The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield uni Biomed

I’ve got an offer from Sheffield to study Biomedical Science. Can anyone give me some pros and cons for the uni? Is the sports good and accessible even though the facilities aren’t on campus? Is there lots of pressure to go out clubbing as it is something I’m not really interested in? Also what are the more quiet accommodation options in Ranmoor/Endcliffe, I’ve heard Ranmoor in general is quieter but is the accommodation older there?
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve got an offer from Sheffield to study Biomedical Science. Can anyone give me some pros and cons for the uni? Is the sports good and accessible even though the facilities aren’t on campus? Is there lots of pressure to go out clubbing as it is something I’m not really interested in? Also what are the more quiet accommodation options in Ranmoor/Endcliffe, I’ve heard Ranmoor in general is quieter but is the accommodation older there?

heyy i know this post is quite old but i'm going to sheffield to study biomed too and i've seen struggling to find other people on here haha. i was wondering whether your firmed sheffield or somewhere else? :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Anonymous

Hey! Sorry for missing this post!
I am not sure whether you are still after answers to these questions but I will answer in case anyone else wants to know too!
The biomedical science course here is amazing! (I am a medic but lots of people on my Master's studies biomed here and really enjoyed it). It is the only university to offer cadaveric dissection to biomed students, the course also has lots of module choice in the second and third years so you can tailor the course to what you want.
The sports facilities are a 10 minute walk from the SU, so they are super close to everything (they are on the walk from Endcliffe/Ranmoor to the SU). There is a gym in sport sheffield and a smaller gym in the Ranmoor accommodation, they have a swimming pool, squash courts, synthetic pitches and lots of multipurpose rooms for other sports.
I found there to be a bit of pressure to go out clubbing in the first couple of weeks of uni, but after that people tended to only go on big occasions like a Christmas social etc. There are lots of people who do not go clubbing, and the majority of people only go a few times a term anyway, so you wont feel alienated.
Ranmoor is generally considered the quieter area of accommodation, the accommodation blocks are the same age and style at the ones in Endcliffe. The flats furthest away from the main hubs (the edge) tend to be the quietest.
Original post by alevelslander
heyy i know this post is quite old but i'm going to sheffield to study biomed too and i've seen struggling to find other people on here haha. i was wondering whether your firmed sheffield or somewhere else? :smile:

Hey,
Congratulations on getting into Sheffield University!
You may be able to find some more people on this thread: Biomedical Science: 2023/24 Applicants Thread
Let me know if you have any questions about the course or the Uni!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending