The Student Room Group

Auto driving lessons

So I’ve been doing manual lessons and I know everyone says it takes a while to kind of get it and stuff but I just don’t think it’s for me and I also don’t see myself driving a manual in the future either. I’ve already booked lessons with a new instructor so I really am dedicated to just learning auto. I don’t mind the fact that I’ll only be able to drive autos in the future and stuff.
I guess what I’m worried about is what other people will think, I know I shouldn’t rly think like that but I can’t help it, there’s a lot of reasons why automatic lessons would be better for me, which I won’t go into, but my mum and dad have just been rude, frustrated and disappointed with me as well, so idk what the point of this post is but I guess I wanted to rant.
You don't need to tell anyone whether your license was in manual or auto. And tbh after a while no one will really care or even ask.

An auto license is fine if you only intend to drive vehicles. Having manual is nice as well, but if you have had enough lessons and still can't get to grips with it then auto will be fine. I know its hard but ignore your parents thoughts.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve been doing manual lessons and I know everyone says it takes a while to kind of get it and stuff but I just don’t think it’s for me and I also don’t see myself driving a manual in the future either. I’ve already booked lessons with a new instructor so I really am dedicated to just learning auto. I don’t mind the fact that I’ll only be able to drive autos in the future and stuff.
I guess what I’m worried about is what other people will think, I know I shouldn’t rly think like that but I can’t help it, there’s a lot of reasons why automatic lessons would be better for me, which I won’t go into, but my mum and dad have just been rude, frustrated and disappointed with me as well, so idk what the point of this post is but I guess I wanted to rant.

The only time having an automatic licence matters is that you can't drive a manual car. Seeing as you don't intend on ever driving a manual car... it shouldn't matter. If you're set on passing your driving test, that should be your end goal regardless of whether it's manual or automatic. Your parents might have reacted badly, but just remind them that 1) it's your choice, 2) it's now either automatic or give up learning to drive all together.
Why would anyone else care that you drive an automatic - or is this just because of your parents' reaction??
Reply 3
Original post by Emily_B
The only time having an automatic licence matters is that you can't drive a manual car. Seeing as you don't intend on ever driving a manual car... it shouldn't matter. If you're set on passing your driving test, that should be your end goal regardless of whether it's manual or automatic. Your parents might have reacted badly, but just remind them that 1) it's your choice, 2) it's now either automatic or give up learning to drive all together.
Why would anyone else care that you drive an automatic - or is this just because of your parents' reaction??

I’m honestly just receiving a lot of pressure and comments from both my parents, I guess I’ll just have to talk to them again, thanks. And I guess there’s this ‘manual’ culture in the UK where most people do pass in a manual so I guess I’d feel a little self conscious but I’ll have to get over it.
Reply 4
Original post by chelseafan
You don't need to tell anyone whether your license was in manual or auto. And tbh after a while no one will really care or even ask.

An auto license is fine if you only intend to drive vehicles. Having manual is nice as well, but if you have had enough lessons and still can't get to grips with it then auto will be fine. I know its hard but ignore your parents thoughts.

Thanks, I’ll just have to talk to my parents tomorrow about this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending