The Student Room Group

Sixth form organisation

I take English lit, philosophy of re n ethics and politics with an epq. Can I have organisation tips, I’m gonna be using plastic wallets but I need to know if it better to write my notes in a notebook or on loose sheets of paper and then put them in folders - I work better with notebooks but I think people say it’s not effective at alevel so idk and just other tips would be helpful too please :smile:
Reply 1
I found it much easier to work on loose sheets, as it makes it much easier to rearrange and take things out once you've summarised them and don't need all the original clutter anymore. If you prefer notebooks, you could get a pad of lined paper and keep your work in there until you've finished a topic, then take the pages out and organise them before you start the next topic? Just helps you keep organised and keep on top of everything (plus you don't feel the pressure to have "perfect" notes that often comes with using pretty notebooks).
Reply 2
Original post by Interea
I found it much easier to work on loose sheets, as it makes it much easier to rearrange and take things out once you've summarised them and don't need all the original clutter anymore. If you prefer notebooks, you could get a pad of lined paper and keep your work in there until you've finished a topic, then take the pages out and organise them before you start the next topic? Just helps you keep organised and keep on top of everything (plus you don't feel the pressure to have "perfect" notes that often comes with using pretty notebooks).

Thank you so much - would it be a pain for the teachers to have to take in a notebook if I went down that route (like for homework) I appreciate ur reply, also should I start flash cards now do u think? Or am i being too extra?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much - would it be a pain for the teachers to have to take in a notebook if I went down that route (like for homework) I appreciate ur reply, also should I start flash cards now do u think? Or am i being too extra?

At least in my Sixth form, the teachers were very chill about work, as long as it was neat they didn't mind if it was in a book or on loose paper (we got given books for some subjects so they expected books but also didn't mind paper, so I guess it works vice versa). The one thing to keep in mind is if you were planning to have separate notebooks for homework/notes and for different teachers - teachers can take a while to mark homework, so you don't want to be without all your other work for however long it takes them then you'd be better off doing homework on loose sheets and saving the notebooks for notes.

With regards to flashcards, I didn't use them for my subjects, but I did make summary sheets - I started about midway through year 12, although I would have been less stressed starting around November time. This gives you a chance to get to know the basics of your subjects so you know what you're actually talking about and can make sure your flashcards make sense, while making sure you're keeping on top of the content to save you having to do a ton of catch up over the summer/year 13. Then I just tried to keep on top of them one topic at a time, with the knowledge that I had all summer to catch up if I needed more time for homework/mock revision etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending