The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeh theres me, razormylight (deferred)...Kirsten...and someone else I think! Which unis have u applied to?
Reply 2
ReJ
OP
Ah thought I was never going to get a reply :-)

I'm already at uni, Queen's University in Belfast. Have you just applied then?
My friend is going to study architecture after her gap year, so is starting in 2006. She has put Sheffield as first choice.
Reply 4
Actually I'm also here applying for Architecture but no news from any uni...still waiting for answers...
cheers:wink:
Reply 5
ReJ
OP
Be prepared for some mighty hard work! Its all good tho...
ReJ
Just being nosy really... anyone else here study architecture at uni? Or planning to even...?

Am actually thinking about it but not too sure, I visited an architecture office for my work experience and got to see some of the apartments and houses they've done (problem is they went a bit into architectural design...) and loved it but I'm not sure the work itself is something that could keep me interested...

If you're doing architecture could you tell me a bit more about the course itself and all the subjects in it... I think I've got too general an idea to really make a decision
Reply 7
Hey I’ve already been mention in this post but yeah I'm going to study Architecture @ Lincoln. Really looking forward to it. I just want to get their now and forget about A-levels!!!!

ReJ: If you don't mind I have a question for you, the fact you are already studying. I am looking at whether to buy a desktop or a laptop. Is a laptop worth it, do you use it in the studio's etc. Cheers for any help!
ReJ
Ah thought I was never going to get a reply :-)

I'm already at uni, Queen's University in Belfast. Have you just applied then?

Yeh already applied (sorry for this LATE reply), firm choice either nottingham or newcastle...still don't know which :s. So how are u finding the course in belfast? better/worse than expected?
Reply 9
Studying Architecture at Huddersfield Uni at the mo.
Have to agree with whoever it was saying about being prepared to work!
Only in 1st yr and I've been thrown assignments and projects to work on nearly every week! :frown:
Reply 10
Hi i have applied to do architecture. I am really looking forward to it. just hope i get the grades to get started on that 7 year slog this year.
hi!i am going to uni in 2005 to study architecture..
Edinburgh-Rejected
Newcastle-Rejected
UCL-interview-offer bbb!!!!!!
Cardiff-offer aab!!!!!
East London-unconditional!!
Oxford brookes-offer bbb
im plannin to do architecture engineering.. but have no clue at all
Reply 13
I'm studying Architecture at the University of Portsmouth.

It's a hell of a lot of work - not really hard work, but there's just a lot of work to get done..
Reply 14
woo me, i am!!!
starting in 2006 (hopefully) like sweetymango said. i just have to get the grades now.
soooo looking forward to it. i'm going to either Bath or Newcastle :p:
Reply 15
is architecture an intersting course to take? i mean is it likely u will get bored in the middle?
Reply 16
i'm hoping i won't get bored, but after getting the first degree in architecture you can go into plenty of other things other than continue and become a chartered architect. My backup career is likely to be something in design, or maybe teaching
nemo199
is architecture an intersting course to take? i mean is it likely u will get bored in the middle?

who knows? I think its a choice between getting bored in the middle of your architecture course, or doing a shorter degree and getting bored after a few years of work. ultimately i think it depends on your personality and if you've got a clear vision. its pretty easy to do a short degree with not much work and at the end of it start a job which holds your attention for only a few years.
Reply 18
i think its probably the most interesting of all.

in maths or science, your given a problem, a question for example. Often the answer is a fixed answer, 2+2 = 4 , it cant be changed (in most cases). But with architecture its differnt. you solve the problem, your way, you get the chance to create the answer, you can put a bit of you in the answer, often the answer can always be improved. Architecture, allows you to be creative, and think unlike any of the other subjects. If you think your going to get bored you will, for me architecture will never be boring.

not only are you in a position to affect one persons life, but you often affect everyones life every day. your decisions, your designs, make the difference. And the immense satisfaction of seeing something in your mind, that no one else can see, becoming real, becoming built, and standing for centuries to come is just amazing.
ArchiBoi
Architecture, allows you to be creative, and think unlike any of the other subjects.

In fairness - I think aside from pure science subjects, most arts degrees allow you to demonstrate your creativity - there is no one right answer for a whole host of subjects throughout the range of social sciences.

Latest

Trending

Trending