The Student Room Group
hard! huge leap up from school, but a good one. its all very varied, i think i have about 7 lectures a week (not too sure, dont go to all of them...) plus one skills session and mini asessment each week (0.5% of final year mark, noting to worry about) then on average 3 supervisons a fortnight (8-12 essays a term depending on the college)

last essay title was 'in what ways did the renaissance radically reconstreuct notions of space and time to further worldviews from medieval to modern?' (historical geography) but ive has superviosns at the scott polar reserahc institute on glacila and sea level change etc. i was worried about the amount of physical geography because im a predominantly human geographer, but i actually find it really interesting and makes a nice change. you dont get a chance to get bored because youre always learning about somehting different.

http://www.downingjcr.co.uk/applying/subjects/geography.php for more info

what college have you applied to/thinking of applying to? =)
Hello, I've applied to Downing to do Geography. :smile: I'm hopefully going to hear on Tuesday! Sorry to butt in. :p:
im at Downing at the moment for geography and it is awesome, but dont be too dissapointed if you dont get in, if you go to any other uni youll rpobably have a better social life, less stress and just as good, if not a better time :smile:
storyofanartist
im at Downing at the moment for geography and it is awesome, but dont be too dissapointed if you dont get in, if you go to any other uni youll rpobably have a better social life, less stress and just as good, if not a better time :smile:

Ooh really? :biggrin: Which year are you in?
First
Reply 6
storyofanartist
First

i applied to downing too! What are your impressions of the lecturers?
Reply 7
avent a clue which college i want to go to - dont really know which one would suit me! Yet again any advice would be fantastic (sorry to be a bother!). Also, in the first year dyu get any choice in what you can study? I realise everyone studies the same basic outline, but is there any course options within them if you get what i mean?? Thanks!!
no choice whatsoever im afraid, but i think thats probably a good thing and hanst bothered anyone i know so far

in terms of lecturers im a bit stumped, i dont really go to a huge number of lectures i have to admit. a few are really enthusiastic and enthralling, a few no one goes too because theyre way to complicated and dull most are very clear and fair enough i guess...added bonus of all lecture notes on the intranet :wink:

colleges....um well downing is literally right next to the department which is a huuuge bonus, you wont appreciate how much so untill/unless oyu get here. dont even think about girton, before i came i didnt really think it was far, but it is miiiles away. christs is too academic (from numerous trips to and friends at) emma is friendly etc, ok looking and close ot the department too. tirnity and johns are overated and too big for my liking. clare seems cool but its a bit further to the department again. i would suggest pembroke but they dont do geography :s-smilie: the best way to choose is just to go and have a wander aorund the colleges and see which one you like the feel of....youll probably be pretty much as happy in anyone but definately od take into account distance to the department :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending