The Student Room Group

International Relations for an international student

Hello!

I am a Swede, having studied in my own country at university level for two years (History and Peace and Conflict science). I’ll be going for a year-long journey in a few months, but after that I would like to study International Relations at a UK university.

Which university would you recommend? I have looked at LSE and SOAS as well as University of London. As I understand, these are very good institutions for these subjects. Would you recommend any other universities?

For applying to these places through UCAS, is having references absolutely necessary? This is my main question, since this could be something of a problem for me.

My pre-uni grades are a bit above average, but not in the highest strata. Will I have an edge with my previous academic experience?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Hi.

Are you applying for undergraduate or graduate level? (har du fått en examen för dina 2 år?)

For undergraduate, LSE and St. Andrews. For Masters, LSE and Oxford.

References are necessary, at least for undergraduate application. You should really try to get a small amount of people that you have good contact with write it for you.
Mike_P

Are you applying for undergraduate or graduate level? (har du fått en examen för dina 2 år?)

For undergraduate, LSE and St. Andrews. For Masters, LSE and Oxford.

SA is also good for the graudate level. Some other universities are also excellent, but it depends slightly on what you want to do (what field of IR).

Mike_P
References are necessary, at least for undergraduate application. You should really try to get a small amount of people that you have good contact with write it for you.

For a grad application, you'll need 2 or 3 senior staff members to write references on your behalf (preferably Professors that have taught you).
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies!

IlexAquifolium
SA is also good for the graudate level. Some other universities are also excellent, but it depends slightly on what you want to do (what field of IR).

My main field of interest is within the area of conflict/peace resolution and international politics.
Mulliman

My main field of interest is within the area of conflict/peace resolution and international politics.

Then add Bradford to the list! Hull also is worth a look.

Latest

Trending

Trending