!

Thanks

Steph @ ENU

Thanks for the reply!!!

So if I understand correctly, for the legal/official stuff you have to use my birth name, however for day-to-day stuff I can give my preferred name to my friends/flatmates/other people if I want to, and I can ask my professors to use my chosen name too and that's all okay? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I just want to clarify so I know what I can do when I get there :tongue:
Has anyone heard back for Biomedical Science or still waiting? Any recent replies?
Original post by eilidh__
Hi! I firmed napier 2 days ago now and ive still not received a conformation email from the uni and everytime i try to apply for accomodation it doesn't allow me. Anyone else having this issue?

Hi Eilidh

Please can you contact our admissions team on 0131 455 2883 so that they can check that your offer has been updated and can then get your Edinburgh Napier number. Any other issues, please give me a shout!

Thanks

Steph @ ENU
Thanks for the reply!!!

So if I understand correctly, for the legal/official stuff you have to use my birth name, however for day-to-day stuff I can give my preferred name to my friends/flatmates/other people if I want to, and I can ask my professors to use my chosen name too and that's all okay? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I just want to clarify so I know what I can do when I get there :tongue:

You are most welcome! That's absolutely correct, you can also reach out to your programme leader initially and have a quick chat with them too.

Best of luck with your studies :biggrin:

Steph @ ENU
Has anyone heard back for Biomedical Science or still waiting? Any recent replies?

Hello! Depending on when you applied will give us a rough time frame on when you should expect a decision from our admissions team. If you are happy to DM us your application number and name I can look into this for you?

Thanks

Steph @ ENU
You are most welcome! That's absolutely correct, you can also reach out to your programme leader initially and have a quick chat with them too.

Best of luck with your studies :biggrin:

Steph @ ENU

Ahhh that's great, thanks so much, hopefully it'll all go well :biggrin:
Reply 229
Hello,Just received a conditional off for a DL MSc in advanced security and digital forensics. Once my employer submits my reference im hoping to be able to firm up. Anyone else due to start in Sept? Be good to get a group chat going. I have colleagues who have just completed this course and they talked about how valuable a peer connection group was.All the bestDarren
Same though staging out intakes throughout june July and August
Do you have any details yet? Or have you matriculated
Original post by rachb9
Me too! I deferred from last year because of Covid. Really looking forward to it. X

Hi yeah me too, but also moving up permanently to live in Scotland. It fell through.
Now in middle of process of moving up again.. Hope things go to plan this time
Have you heard about matriculation and getting accommodation
Reply 233
Original post by squeeek2
Do you have any details yet? Or have you matriculated

Nothing yet, my references have gone through last week. I know PG admissions are busy so i'm expecting something soon. I have turned down offers with Liverpool, leeds and wrexham that were due to start so fingers crossed no issues
Original post by Dmac7
Hello,Just received a conditional off for a DL MSc in advanced security and digital forensics. Once my employer submits my reference im hoping to be able to firm up. Anyone else due to start in Sept? Be good to get a group chat going. I have colleagues who have just completed this course and they talked about how valuable a peer connection group was.All the bestDarren

Heyy Darren!

Congratulations on your offer to study with us on our ASDF course! The programme leader works really hard to get students engaged with each other once term starts, this is typically on the moodle forum and their channel on slack too I believe! Definitely reach out to get this information if it's not immediately circulated!

Best of luck with this, I really hope that you enjoy the course. :smile:

Steph @ ENU
Hello! Depending on when you applied will give us a rough time frame on when you should expect a decision from our admissions team. If you are happy to DM us your application number and name I can look into this for you?

Thanks

Steph @ ENU

Hi Steph, I'm so sorry I just saw this! I actually got an offer the day after you sent this, thank you so much anyway!
Original post by Jaggysnake91
I'm definitely thinking about applying to Napier for 3rd year entry to BA Journalism - currently finishing my HND. So difficult to decide what to do next in such an uncertain world.

Will be 2nd year.. With HND. In Scotland. Third year though if in England University with HND.
What date was the final submission? I’m so nervous I’m going to miss it abs have no idea when it even is

Latest