The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

art psychotherapy MSc requirements?

I'm planning to study art psychotherapy at QMU after I finish a course in fine art, but one of the entry requirements is that you have 'a minimum of one year’s full-time experience (or part-time equivalent) of work in a caring capacity or equivalent. Relevant care work includes: nursing assistant, project worker, arts instructor, care work in a community setting, art teaching, or facilitating art workshops.'
I was wondering where I'm supposed to get this experience? Will I be able to get it through some sort of placement at Uni, or will I have to seek it myself?
V confused, would much appreciate some advice :smile:
Original post by dolorescaulfield
I'm planning to study art psychotherapy at QMU after I finish a course in fine art, but one of the entry requirements is that you have 'a minimum of one year’s full-time experience (or part-time equivalent) of work in a caring capacity or equivalent. Relevant care work includes: nursing assistant, project worker, arts instructor, care work in a community setting, art teaching, or facilitating art workshops.'
I was wondering where I'm supposed to get this experience? Will I be able to get it through some sort of placement at Uni, or will I have to seek it myself?
V confused, would much appreciate some advice :smile:

Hi,

I have vaguely looked upon this course and it stated a requirement of 1000 work experience hours.

I have been a full time support worker for the previous two years before my current completion of the BA in Fine Art which I am doing now. I would suggest that if you can take a year out to get a good grasp of work in the health and social sector to really immerse yourself with working with people as this will only attribute to your application.

JOBS:
Mental Health support worker
Support worker
Health Care Assistant
Youth Worker (start off by possibly volunteering)

I would recommend the BAAT (https://www.baat.org) for more information and grounding on this as they offer foundation week long intensive courses, one of which I have been on and they give you all the information required for the application to the MSC or MA along with a certificate on completion of the course.

Hope this helps.

Sapphire
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Hi

Art Therapist here- yes as stated above you will need to find your own work experience. It really is a minimum amount also. Many people applying for the courses have many years experience working in healthcare/ education/prison services with vulnerable adults. This gives an idea of the ‘systems’ around vulnerable people and how they work. It also may give you some indication of how you respond in difficult situations working with traumatic experiences etc and if working with people is what you want to do. I worked for 10 years after my art degree in mental health. The age limit for applications has lowered since I qualified- the job opportunities haven’t grown in line !

It is a course requirement to do placements on the course (120 days) - as well as attending personal therapy throughout the duration of the course. It’s a great area of work - very precarious - very few full time jobs... only 2000 of us UK wide mainly part time, mainly self employed- mainly working with children and young people.

Hope that’s of some help...

Quick Reply

Latest