The Student Room Group

Change driving instructor?

Hi all.

I have a bit of a dilemma. I had one driving lesson before the lockdown and that was 2 hours. Since my driving instructor started lessons at the end of July, I've only had 3 lessons. I was meant to be getting 1, 2 hour lessons a week.

I'm meant to have had 26 hours in total but have only recieved 6 since the lockdown lifted. Paid him in advance at the end of a driving lesson and he hasn't done one since.

Its unlikely he'll refund the money so should I pay for another instructor and at the same time try and get the 10 hours of tuition I've paid for?

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Jopsef
N/A

He will be resistant to refunding.
Why isnt he giving lessons? If you have been available and he hasnt tried to give them then I would ask for the money back as well.
Talk to the consumer hotline.
Yes to finding someone else.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
He will be resistant to refunding.
Why isnt he giving lessons? If you have been available and he hasnt tried to give them then I would ask for the money back as well.
Talk to the consumer hotline.
Yes to finding someone else.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/

Thanks for the advice man!

I'm desperate to change tbh, I want driving lessons. I'e got my test booked in about 12 weeks time as well so its not like I can wait much longer without lessons.

He's schedueled in for monday but its my bet that he'll cancel it. If that gets cancelled I'm going to start my search for new instructors.
Reply 3
Just tell him you need a schedule for the lessons or a refund
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
Just tell him you need a schedule for the lessons or a refund

Thanks for responding I really appreciate it!

Well, the thing is he cancels right before lessons. So I'm meant to have a lesson every monday after work and he'll cancel that lesson maybe an hour or two before it goes ahead.

So there is a schedule for lessons but he doesn't stick to it!
Reply 5
Not acceptable really. Tell him you need to get on and the service has to improve
You need to change instructors and start lessons with this one. In the meantime work at getting your money back. Once you do, give him bad rep through word of mouth and a bad review on google reviews and his website if he has one.
Reply 7
Thanks for responding!

So I should just get rid of him? I mean the amount of second chances he's had is laughable.
Original post by Jopsef
Thanks for responding!

So I should just get rid of him? I mean the amount of second chances he's had is laughable.

Just get another instructor.
And at the same time, keepp chasing your old one for a refund.
And don't forget to give him a bad review after you do get your refund.
Reply 9
Original post by Zarek
Not acceptable really. Tell him you need to get on and the service has to improve

I'm paying for a service which I'm not getting, so he's either got to do every lesson and more for the next 12 weeks or I will find someone that will.

As well I'm an apprentice on £7p/h I can't afford to be giving my money away and getting nothing in return.
Reply 10
I'll give that a shot. Advice from me to everyone is avoid RED driving school hahah 👍
Original post by Jopsef
I'll give that a shot. Advice from me to everyone is avoid RED driving school hahah 👍

Don't pay in advance for lessons either.
If the instructor cancels last minute, tell him clearly he has caused you a big inconvenience.
Reply 12
Noted. I feel stupid, its 10hrs of lessons and thats £230 down the drain... as an apprentice thats a lot of money for me...
Original post by Jopsef
Noted. I feel stupid, its 10hrs of lessons and thats £230 down the drain... as an apprentice thats a lot of money for me...

Yeah I made the same mistake. It seemed cheaper.
How many lessons do you have left with this instructor? Normally the driving school cover themselves saying money dispute they won't handle and each instructor works individually etc so you cannot even complain to them. Might be a possibility for you?
Reply 14
I've got 5 lessons/10 hours left with him.

And Yes. He is classed as self employed and I don't think the driving school will accept disputes over money. I'll just have to pester my instructor to get money back or, if he does his job, I could get my lessons (unlikely) whilst learning with a new instructor.

I've already got a new instructor in mind. A friend of mine passed with him and he's uploading a new test pass daily. Seems bulletproof.
Original post by Jopsef
I've got 5 lessons/10 hours left with him.

And Yes. He is classed as self employed and I don't think the driving school will accept disputes over money. I'll just have to pester my instructor to get money back or, if he does his job, I could get my lessons (unlikely) whilst learning with a new instructor.

I've already got a new instructor in mind. A friend of mine passed with him and he's uploading a new test pass daily. Seems bulletproof.

Keep pestering him. I would personally try to book 2 lessons a week with him just so I can get my moneys worth out of the way before starting with a new instructor and school.
Maybe you should just ring the driving school just in case they can give him a warning? They don't want their name tarnished either
Reply 16
I'll give them a call on monday and see what they say. If I wasn't working towards a deadline (my test) I probably wouldn't care, but when my test is 12 weeks away, the amount of (or lack of) lessons is worrying.
Original post by Jopsef
I'll give them a call on monday and see what they say. If I wasn't working towards a deadline (my test) I probably wouldn't care, but when my test is 12 weeks away, the amount of (or lack of) lessons is worrying.

Oh you have already booked your test. In that case start lessons with the new instructor. The old one is just taking the piss, excuse my language
Reply 18
Don't worry about language I don't mind :smile: Anyway thank you so much for your help!
I totally agree.
Ditch this one. Go with a new one, especially as you have your test booked.
Pester the old one to get money back. Get the driving school involved if necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending