The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

solpadeine Max...nurofen plus... paramol...codeine based..plus paracetamol.. not good unless you do the cwe...they all have 12mg codeine...
codeine phosphate 8mg/ 500mg paracetamol is the strongest mix of an over the counter caplet I know of, the codeine is broken down by the liver with an enzyme and transformed into Morphine & gives the powerful painkilling delivery.
Opiates distort the pain signals on route to the part of the brain that deals with pain, paracetamol is the only painkiller that blocks the pain signals completely, as you will know 1000mg is the maximum dose taken every 4-6 hours. Paracetamol actually interacts with opiates, in this combination it helps to improve the quality and can extend the time that opiates give pain relief. Paracetamol is very a dangerous drug. to take more than 1000mg can have some very serious consequences.
Reply 23
Original post by Jimmjames
Opiates distort the pain signals on route to the part of the brain that deals with pain, paracetamol is the only painkiller that blocks the pain signals completely, as you will know 1000mg is the maximum dose taken every 4-6 hours. Paracetamol actually interacts with opiates, in this combination it helps to improve the quality and can extend the time that opiates give pain relief. Paracetamol is very a dangerous drug. to take more than 1000mg can have some very serious consequences.

Not true albeit not too wrong either. 4gr within a 24 hour period is the maximum reccomended therepeutic dose. And while taking that much regularly will damage your liver over time for any serious damage to be done in one dose you'd have to be dropping more pills than a three fingered pharmasist... The liver is a resistant organ and heals itself to a fair extent.

Either way for the purpose of the thread and any new people who are interested the strongest painkillers OTC vary on what you need it for...
Co-codamol is limited to 8/500mg now. Albeit you can get scripts easy if you're in pain or simply in europe where the dose is somewhat laxer.
Paracetamol 500mg
Ibuprofen usualy tops out at 400mg i believe
Naproxen 250mg [personally i found this usually works well]
Indometicin and Dicloflex.
and there's many other variations depending on what type of pain people have.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by philtyrrell
codeine phosphate 8mg/ 500mg paracetamol is the strongest mix of an over the counter caplet I know of, the codeine is broken down by the liver with an enzyme and transformed into Morphine & gives the powerful painkilling delivery.

It should be noted that whilst Codeine is metabolized into Morphine via CYP2D6 the pain killing effects are a great deal weaker and shorter than something like MST no matter how much someone took..

Latest