The Student Room Group

(UPDATED) how can i adapt my maths degree so i can study mechanical engineering

Hi, I am just entering my third year of a BSc Maths degree at Queen Mary. I am pretty sure (although don't want to be too complacent!) that i will get a 1st class honours. However I have decided that i want to go into mechanical engineering. Having spoken to engineers and spending a few weeks at several companies, i have concluded that doing a second degree in mechanical engineering is the most suitable option. The unis that i have considered are the likes of Imperial, UCL, southampton etc.

So far, for my maths degree, I have studied (and got an A in) the following modules:

Calc I
Calc II
Calc III
Computational Maths
Discrete Maths
Probability I
Probability II
Fundamentals of Stats I
Fundamentals of Stats II
Geometry I
Geometry II
Complex Variables
Dynamics of Physical Systems
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra I

The choices I have for my final year are (i deleted the ones i know are irrelevant to mech engineering):

Actuarial Mathematics
Advanced Algorithmic Mathematics
Algebraic Structures I
Algebraic Structures II
Algorithmic Graph Theory
Chaos and Fractals
Coding Theory
Combinatorics
Cryptography
Design of Experiments
Differential and Integral Analysis
Extremal Combinatorics
Fluid Dynamics
Further Topics in Mathematical Finance
Group Theory
Introduction to Dynamical Systems
Introduction to Mathematical Finance
Introduction to Numerical Computing
Linear Algebra II
Linear Operators and Differential Equations
Mathematical Problem Solving
Number Theory
Oscillations, Waves and Patterns
Probability III
Relativity
Relativity and Gravitation
Sets, Logic and Categories
Time Series

I haven't spoken to any universities at this stage, so i dont know where i stand, but i have assumed that if i do enough relevant mathematical modules that are related to engineering, that i will be able to skip the 1st year of the course. Is this a correct assumption? The reason i assume this is because, looking at the course list of Mechanical Engineering degrees at several universities, some of the modules i have already done (diff equations, calculus, algebra etc) are also compulsary courses for the Engineering degree.

However even though i know the synopsis of most of the courses i listed above, i do not know enough about mech engineering to know if they are related to ME. So, i was looking for some advice from ME undergrands and postgrads on which of those modules are related to engineering, and therefore which ones u advise me to choose in my third year for Maths. Also, my university has an Engineering Department, and so i may be able to take several modules from there.

Thanks
Reply 1
mazammit
I have concluded that doing a second degree in mechanical engineering is the most suitable option.

really? Have you looked at which post-grad MSc courses you are eligible to get one? I think this would be a better route for you.

My best advice is to email around the universities engineering departments and ask them what would be available coming straight from maths. You should state what relevant modules you have done in your email. Try it and let us know how you get on.
Reply 2
Well i have spoken to postgrad engineers and was told that in general engineers are based on their basic degree rather than their masters, and so it will be tough to get a decent job. I was also told that actually getting a MSc in mechanical engineering would be tough if i have only done a maths degree, since even though the maths side is there, i would be seriously lacking in the engineering side.

But i will follow your advice and let u know how it goes.

However i would still like some advice from people on here about which modules to take in the forthcoming year, as no matter whether i choose the MSc route or the bachelors route, i still want to do as many modules relevant to mechanical engineering as possible.

Thanks
Reply 3
I've just finished doing my BSc in Maths and I'm going to be doing my MSc in Aerospace Engineering. I just chose modules which would benefit as much as possible.
If I were you I would choose any modules with Differential Equations, linear algebra or fluid mechanics. Perhaps even dynamical systems, it gives an application to differential equations. Anything really which is more to the applied side of mathematics and away from finance and probability side of it.
You're lucky I didn't have nearly as much choice as that, I had to take up an optional Project to keep my credits up and not do statistics.
Reply 4
Well ive done diff equations and dynamical systems which is good. There is a fluid dynamics course which i can take. Apparantly its very hard. I spoke to the lecturer and he said its much harder than the fluid dynamics that they offer in a engineering degree. However i like a challenge!

From what u have heard, is a MSc as respected as a bachelors in the engineering field?
Reply 5
Well I applied for graduate schemes in the field and said that I had tried to do as many applied mathematics modules as possible. I got a couple interviews with aerospace companies for engineering, I didn't get through but I thought if I could get that far without having the practical experience hopefully doing a one year course would vastly improve my chances.

But definitely choose the fluid dynamics module, I did a project in aerofoil theory and incompressible fluid dynamics. I've just looked at the description for a year long module in my MSc and I will be studying exactly this.
It may be quite hard but as long as you get the basics down you should be able to score well. It was my best mark in my third year.
Reply 6
Ok so ive started the new semester, and am allowed to take 4 engineering modules on top of the 4 maths modules i will be doing. I have emailed several universities which offer a mechanical engineering MSc and given them a list of the mechanical engineering modules offered by my university and asked which of the selection will give me a good grounding for a mecanical engineering MSc, but have had no reply (:mad:).

So i was wondering if anyone here who has done a mechanical engineering MSc will be able to help me.

The engineering department of my Uni offer the following modules for mechanical engineering as first and second year modules:

Mechanical Engineering Design (first year module)
Stress Analysis (first year)
Computing & Statistics (first year)
Dynamics (first year)
Thermodynamics (first year)
Engineering Mathematics (first year)
---
Design (second year)
Electrical Technology (second year)
Engineering Materials (second year)
Structural Analysis (second year)
Mechanics of Fluids (second year)
Vibration and Control (second year)
Heat Transfer (second year)

(note: fluid dynamics is offered as a 3rd year maths module so i will be taking that as well).

Are there any 4 modules from the list above which, combined with the modules i have so far completed (see my original post..its the first list of modules) will give me sufficient background to get into a mechanical engineering MSc.

Thanks

Latest