The Student Room Group

anxiety + med school

idk if this is the right forum and this might be a silly question but anyways,

i have this issue which i’m 90% sure is related to anxiety where my stomach makes growling noises even when i’m not hungry. it literally only makes these noises when i’m in a quiet classroom (v embarrassing). i also generally get nervous (for no reason) when i’m in lessons. i was going to seek professional help for this but would the GP/therapist put this on my “records”? not that that’s a problem for me but i’m in year 13 rn and applying for medicine this year so if the unis i apply to find out that i have anxiety, would this be a “red flag” type of thing, making it less likely for me to get accepted onto a medicine course:frown: ? bc don’t med schools do some type of health checks to make sure all their potential students are suitable enough?
Original post by Anonymous

i have this issue which i’m 90% sure is related to anxiety where my stomach makes growling noises even when i’m not hungry. it literally only makes these noises when i’m in a quiet classroom (v embarrassing). i also generally get nervous (for no reason) when i’m in lessons. i was going to seek professional help for this but would the GP/therapist put this on my “records”? not that that’s a problem for me but i’m in year 13 rn and applying for medicine this year so if the unis i apply to find out that i have anxiety, would this be a “red flag” type of thing, making it less likely for me to get accepted onto a medicine course:frown: ? bc don’t med schools do some type of health checks to make sure all their potential students are suitable enough?

Omg my stomach does the EXACT same thing so I literally over eat to prevent that😭 but I have no idea whyyy!! It needs to stop because I’m starting university soon and how embarrassing would that be. When I’m at home that only happens when I’m hungry otherwise.
Reply 2
Omg my stomach does the EXACT same thing so I literally over eat to prevent that😭 but I have no idea whyyy!! It needs to stop because I’m starting university soon and how embarrassing would that be. When I’m at home that only happens when I’m hungry otherwise.

it’s so embarrassing bc no one else in my classes stomach does that 😭😭 i just wanna stop the noises tbh, i’d rather have just the general nervousness than the nervousness WITH THE STOMACH NOISES. i try to over eat too but then i just feel nauseous;-;
It's a natural response to the nervousness, I think. I have a worse version of it called IBS but that doesn't mean you have it or are going to get it too!
What I would suggest it confront what makes you nervous. My friend use to get a really red face because he felt like people were staring at him in lessons. I said that he should actually put up his hands and ask questions to the teacher out loud when he asks for answers, he was against it at first but as he did his face problem went away.
In my case, whenever I feel stressed or nervous my stomach decides to make whale calls without consent. It helped to do some exercise as it reduced the symptoms/ confront what makes you nervous (so it doesn't anymore) or simply avoid situations that make you nervous (this can be done by sitting with a close friend in most classes as you can usually talk to them). Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by AveragexStudent
It's a natural response to the nervousness, I think. I have a worse version of it called IBS but that doesn't mean you have it or are going to get it too!
What I would suggest it confront what makes you nervous. My friend use to get a really red face because he felt like people were staring at him in lessons. I said that he should actually put up his hands and ask questions to the teacher out loud when he asks for answers, he was against it at first but as he did his face problem went away.
In my case, whenever I feel stressed or nervous my stomach decides to make whale calls without consent. It helped to do some exercise as it reduced the symptoms/ confront what makes you nervous (so it doesn't anymore) or simply avoid situations that make you nervous (this can be done by sitting with a close friend in most classes as you can usually talk to them). Hope this helps!

thank u for ur response :smile: the thing is, i don’t know what in particular makes me nervous, i just know that it’s something to do with school. what type of exercise did u do ??
thank u for ur response :smile: the thing is, i don’t know what in particular makes me nervous, i just know that it’s something to do with school. what type of exercise did u do ??

The exercise is anything that gets the heart pumping really fast. What I do, which I don't know if its recommended, is I put some headphones and play my favourite music or do the exercise in front of the TV so I'll be watching Netflix in the background. Then I would just run on the spot, star jumps, pushup etc. Whatever made me sweat for around 20 minutes.
Don't worry about the time when starting out if your body can't handle it. Start of with 7mins then work your way up.

The reason why I think exercise works is the sympathetic nervous system is stimulated during that time similar to when your nervous. As you exercise more your body should get use to it and reduce the symptoms you feel. Then again this is just a theory and im going medical school so im still not a doctor. Lol
it’s so embarrassing bc no one else in my classes stomach does that 😭😭 i just wanna stop the noises tbh, i’d rather have just the general nervousness than the nervousness WITH THE STOMACH NOISES. i try to over eat too but then i just feel nauseous;-;

Ikr 😭 I don’t know why it decides to happen when the class is quiet as well! Makes it so much worse and then I just drink water to try and stop it and fill myself up again😂 then there’s people who don’t eat all day and I don’t hear a single rumble or grumble from their stomach😂😭
Reply 7
Original post by AveragexStudent
The exercise is anything that gets the heart pumping really fast. What I do, which I don't know if its recommended, is I put some headphones and play my favourite music or do the exercise in front of the TV so I'll be watching Netflix in the background. Then I would just run on the spot, star jumps, pushup etc. Whatever made me sweat for around 20 minutes.
Don't worry about the time when starting out if your body can't handle it. Start of with 7mins then work your way up.

The reason why I think exercise works is the sympathetic nervous system is stimulated during that time similar to when your nervous. As you exercise more your body should get use to it and reduce the symptoms you feel. Then again this is just a theory and im going medical school so im still not a doctor. Lol

alright, thank u so much 😭
Reply 8
Ikr 😭 I don’t know why it decides to happen when the class is quiet as well! Makes it so much worse and then I just drink water to try and stop it and fill myself up again😂 then there’s people who don’t eat all day and I don’t hear a single rumble or grumble from their stomach😂😭

omg fr, when the class is loud, my stomach wants to be silent but as soon as it gets quiet, it starts screaming

Medical schools don't have access to your health records. Doctors and medical students are entitled to the same rights as anyone else regarding confidentiality.

You have to complete an occupational health questionnaire when you start medical school. The point of this is to identify ways to help you if you need it. It's not a test of "suitability".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending