The Student Room Group

18 year old need to gain weight

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Bro it is simple, I can give u a program, a list of videos that show you how to do the exercises, anything man. Wear a hoodie it doesn't matter.

I know how to use everything more or less, and growing up i was really a sporty guy, even tho i felt bad about doing it sometimes in the dressing room with the team etc, i was changing clothes faster than the speed of light etc haha, my point, i know training and stuff. In school before we had gym in our PE class or whatever it's called here in english, and we hit it few times. Everytime i was the only one with a hoodie etc, i felt so weird lol. But i learned how to use everything and stuff and how to do stuff safely.

edit: Really appreciate u once again man, just have to put it out there, really, thanks for spending your time on helping me, means ALOT
Original post by skajkk
I know how to use everything more or less, and growing up i was really a sporty guy, even tho i felt bad about doing it sometimes in the dressing room with the team etc, i was changing clothes faster than the speed of light etc haha, my point, i know training and stuff. In school before we had gym in our PE class or whatever it's called here in english, and we hit it few times. Everytime i was the only one with a hoodie etc, i felt so weird lol. But i learned how to use everything and stuff and how to do stuff safely.

edit: Really appreciate u once again man, just have to put it out there, really, thanks for spending your time on helping me, means ALOT

Bro I don't see the problem then, once you go once it will be very easy to keep going.
Reply 42
Bro I don't see the problem then, once you go once it will be very easy to keep going.

Actually man i just might, thanks for pushing me. I know a 24/7 gym near me and maybe it's gonna be abit empty during late evenings and i'll abuse that and go at the time less people are likely to be there. I'm just afraid going in there late night and some guy you know is there but don't talk to and there is this stalemate, damn that'd suck lol
Original post by skajkk
Actually man i just might, thanks for pushing me. I know a 24/7 gym near me and maybe it's gonna be abit empty during late evenings and i'll abuse that and go at the time less people are likely to be there. I'm just afraid going in there late night and some guy you know is there but don't talk to and there is this stalemate, damn that'd suck lol

Yea bro thats also good bc all the machines and racks will be free.
Reply 44
Yea bro thats also good bc all the machines and racks will be free.

Yeah i have a pretty close friend that goes to that gym, he really wants me to gym with him, and i guess, maybe i should take the opportunity? I mean i always say no cuz " i'm to lazy" " i don't feel comfortable" etc, but i guess maybe it would be good, going with a friend aswell, he won't judge. And he likes going there late night so it actually might be perfect now that i think about it, whatcha reckon?
Original post by skajkk
Yeah i have a pretty close friend that goes to that gym, he really wants me to gym with him, and i guess, maybe i should take the opportunity? I mean i always say no cuz " i'm to lazy" " i don't feel comfortable" etc, but i guess maybe it would be good, going with a friend aswell, he won't judge. And he likes going there late night so it actually might be perfect now that i think about it, whatcha reckon?

Yea that's literally perfect plus he can distract you from your irrational thoughts.
Reply 46
Yea that's literally perfect plus he can distract you from your irrational thoughts.

I hit him up asking how many people usually there around 11-12 o clock in the evening / night. I'll await and response and i'll actually consider it. I will head to bed now and come back tomorrow to see if i get anymore tips from other people here or questions to answer.
Thanks alot <3
Original post by skajkk
I hit him up asking how many people usually there around 11-12 o clock in the evening / night. I'll await and response and i'll actually consider it. I will head to bed now and come back tomorrow to see if i get anymore tips from other people here or questions to answer.
Thanks alot <3

If you have any questions, ask.
Reply 48
Original post by skajkk
Yeah, thanks for the tip, i might look into that later. As of now i have bought gainer so it will last me for about a month to begin with, to see what flavors etc i like. The money isn't a problem to pay for the gainer, and to be honest, it tastes pretty good and it isn't to fat at all, it's kinda perfect. But i will later try your mix, and also the olive oil tip. Thanks!
And yeah, the creatine part isn't necessary for me as of now, i need to just gain some pure weight / fat whatever before i start working out, as i said, i am really waaaay to skinny, you couldn't imagine. When i gained some kilos i'll feel more comfortable to going to the gym and working out properly and eating more and more.

A couple of points, gainers are basically empty calories, they aren't particularly good for you.

I want to stress the gym point - I understand you may be feeling uncomfortable but at a normal commercial gym (I use pure gym) there are loads of different body types. Work out now because otherwise you will have to do more work later to remove the fat which is harder. If you're bulking you will still put on mass and *won't* look particularly muscly.

Edit: I have anxiety/depression btw and going to the gym has been an amazing thing for me, I've never ran into anyone that's been unsupportive, everyone at the gym wants to help you! This is my experience over the past year working out in Hong Kong, Seoul, my university and home town, never had a bad experience.

Also work out in what you want - loads of people wear hoodies, tank tops, t shirt (this is what I do). You won't be out of place.

There won't be many people around 11. If you need to go this late do it. Anything that gets you out. I'm 21 now n wish I started at your age.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by finn61
A couple of points, gainers are basically empty calories, they aren't particularly good for you.

