The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i think thers slightly more to architecture, and its life than simply a picture or sculpture. i think this is reflected in its course length. yes other subjects allow to be creative, but you are limited to a piece of paper, or indeed some kind of scultpure that serves no real purpose.
Reply 21
I agree with archiboi, i dont think its fair to compare art like this. the original idea of this thread was about the idea of getting board. archiboi gave a good and valid statement on why architecture is not boring, and someone has to be "different"
broady98uk
I agree with archiboi, i dont think its fair to compare art like this. the original idea of this thread was about the idea of getting board. archiboi gave a good and valid statement on why architecture is not boring, and someone has to be "different"

Sorry - I'm not sure if this meant to be a veiled (or not so veiled) dig at me - but I was purely trying to highlight that a lot of subjects aren't just mechanical / pure science - there are a range of social sciences whereby you have the opportunity to influence policy / politics / social history and that I imagine can be pretty satisfying (and therefore not boring) for those involved. I just think we have to be careful not to start going along the lines of "my course / career is better (less boring) than your career" - its horses for courses, people who get bored easily exist across the world, I don't think its a product of the course, it depends on the person.
Reply 23
does anyone have an idea of what a typical architect earns?

and can anyone provide any advice on architecture abroad.. i am going to leave the UK for chicago, once graduated, does RIBA qualifications still contain the same weighting in the US?
ArchiBoi
does anyone have an idea of what a typical architect earns?

and can anyone provide any advice on architecture abroad.. i am going to leave the UK for chicago, once graduated, does RIBA qualifications still contain the same weighting in the US?

I think salaries vary hugely depending on the type of work you are doing, to generalise would be misleading. they tried to upset everyone with stories at sheffield of salaries around £25k after qualifying, but equally I know architects who are self-employed (albeit after 10+ years) who are turning in £150K+ a year - not hard to do if you're taking 10% of a project's value and you get a few chunky projects.

I would definitely email RIBA if I were you about working in the US, as I have some doubts as to the recognition a UK qualification would get there - if you want to work in chicago it might be worth transferring to a US school sooner rather than later.
Reply 25
can any existing architecture student suggest whether you would need a laptop or computer to take with you to uni? would you really use it? :confused:

also what sort of other architecture related stuff might you need?
Reply 26
I think it would grately help if you have your own laptop. Although the university might have tons of computers, if you have your own laptop you get the convenience of doing work in your room. I'm getting one before I go.

I want to do part time work there but I'm a bit worried about architecture students being so busy and all. I need the extra money, but I dont want to compromise with my studies. So for those who are already doing architecture, do you think 15-20 hours of work a week is too much?
Reply 27
Where's scarlett_ibis when you need her, she'd be able to answer these questions!!!
Reply 28
hey, what A levels are good for getting into a good architecture? I havent done gcse art but ive done technology &design. At the mo im doing AS levels (technology&design, ICT, Biology and chemistry (dropping)). I know that i will have to go for an interview but do i have a hope in hell of getting in? I can possibly use my t.d coursework for the interview and i do have a weeks experiance in an architects office. HELP!
Reply 29
sticky123
hey, what A levels are good for getting into a good architecture? I havent done gcse art but ive done technology &design. At the mo im doing AS levels (technology&design, ICT, Biology and chemistry (dropping)). I know that i will have to go for an interview but do i have a hope in hell of getting in? I can possibly use my t.d coursework for the interview and i do have a weeks experiance in an architects office. HELP!

well i did maths, physics(AS), business studies & design and technology.
i reckon these subject were pretty good as they are looking for a range of stuff. they would obviously like art and any other design subject. they would also probably prefer maths and possibly physics.
however i know some people that have done irrelevant subject to architecture but still got interviews and offers.
the work experience would also help a lot because it shows that you are interested in it. if you do get the work experience make sure you get examples of work that you did as they like to see it in interviews (which i didn't find out until after the interview, which by then it was too late!).
hope this helps! :smile:
r1sh1_165
can any existing architecture student suggest whether you would need a laptop or computer to take with you to uni? would you really use it? :confused:

I'd have said definitely yes. You need to know how to use Photoshop for rendering your models in settings, maybe a 3d modelling software like Form Z, Rhino, Sketchup. If you can get your hands on a CAD application then that's good - Microstation I think is cheap but very limited. I'm using Allplan at the moment which is pretty nifty. You will also likely need software like Premiere / any movie editing software for your presentations. Without a laptop I think its pretty tough, even if you just need it for storing and manipulating digital photos. Get one would be my advice based on my experience.
Reply 31
jrhartley
I'd have said definitely yes. You need to know how to use Photoshop for rendering your models in settings, maybe a 3d modelling software like Form Z, Rhino, Sketchup. If you can get your hands on a CAD application then that's good - Microstation I think is cheap but very limited. I'm using Allplan at the moment which is pretty nifty. You will also likely need software like Premiere / any movie editing software for your presentations. Without a laptop I think its pretty tough, even if you just need it for storing and manipulating digital photos. Get one would be my advice based on my experience.

thanks for that, i reckon i probably jus get a relatively cheap one that will get me through the years, don't want to break the bank! :redface:

where are you studying, you enjoying it?
r1sh1_165
where are you studying, you enjoying it?

Nowhere yet - start at Cardiff in September.
Reply 33
r1sh1_165

Heck yes! The decision you should be making is whether you should get a Mac or a PC..

There are disadvantages and advantages for both, but I recommend you wait until you start your course and see what your School of Architecture recommends :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending