The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

My university is suing me

Hello,
I’m in need for some advice. I went to university in 2017 to study a postgraduate degree. I was only there for 3 weeks and decided to withdraw from my course. I was aware that I had to pay 25% of the annual fee and I asked them if they would be able to give me 2 months to pay. One of the reasons why I dropped out is because I found out that I wasn’t eligible for the postgraduate loan. Anyways, since I had a bit of saving around £1000 I only had to come up with another £950, which I was planning on taking from my wages as soon as I got paid. When I was ready to make the full payment the university stated that I didn’t actually withdraw from the university and now I had to pay 50% of the annual fee instead which I found ridiculous. I explained to them that I withdrew 3 weeks into the course and they basically said they had no record of it. I refused to pay 50% because I though that was very unfair. They said that they wouldn’t accept the 25% and I need to pay 50% instead straight away. I refused, and now three years later they are taking me to court. They now want a total of £8000 for the course fees. I really don’t know what to do now, I can’t afford to pay £8000 for a course I didn’t attend and withdrew from. Any advice would really help. The university is Solent university btw if anyone is wondering. The course was a total of £5700, I don’t even know where the extra 2300 came from
Original post by Amina2020a
Hello,
I’m in need for some advice. I went to university in 2017 to study a postgraduate degree. I was only there for 3 weeks and decided to withdraw from my course. I was aware that I had to pay 25% of the annual fee and I asked them if they would be able to give me 2 months to pay. One of the reasons why I dropped out is because I found out that I wasn’t eligible for the postgraduate loan. Anyways, since I had a bit of saving around £1000 I only had to come up with another £950, which I was planning on taking from my wages as soon as I got paid. When I was ready to make the full payment the university stated that I didn’t actually withdraw from the university and now I had to pay 50% of the annual fee instead which I found ridiculous. I explained to them that I withdrew 3 weeks into the course and they basically said they had no record of it. I refused to pay 50% because I though that was very unfair. They said that they wouldn’t accept the 25% and I need to pay 50% instead straight away. I refused, and now three years later they are taking me to court. They now want a total of £8000 for the course fees. I really don’t know what to do now, I can’t afford to pay £8000 for a course I didn’t attend and withdrew from. Any advice would really help. The university is Solent university btw if anyone is wondering. The course was a total of £5700, I don’t even know where the extra 2300 came from

sue them back? i think they're just trying to get money of you tbh if you didn't do the course then you don't have to pay, anyways good luck!
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Original post by Amina2020a
Hello,

Oh gosh, I go there. 😱 I had no idea that Solent was like this however with students leaving courses early.

Any updates on the situation since? That's really messed up, and I'm sorry that you're going through this. 🙁🤗

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending