The Student Room Group

Online Masters in Computer Science - University of Keele

Scroll to see replies

If anyone is or has been enrolled in MSc Computer Science in either of these Universities please share your feedback:

- Keele University
- University Of Leicester
- University of Sunderland
- Wrexham Glyndwr University
- University of Wolverhampton
- University of York
- University of Essex

I am particular interested on any information in Keele University MSc Computer Science (Online)
Reply 42
Original post by 0dz3r
There is Northumbria, which, if I'm not mistaken, is not a programme managed by HEP, the group that apparently manages the programmes at York, Keele, Sunderland, and others. But I don't know if it is any better.

There is this https://www.london.ac.uk/courses/msc-computer-science which is not managed by HEP either, but it is a lot more expensive, if I remember correctly. There is some feedback here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7160598

HEP is more like the sales team that convinces students to get their foot in the door.
Once you're registered it's the university's team that takes over, this was my experience with Sunderland, HEP was a middle man in answering basic queries and setting up a landing page for registration.

With that, I believe each University is managed individually and differently. Perhaps students from other HEP schools can provide more insight on this.
University of Sunderland
Course: MSc Computer Science
Course Fees: £6,780
UK Computer Science Ranking: 78
University Ranking: 91

University Of Leicester
Course: Advanced Computer Science MSc
Course Fees: £9,500
UK Computer Science Ranking: 31
University Ranking: 30

University of Wolverhampton
Course Fees: £6,600
UK Computer Science Ranking: 112
University Ranking: 80

Keele University
Course Fees: £7,440
UK Computer Science Ranking: 46
University Ranking: 62

University of York
Course Fees: £8,640
UK Computer Science Ranking: 23
University Ranking: 12

Wrexham Glyndwr University
Course Fees: £6,000
UK Computer Science Ranking: 63
University Ranking: 140

University of Essex
Course Fees: £11,836
UK Computer Science Ranking: 51
University Ranking: 39
I did some research and honestly all of the programs seem to have the same problem. Lack of support. But damn Sunderland seems extreme.
Sorry but just to help make my final decision could you answer these three questions? Highly appreciated!
Did you have a CS background before enrolling into the program?
Is it Math heavy?
Do you think a newbie will be able to pass with just pure effort alone?
Original post by 0n0ono
If you want a Master's degree, you can try. Don't get me wrong, the courses are by no means easy so it isn't like a diploma mill.
It's more out what you get out of it too, the support is terrible and you're eff'd if you don't understand the course material and alternative online resources.

One module leader even quit halfway through a course to join another university, says a lot about the school's management.

There's plenty of other Universities out there in the same price range, I can't vouch that they won't be terrible like Sunderland's, but if you have a clear data point then I'd think going for the unknown bags you a 50% chance of ending up with a better course.
I saw some reviews on Northumbria, but again it seem to be the same type of negative reviews which is the lack of student support.
One person pointed out that although it can be just a person with a negative attitude, but 3 people with negative reviews kinda confirms it.
Then again it could be three people with negative attitudes...
Original post by 0dz3r
There is Northumbria, which, if I'm not mistaken, is not a programme managed by HEP, the group that apparently manages the programmes at York, Keele, Sunderland, and others. But I don't know if it is any better.

There is this https://www.london.ac.uk/courses/msc-computer-science which is not managed by HEP either, but it is a lot more expensive, if I remember correctly. There is some feedback here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7160598
Original post by PauloIT
If anyone is or has been enrolled in MSc Computer Science in either of these Universities please share your feedback:

- Keele University
- University of York
- University of Essex

I am particular interested on any information in Keele University MSc Computer Science (Online)

I was interested in Keele as well. Managed to find only one review, and apparently learning experience was awful: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/keele.ac.uk
Original post by PauloIT

- Keele University
- University of York
- University of Essex

I just completed my MSc Computer Science from Wrexham Glyndwr. The way the program is structure is like this:
1st course: Applied Research Method
2nd to 9th course: Various CS modules (Database Systems, Cloud Computing, Intro to Data Science, Data Visualization etc)
10th course: Dissertation Proposal
11th course: Dissertation.

1st course was enjoyable
10th and 11th depend on your supervisor. The first time I had a bad supervisor who didn't give good feedback. I had to take a break and returned to the course where I had a pretty good supervisor who was more helpful.

2nd to 9th were mostly bad. Most of the assignments were essay type where you have to write 1500 and 3000 words essays. The intro to Data Science had no practical/technical assignments. All essays. You just don't learn much there. You would learn more from free online courses that you can find in the internet. Midterm assignments were graded late, sometimes just days before final assignments were due. Lectures were pre-taped. There was one course where the lead lecturer actually posted new videos based on feedbacks so I gave them credit on that one but it was rare.

Overall, I don't regret taking it. I just want to have the MSc. title on my resume and Wrexham was the cheapest one.
Reply 48
Original post by hebaq15
I did some research and honestly all of the programs seem to have the same problem. Lack of support. But damn Sunderland seems extreme.
Sorry but just to help make my final decision could you answer these three questions? Highly appreciated!
Did you have a CS background before enrolling into the program?
Is it Math heavy?
Do you think a newbie will be able to pass with just pure effort alone?

1) I have basic CS background before enrolling into the program
2) The modules are not math heavy, but some like Software Engineering/Networking requires you to understand how Data Structures and Algorithms work in order to excel.
3) I always believe people can succeed in anything they put 100% effort in. The question is whether you'll be able to maintain that effort for two whole years, while not receiving any support from the school's faculty.
Yeah it's definitely going to be a challenge. Thanks a lot! This has been more than helpful. I still have some time to decide so hopefully I'll make the right choice.
Original post by hebaq15
Yeah it's definitely going to be a challenge. Thanks a lot! This has been more than helpful. I still have some time to decide so hopefully I'll make the right choice.

How it was finally? Did you attend any of these Online MSc? Could you share your experience also?
Hello all, I would appreciate if anyone can advise which uni to choose I am interested in MSc data analytics.. so far I have got offer from Sunderland, abertay, Cumbria and keele. Waiting to hear from Northumbria and york being my first choice turned down my application 😩 I have a degree in film making but have studied computer during my undergrad as it was a modular study program .. which uni is better??? Very confused
Original post by muhammadshan
Hello all, I would appreciate if anyone can advise which uni to choose I am interested in MSc data analytics.. so far I have got offer from Sunderland, abertay, Cumbria and keele. Waiting to hear from Northumbria and york being my first choice turned down my application 😩 I have a degree in film making but have studied computer during my undergrad as it was a modular study program .. which uni is better??? Very confused

So you are going for which university?
Original post by 0n0ono
If you want a Master's degree, you can try. Don't get me wrong, the courses are by no means easy so it isn't like a diploma mill.
It's more out what you get out of it too, the support is terrible and you're eff'd if you don't understand the course material and alternative online resources.

One module leader even quit halfway through a course to join another university, says a lot about the school's management.

There's plenty of other Universities out there in the same price range, I can't vouch that they won't be terrible like Sunderland's, but if you have a clear data point then I'd think going for the unknown bags you a 50% chance of ending up with a better course.

How exams are conducted? Are they open book ?
Did you get your transcript and everything after finishing degree ?
Original post by hebaq15

Which university did you choose?
Original post by hebaq15
I'm considering applying for the CS course in Sunderland. I'm glad I'm not hearing as many horror stories as the York program. It would be really helpful for an update. Cheers guys!

So which university did you choose?
Well keele university

Original post by Softwarecomp22
So you are going for which university?
Keele university
Keele university

How it is going so far ?
Keele university

I would love to know more about it since I also want to take one year course

Quick Reply