The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job?

Hi,

Just seeking outside opinions.

I started a graduate job almost 3 months ago. I really don’t enjoy it, and haven’t enjoyed it from day one. I like my line manager but I don’t like senior management and they don’t seem to like me (shouted at me for a long time a while ago and it’s been really awkward ever since).

I applied for a couple of other jobs before Christmas and both sent interview requests, including for my dream job for a week on Monday (18th). The problem is this date coincides with when my probation ends, after which I will be tied into a 3 month notice period making applying for a new job virtually impossible.

I would feel very guilty quitting as my line manager is lovely and has put a lot of time into me, I just really don’t like the job and don’t think it will get better.

My question is, should I quit my current job, which I hate, even though there is no guarantee I will get this better job or should I persevere at my current job?

Personally I would not be quitting a job in the current environment unless I was almost certain I was walking into something else.

Why do you feel that your notice period would prohibit you from applying from new roles? 12wks isn't that exceptional and many employers wouldn't force you to work the duration of it.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Personally I would not be quitting a job in the current environment unless I was almost certain I was walking into something else.

Why do you feel that your notice period would prohibit you from applying from new roles? 12wks isn't that exceptional and many employers wouldn't force you to work the duration of it.

Thanks for replying. I’m worried about the notice period because every job I look at normally states they are looking to hire either immediately or within the next few weeks. I just don’t think any job will wait 12 weeks for a junior role. I just really don’t like my new job and am no good at it.

There is a chance I could be let go anyway so maybe it’s in my best interest to leave on my own terms before I am pushed...
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for replying. I’m worried about the notice period because every job I look at normally states they are looking to hire either immediately or within the next few weeks. I just don’t think any job will wait 12 weeks for a junior role. I just really don’t like my new job and am no good at it.

There is a chance I could be let go anyway so maybe it’s in my best interest to leave on my own terms before I am pushed...

The current role doesn't sound like it is suiting you, so yes you should be looking elsewhere. In the current market it is a bit of a risk, but only you know your financial position and how much of a deal the dream role you have your eye is.

Re: Notice period, remember you may have leave to deduct leave from the 12 weeks as well. If you get to the point where you are offered a position, most places aren't going to go further down the list just because you can only start a few weeks later than they would ideally like. Again, your decision as to whether you think this adds more risk than you'd like.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
The current role doesn't sound like it is suiting you, so yes you should be looking elsewhere. In the current market it is a bit of a risk, but only you know your financial position and how much of a deal the dream role you have your eye is.

Re: Notice period, remember you may have leave to deduct leave from the 12 weeks as well. If you get to the point where you are offered a position, most places aren't going to go further down the list just because you can only start a few weeks later than they would ideally like. Again, your decision as to whether you think this adds more risk than you'd like.

My financial position is okay. I recently inherited a sum of money and moved back to my parents to save paying rent. So no outings to worry about - I contribute to the bills and help around the house but that’s it.

I see what you are saying on the notice period. It’s just every job I’m interested in wants someone with a notice period of less than 12 weeks so I won’t even be able to apply for any job in my industry, much less get to the point where I have an offer. I’d be turned down at either the sift or interview stage.

Thank you for taking the time to reply btw :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
My financial position is okay. I recently inherited a sum of money and moved back to my parents to save paying rent. So no outings to worry about - I contribute to the bills and help around the house but that’s it.

I see what you are saying on the notice period. It’s just every job I’m interested in wants someone with a notice period of less than 12 weeks so I won’t even be able to apply for any job in my industry, much less get to the point where I have an offer. I’d be turned down at either the sift or interview stage.

Thank you for taking the time to reply btw :smile:

In that case it sounds like your mind is half made up and there is less risk in taking a punt on your aspirational job. I can't tell you to go for it but I think you've thought it through sensibly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending