The Student Room Group

Do I need a Computer Science Degree to become a UX Designer?

I have been thinking of dropping out in my first year. Now I'm thinking of it more as I don't enjoy programming anymore and none of the jobs that comp sci graduates get into suit me as a person. I'm the kind of person who knows the destination and what I'm planning/aiming for. But the jobs (software dev, software engineering, cyber security, data scientist) don't get me excited and makes me feel that I'm not up for it. I honestly know people far better for those jobs and I can't tell the recruiter to hire me for those jobs as they're not for me.

I did enjoy my design minor module last year. Plus, I did a module on HCI which intrigued me and I did coursework on developing a app which I had to do: user personas, scenarios, user research, managing group meetings, creating prototypes and wireframes. This is what a UX designer does a job, and I know that I can do this as a job and enjoy it. I honestly don't know yet as it seems too good to be true and I don't know if I need my degree anymore. Design, drawing and being creative/visual is what I enjoy as well.

I'm doing a group programming project for one of my modules and the task is to develop a game.... Guess what I was mostly doing? Drawing the characters, weapons, and developing the story. :smile: My role is to develop the UI and everything visual. Its kinda like I'm the Art department for films. The more I research on UX, the more it seems that I can do it as a job and enjoy it like it's not a job at all. Even say to the recruiter that I'm the one for this job and not feel like I'm lying to them.
I'm planning to do a UX design course over Xmas as well, to get a in-depth perspective into UX design and testing if this is the job and career for me.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
If I were you, I would google for people hiring UX designers and check what they ask for. I assume they would like some sort of degree relevant to computer graphics or art.
No. UX designers are more likely to have a design (e.g. industrial/product) degree or some other type of fine arts degree
Original post by natily
If I were you, I would google for people hiring UX designers and check what they ask for. I assume they would like some sort of degree relevant to computer graphics or art.

Yeah, your reply helped. Google, Amazon for example are looking for a degree in design, computer science or even a masters in HCI. So, I'll try and finish my degree I guess and do a masters in HCI. But I have to say that most qualification requirements want a degree in design or 3+ years of experience in UX Design
Original post by QuackingDuck1
I have been thinking of dropping out in my first year. Now I'm thinking of it more as I don't enjoy programming anymore and none of the jobs that comp sci graduates get into suit me as a person. I'm the kind of person who knows the destination and what I'm planning/aiming for. But the jobs (software dev, software engineering, cyber security, data scientist) don't get me excited and makes me feel that I'm not up for it. I honestly know people far better for those jobs and I can't tell the recruiter to hire me for those jobs as they're not for me.

I did enjoy my design minor module last year. Plus, I did a module on HCI which intrigued me and I did coursework on developing a app which I had to do: user personas, scenarios, user research, managing group meetings, creating prototypes and wireframes. This is what a UX designer does a job, and I know that I can do this as a job and enjoy it. I honestly don't know yet as it seems too good to be true and I don't know if I need my degree anymore. Design, drawing and being creative/visual is what I enjoy as well.
Are you in search of talented product designers? Look no further! I recently stumbled upon a fantastic blog that listed the top platforms where you can hire product designers. The blog provided a comprehensive overview of each platform, highlighting their features, pricing models, and user reviews. It was visit a game-changer for me as I discovered a variety of options to find skilled product designers for my projects. Whether you're a startup or an established company, this blog is a valuable resource to connect with talented designers who can bring your product visions to life.
I'm doing a group programming project for one of my modules and the task is to develop a game.... Guess what I was mostly doing? Drawing the characters, weapons, and developing the story. :smile: My role is to develop the UI and everything visual. Its kinda like I'm the Art department for films. The more I research on UX, the more it seems that I can do it as a job and enjoy it like it's not a job at all. Even say to the recruiter that I'm the one for this job and not feel like I'm lying to them.
I'm planning to do a UX design course over Xmas as well, to get a in-depth perspective into UX design and testing if this is the job and career for me.

I can tell you from experience that the only thing that matters here is your knowledge of the case and your portfolio.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by QuackingDuck1
Yeah, your reply helped. Google, Amazon for example are looking for a degree in design, computer science or even a masters in HCI. So, I'll try and finish my degree I guess and do a masters in HCI. But I have to say that most qualification requirements want a degree in design or 3+ years of experience in UX Design

Thanks I will try to find out more about Google and Amazon <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending