The Student Room Group

Will I still become a lawyer even if I don’t go to a prestigious university ?

Will I still become a lawyer and be accepted into a diploma if I don’t go to a prestigious university such as Edinburgh or Glasgow but rather go somewhere like RGU, Napier or Caledonian. Will it affect my chances at finding a good job or can experience make up for it.
Original post by M_3542
Will I still become a lawyer and be accepted into a diploma if I don’t go to a prestigious university such as Edinburgh or Glasgow but rather go somewhere like RGU, Napier or Caledonian. Will it affect my chances at finding a good job or can experience make up for it.

You could perhaps do a Masters degree at Edinburgh or Glasgow. 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
You could perhaps do a Masters degree at Edinburgh or Glasgow. 🙂

But would I have to
Original post by M_3542
But would I have to

There is 'fierce' competition for training contracts and increasingly Master's degrees are becoming more common. 🙂
Original post by M_3542

Hi there

Law is certainly a competitive degree, and it can be difficult to obtain work experience.

However, I believe not going to a prestigious University does not automatically eliminate your chances of becoming a lawyer. There are many students that do not find training contracts immediately, however this is made up for by work experience. Students often find it easier to get started with legal secretary roles or paralegal roles before training to qualify as a lawyer.

Whilst firms do favour prestigious Universities, years of work experience in the field of law can definitely boost your application and make you stand out amongst competition.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

Law is certainly a competitive degree, and it can be difficult to obtain work experience.

However, I believe not going to a prestigious University does not automatically eliminate your chances of becoming a lawyer. There are many students that do not find training contracts immediately, however this is made up for by work experience. Students often find it easier to get started with legal secretary roles or paralegal roles before training to qualify as a lawyer.

Whilst firms do favour prestigious Universities, years of work experience in the field of law can definitely boost your application and make you stand out amongst competition.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

So it would disadvantage me
Reply 6
Original post by M2006
Law is one of the most competitive degrees and careers. It's not to say that you won't become a lawyer if you don't go somewhere prestigious, but you also have to consider the fact that the reason these universities are prestigious and well regarded is because the student body reflects this. Employers prefer people from these universities because they know that they are highly intelligent and hard working, its self selecting. The majority of the top lawyers went to extremely good schools, and the reason that they're top lawyers has very little to do with the fact they went to these schools, but rather that they met the entry requirements and were able to. If you are really good enough and smart enough to make it as a lawyer, where you went won't matter greatly. It may make things slightly harder at the start, but it is achievable. Really consider the reason that you're not going to a top uni though. Is it because you struggle with exams? Didn't work hard enough? Or some extenuating circumstances which made you not perform as well? If the answer is anything but the last, maybe law isn't the right choice...

It was due to extenuating circumstances……
Reply 7
Original post by M2006
Law is one of the most competitive degrees and careers. It's not to say that you won't become a lawyer if you don't go somewhere prestigious, but you also have to consider the fact that the reason these universities are prestigious and well regarded is because the student body reflects this. Employers prefer people from these universities because they know that they are highly intelligent and hard working, its self selecting. The majority of the top lawyers went to extremely good schools, and the reason that they're top lawyers has very little to do with the fact they went to these schools, but rather that they met the entry requirements and were able to. If you are really good enough and smart enough to make it as a lawyer, where you went won't matter greatly. It may make things slightly harder at the start, but it is achievable. Really consider the reason that you're not going to a top uni though. Is it because you struggle with exams? Didn't work hard enough? Or some extenuating circumstances which made you not perform as well? If the answer is anything but the last, maybe law isn't the right choice...

So would no law firm hire me if I get my degree from Napier. What if I go to a prestigious uni for my diploma ?
Reply 8
Original post by M_3542
So would no law firm hire me if I get my degree from Napier. What if I go to a prestigious uni for my diploma ?

A law firm would absolutely hire from Napier, provided that you can show you're a talented and hardworking individual. As I said, anyone that is smart enough is able to become a top lawyer. Take every opportunity that you can, prove to the law firms that you are able to achieve everything a student from another university can do. Employers go to presigious universities first because there is a higher percentage of students who will be in the top percentile in the country, but they will not simply turn you away because you happened to go to somewhere else. Hard work, intelligence and a good attitude will get you almost anywhere you want to go.
Reply 9
Original post by M2006
A law firm would absolutely hire from Napier, provided that you can show you're a talented and hardworking individual. As I said, anyone that is smart enough is able to become a top lawyer. Take every opportunity that you can, prove to the law firms that you are able to achieve everything a student from another university can do. Employers go to presigious universities first because there is a higher percentage of students who will be in the top percentile in the country, but they will not simply turn you away because you happened to go to somewhere else. Hard work, intelligence and a good attitude will get you almost anywhere you want to go.

Ok thank you so much for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending