The Student Room Group

S6 in other schools

Hi everyone,

I was just curious to know what your experience of S6 is so far...

In our school we get 7 taught periods per week for each advanced higher or higher, then for advanced highers we get another 3, unsupervised private study periods per week. The remaining periods are taking up with helping in the junior school, work experience, up to 3 "leisure" periods, lifeskills, RE, PE, and optional open learning modules from Telford College.

We're a private school (and a strict one in some ways) so obviously our S6 would be a bit different than other people's, particularly from the point of view of having to be at school all day, and I was wondering how different we really are, particularly after our Modern Studies teacher was telling us how in "normal" schools the AH students often just have to sit at the back of a higher class and self-teach.

Also, in general how is your sixth year going? Mine is a weird mix of being really relaxing and skivy during the day, but then we have tons of homework and have to work in taught classes quite hard - my 3 AHs kicking in!

Thanks in advance for broadening my mind! :P

Sarah

Scroll to see replies

I am doing 3 AHs and a H.

For each AH i have 4 periods with a teacher ( 1 period = 53 minutes), and 1 free study period.

And for my H, i have 5 periods of teaching.

As for 6th year itself, im not enjoying it, its a total skive and im just bored pretty much all the time at school.
Reply 2
6th year at our school is just an absolute joke. you get about 7 periods a week for each AH/H. you're obliged to attend 4 periods of supervised study and the rest of it is pretty much free periods, although people can get involved in scribe work or work in the primary school.

sarahleslie1: you don't go to fettes, by any chance, do you?
Reply 3
I'm doing 3 AH's (Chemistry, Biology and Physics) and get 6 taught periods for each. This doesn't apply to all AH's though, the number of taught periods is less for the likes of English/History where the classes are smaller and there can be more independant learning.

I'm doing Higher Computing as well, but that's self taught as there was a clash with AH Physics. Some people also do self taught Psychology through Telford College.

Generally everyone gets one study column (6 periods) although some people have more (I have 12 because of computing). We have to do community service in some of these to 'give back' to the school ( I help out in some ASN classes).

I don't mind 6th year - it's been quite fun so far! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Sixth year so far at mine is good. I'm doing 3 AHs and a H. All of the AHs we have a designated teacher, Chemistry we have five contact periods, Geography four and physics three. The higher has five. If I have non-contact periods first in the morning or last in the afternoons I can go home. The rest of the time between classes is spent in the library or in senior school areas around the building. Apart from that, enjoying 6th year, just sent away UCAS and its been relaxed so far.
Reply 5
At my school it's six periods of each subject, one a day with a one double period. I thought it worked fine.
Reply 6
It's a few years since I did this - I had about 5 hours a week for one of my AH's, the rest of the time I was free to do whatever I wanted. The other two AH's I taught myself, occasionally sitting in on the Higher classes, though this was more of a social exercise than anything else.

Pretty tough going, but with hindsight it was very good preparation for university.
Reply 7
Em we have 5 taught periods for AH, H and Ints in 5th and 6th year per week. And your recommened to pick 4 unsupervised study periods for AH, 2 for H and 1 for Int's in 6th year. But it depends on your timetable and how many free periods you have, we get to choose how many and when we take them.

On top of that we have 2periods of core pe, 2 superived study periods and one Values and Citezenship period per week. We also get 2 free periods per week (we decide when).

Our timetables really weird aswell, we get 7 proper teaching periods on Monday then Tue-Fri 7 periods, 4 are tutor time (registration stuff) and 6 teaching etc. We also have a whole 50minute period of an assembly on Monday! :eek:
Reply 8
I'm bored to hell in 6th year so far. Not too keen on the free periods, even though I don't have so many (9 a week, 2 for each AH but we get maths 5 times a week). For each AH you get only 4 taught periods of 50 minutes each, with a further 2 "study" periods. There's also Core RE and PE on a Wednesday afternoon, so almost every week I sign out early and go home. So far they haven't commented on me having an orthodonist appointment for the past 4 weeks. :p:

As it stands though I have 3 different teachers for AH English, and we only actually do anything with one of them. The teacher I'm supposed to see twice a week I really only see once, since she insists on spending 15 minutes every Friday milling about sorting out tea and ****** crumpets for everyone. Then we sit and underline passages out of our text for 25 minutes before stopping to tidy everything up again.

I somewhat protest by not eating anything and bringing my own drink. :shifty:
Reply 9
I am doing 2 Advance Highers,a higher and an Int2.Originally i was doing another higher but i qualified for a servce column so i got to drop it.To get a service column u either have to be taking to or more adanced higher ir have got 5 good higher passes last year so they no you are not wasting your time and then won't get into uni.I get the same amout of teaching time for each subjects either 5 or 6 periods which last 50 or 55 minutes depending on the day and period.In our service column we have to give back to the school by helping out in clases or joining a fund raising group or something but we are only just getting this organised so in the mean time i have been in the library or an empty classroom doing homework.We also have 2 RE periods a week and 1 PE period.S6 is ok so far bit boring as the excitement of a free period wears off after a while so i can't wait till i start helping in classes.During our free periods we are not allowed to leave the school.
mine's quite casual: the workload from 3 AHs isn't overwhelming, and i've got 13 or 14 free periods a week. quite a bit... with not much to do in them. it's really just my young enterprise and personal statement work that has been dragging me down, worsened by being so unbelievably tired each day because of fasting. but, i reckon by the time ramadan's over i'll be alright for the rest of the year.
I do 5 AH's and I get taught 5 (50ish minutes) periods a week for four of them. Applied maths though our teacher hasn't done it before so it's as much him learning as us. I'm quite enjoying 6th year, it's a bit stressful at times where I have been busy for a few days in a row and have to catch up but it's generally fine. Spend free periods at the moment playing chess (we got a competition going in our 6th year room) but i'll probably have to do some more investigation stuff soon enough.
Meteorshower
I do 5 AH's and I get taught 5 (50ish minutes) periods a week for four of them. Applied maths though our teacher hasn't done it before so it's as much him learning as us. I'm quite enjoying 6th year, it's a bit stressful at times where I have been busy for a few days in a row and have to catch up but it's generally fine. Spend free periods at the moment playing chess (we got a competition going in our 6th year room) but i'll probably have to do some more investigation stuff soon enough.

Is 5 AHs common in your school?

I was doing 4 before the summer in order to keep my options open, and i think i was the only person doing that many.
nessiehibs
Is 5 AHs common in your school?

I was doing 4 before the summer in order to keep my options open, and i think i was the only person doing that many.

I don't think 5 is common anywhere. The most anyone has done at my school so far is 3.
Meteorshower
I don't think 5 is common anywhere. The most anyone has done at my school so far is 3.

Oh, okay so its that you go to a great school then.Its just that your a genius, or a muppet depending on how you look at things. :biggrin:

What 5 you doing?
nessiehibs
Oh, okay so its that you go to a great school then.Its just that your a genius, or a muppet depending on how you look at things. :biggrin:

What 5 you doing?

I do go to a pretty good school, but it's not private or anything. You don't need to be a genius to do 5 AH's, just need to interested in your stuff and prepared for a bit of effort.

Maths
Mechanics
Physics
Chemistry
Music (self taught)
Meteorshower
I do go to a pretty good school, but it's not private or anything. You don't need to be a genius to do 5 AH's, just need to interested in your stuff and prepared for a bit of effort.

Maths
Mechanics
Physics
Chemistry
Music (self taught)

Fair enough, i dont really have any interest in the AHs im doing. None of them are related to the degree i want to do. :rolleyes:
nessiehibs
Fair enough, i dont really have any interest in the AHs im doing. None of them are related to the degree i want to do. :rolleyes:

Why'd you pick them then :s-smilie:
Meteorshower
Why'd you pick them then :s-smilie:

School doesnt cover the subject i want to study (accountancy).

I also wasnt totally sure what i wanted to when i picked and i got a D in my maths prelim so was put off from doing AH, if i knew i would get an A in the final i probably would have done it.

But yeh, Geography, Physics, Chemistry for an accounting degree. :rolleyes: Also took higher business though, so atleast i have somewhat of a purpose to be at school 1/6th of the time. :biggrin:
Reply 19
nessiehibs
School doesnt cover the subject i want to study (accountancy).

I also wasnt totally sure what i wanted to when i picked and i got a D in my maths prelim so was put off from doing AH, if i knew i would get an A in the final i probably would have done it.

But yeh, Geography, Physics, Chemistry for an accounting degree. :rolleyes: Also took higher business though, so atleast i have somewhat of a purpose to be at school 1/6th of the time. :biggrin:

Shouldn't matter much provided your grades are high. Isn't it recommended that you don't even take an Accountancy degree if you want to become a CA?

At least I heard that. :p: Makes no sense to me but there you go...

PS: Decided to up the ante did we Meteor. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending