The Student Room Group

Resitting/reapplying dilemma...

I didn't do as well as I hoped in my A levels and I planned to take a gap year anyway, so I felt this is an idea time to resit 2 modules where I did far worse than my others. If I did reasonably well in these module resits, they could push my grades up for 2 subjects where I fell a grade short. I went into college about this and they said that I'd have to pay an additional £50 per subject as well as the £15 resit forms. The cost is due to "admin fees" of sitting as a independent student. So it'd work out £130 to resit 2 modules. How bloody disproportionate are those charges?!

Here's another twist - those exams can only be sat in June. I was advised not to resit them as it probably won't affect my university application.

I already have an offer from a uni, but I was considering withdrawing as I'm not entirely happy with it. But at this rate, I'll probably accept as it's considered a decent uni and I should probably be grateful they accepted me with lower grades anyway.

Just feeling a little bewildered...any advice?
Reply 1
can you give us a bit more detail?

What were your grades? Which subjects? What course are you applying for? Which unis?
You could always ask a local college if they will let you do the resits there.
You are completely right, the prices they are trying to charge you are very excessive, it sounds like they are really hoping to discourage you from resitting altogether.

The thing is, if you truly belive you may be able to boost your grade is it not worth paying the £130?
Reply 3
If you are really unhappy with your uni choice, don't go somewhere where you will be miserable.

You could easily earn the £130 you need by June and there may be other places around that will let you take the exams without paying a fee to them for admin if you have a look around. Have you tried any of the private schools in your area? Often they are more sympathetic to independent candidates.
Reply 4
I live in a pretty small town, my college is the only one which offers A levels. I guess I could research into places in nearby cities but would they have to have had the same A level curriculum as my college?

It's not so much the money that's the issue...but having to pay fees simply for "admin costs", to resit at a former college is pretty much unheard of...for me anyway.

peachmelba
can you give us a bit more detail?

What were your grades? Which subjects? What course are you applying for? Which unis?

My grades were ABC (meant to get AAB). In the subjects Government and Politics, History and Literature. Hoping to apply for History and Politics (which isn't easy as it is as most unis provide them seperately, not together). No firm choice universities, but many on the UCAS list do not appeal (mostly due to their locations which I dislike).
Reply 5
My grades were ABC (meant to get AAB). In the subjects Government and Politics, History and Literature. Hoping to apply for History and Politics (which isn't easy as it is as most unis provide them seperately, not together)

Ok, I think it's fair to say that the most competitive places do not look kindly on third year module resits. So, this probably rules out the likes of Oxford AAA, Nottingha AAB, York AAB and Warwick AABc.

The B in history is also a problem as several unis stipulate an A.

A lot of unis offer this combination at ABB: Birmingham, Cardiff, Lancaster, Liverpool. Sheffield ask for AAB or ABaa with B in history & politics if taken. Manchester offer Historical Studies + Social Sciences at AAB-BBB & Politics + Econ & Social History at ABB. For all these, I think you should email the admissions tutors, give them your FULL DETAILS, including module grades, any extenuating circumstances, and ask them your chances if you apply with your current grades/their attitude to re-sits. You may find they are more lenient for a post-results candidate who shows they are keen to do their course.

Other possibilities at reasonably well respected unis are Loughborough 300-320,
Leicester BBB (very strong history dept), Reading 300, Hull 300. You would probably get offers without resitting.

You mention you hold one offer - where from? where else did you apply and did you get offers?

If you have particular location requirements, it would be helpful to let us know that too.

As for the cost, yes it's high for 2 modules but £130 is insignificant compared to the investment in money, time & effort in any degree. You can soon earn that in your gap year and shouldn't have to pay the fees until later if the exam is next June.
Reply 6
peachmelba
Ok, I think it's fair to say that the most competitive places do not look kindly on third year module resits. So, this probably rules out the likes of Oxford AAA, Nottingha AAB, York AAB and Warwick AABc.

The B in history is also a problem as several unis stipulate an A.

A lot of unis offer this combination at ABB: Birmingham, Cardiff, Lancaster, Liverpool. Sheffield ask for AAB or ABaa with B in history & politics if taken. Manchester offer Historical Studies + Social Sciences at AAB-BBB & Politics + Econ & Social History at ABB. For all these, I think you should email the admissions tutors, give them your FULL DETAILS, including module grades, any extenuating circumstances, and ask them your chances if you apply with your current grades/their attitude to re-sits. You may find they are more lenient for a post-results candidate who shows they are keen to do their course.

Other possibilities at reasonably well respected unis are Loughborough 300-320,
Leicester BBB (very strong history dept), Reading 300, Hull 300. You would probably get offers without resitting.

You mention you hold one offer - where from? where else did you apply and did you get offers?

If you have particular location requirements, it would be helpful to let us know that too.

As for the cost, yes it's high for 2 modules but £130 is insignificant compared to the investment in money, time & effort in any degree. You can soon earn that in your gap year and shouldn't have to pay the fees until later if the exam is next June.

Like I said the money is not an issue, it's the annoyance of having the fee in the first place...

Don't worry, I wasn't looking at the likes of Oxford :p:

My offer is from the university of Manchester. I got offers from Uni of Sheffield (was insurance and they changed my course), Queen Mary's, EUA. ( Rejected by York :p: )
Reply 7
My offer is from the university of Manchester. I got offers from Uni of Sheffield (was insurance and they changed my course), Queen Mary's, EUA. ( Rejected by York )

So, did your ABC meet their offers/did they confirm your place anyway?

If so, it sounds like you probably don't need to to re-sit. The only way to be sure is to email the admissions tutors at the unis you are interested in.

What's putting you off Manchester? To be honest, it's going to be hard to find a better uni in your situation. Most people seem to think it's a great student city too.
Reply 8
im in a similar situation too...i got BBC but needed ABB for pharmacy at aston. when i rang them they told me the problem was with the C in chem as they weren't accepting anyone with less than a B. i was 4 ums marks off :frown: anyway i got into liverpool john moores and i don't want to sound ungrateful but i really don't want to go there. i really want to reapply but i'm not sure if i want to risk it :s-smilie: any advice??
Reply 9

im in a similar situation too...i got BBC but needed ABB for pharmacy at aston. when i rang them they told me the problem was with the C in chem as they weren't accepting anyone with less than a B. i was 4 ums marks off anyway i got into liverpool john moores and i don't want to sound ungrateful but i really don't want to go there. i really want to reapply but i'm not sure if i want to risk it any advice??

My guess is that the C in Chem is going to be a problem with many pharma courses. Have a good look at the department websites for selection criteria/specific grade requirements (online prospectus/UCAS don't always have them).

Then draw up a short list of places you might apply to and ask for advice about your situation/re-sitting).

I think for pharma you are always in a stronger position applying post results: lots of pharma places go to failed medics in clearing!

good luck
Reply 10
peachmelba
So, did your ABC meet their offers/did they confirm your place anyway?

If so, it sounds like you probably don't need to to re-sit. The only way to be sure is to email the admissions tutors at the unis you are interested in.

What's putting you off Manchester? To be honest, it's going to be hard to find a better uni in your situation. Most people seem to think it's a great student city too.

No, I didn't meet my offer: AAB/ABB.

It's not so much wanting a "better" uni, but one I actually want to go to. I really like the city, but I've visited the uni a few times and it just didn't feel right!
Then, I think you're back on the email trail!
Reply 12
Which college was it that charged you the £50 admin costs? It's just I'm struggling myself at the moment to find a college at which to re-sit 3 modules as an independent student, so if it's averagely close to where I live I might be able to ask if they would take me as an external candidate to sit the modules there in June.

Latest

Trending

Trending