I want to stress the gym point - I understand you may be feeling uncomfortable but at a normal commercial gym (I use pure gym) there are loads of different body types. Work out now because otherwise you will have to do more work later to remove the fat which is harder. If you're bulking you will still put on mass and *won't* look particularly muscly.

Edit: I have anxiety/depression btw and going to the gym has been an amazing thing for me, I've never ran into anyone that's been unsupportive, everyone at the gym wants to help you! This is my experience over the past year working out in Hong Kong, Seoul, my university and home town, never had a bad experience.

Also work out in what you want - loads of people wear hoodies, tank tops, t shirt (this is what I do). You won't be out of place.

There won't be many people around 11. If you need to go this late do it. Anything that gets you out. I'm 21 now n wish I started at your age.

Yeah thanks for explaining and being supportive, i really wanna hit the gym but yeah as i mentioned i'm just anxious about it. I'm gonna try to get into it and convince myself... I really think that going to the gym will also help me mentally and with my depression aswell, it's only positive really unless maybe gaining weight slower and being anxious about going there. But i'll try to get into it man, thanks
Reply 50
Original post by skajkk
Yeah thanks for explaining and being supportive, i really wanna hit the gym but yeah as i mentioned i'm just anxious about it. I'm gonna try to get into it and convince myself... I really think that going to the gym will also help me mentally and with my depression aswell, it's only positive really unless maybe gaining weight slower and being anxious about going there. But i'll try to get into it man, thanks

Good luck to you mate, if you decide you want to go to the gym I have a programme that works really well for me and I'd be happy to share it with you so dm me!
Reply 51
Original post by skajkk
I have seen him on youtube, i have been looking around alot to get some motivation and tips, to realize it's actually possible if i really wanna achieve it.
With how i have eaten the last 2 days since i started, i am 100% sure i am in the calorie surplus. Im home all day, because of school stuff from home, when i go out it's only for hanging with friends or going to the store, nothing that burns calories much. I have more or less felt full the whole days, and when i'm not im starting to feel abit hungry, which is good i suppose? It feels like my appetite is a bit better, when i'm not full i wanna eat something, which i'm not really used to, i'm used to just skipping eating and wait until dinner, or just grab some small snack.
I find it really hard to count calories, i don't know what to choose in amount of grams for example when making sandwiches and stuff it's just confusing to me. But i think on a normal day with this gainer i land on about 2800-3500 kcal average, i really think that should be enough to gain weight for some really skinny dude just sitting home all days, shouldn't it be? I really want more of your advice, if u can let me contact you somewhere private, means alot dude really appreciate it.

OK but are you training bro, coz that's gonna help tear your muscle fibres and the protein you consume from your meals will grow and repair those fibres and increase your muscle mass. I understand that gyms may be closed in you area but you can do calisthenics at home or outside and build good muscle
maybe talk to your doctor if you're really worried about it, I was super skinny when I was 16 even though I was eating loads (amongst other symptoms too though lol) and they found out I had a thyroid problem 😂 It's probably nothing to worry about and you're probably perfectly healthy, like some people ARE just naturally really slim, but if it's making your self-conscious or you're feeling any other symptoms you could try seeing if your GP has any advice?
Reply 53
If you have any questions, ask.

Hey!! Update!
I got a gym membership with my friend i was talking about, worked out 2 days in a row and rested this day. Will see if my muscles aren't sore anymore tomorrow and i'll go hit it again.
If i still feel abit sore ( i did workout my whole body both days, second day i was abit sore but worked out again, with less weight and intensity tho, felt good, but don't wanna workout to much on sore muscles, not good )
do you think it's fine for me to still workout a bit less intense? I really like going there and to be real i just wanna workout more and more, but ofcourse i can't kill my gains by going when being to sore. To what degree can i workout, on a sore scale that means. Is it fine to go all in on a sesh, even tho i feel a lilbit sore?
Original post by skajkk
Hey!! Update!
I got a gym membership with my friend i was talking about, worked out 2 days in a row and rested this day. Will see if my muscles aren't sore anymore tomorrow and i'll go hit it again.
If i still feel abit sore ( i did workout my whole body both days, second day i was abit sore but worked out again, with less weight and intensity tho, felt good, but don't wanna workout to much on sore muscles, not good )
do you think it's fine for me to still workout a bit less intense? I really like going there and to be real i just wanna workout more and more, but ofcourse i can't kill my gains by going when being to sore. To what degree can i workout, on a sore scale that means. Is it fine to go all in on a sesh, even tho i feel a lilbit sore?

Great man! So happy to hear that bro. I will link a video that talks about working out while sore. Also how many days a week are you gonna go to the gym? I can link a proper program too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv6i2FEzXvM&ab_channel=PictureFit
Reply 55
Great man! So happy to hear that bro. I will link a video that talks about working out while sore. Also how many days a week are you gonna go to the gym? I can link a proper program too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv6i2FEzXvM&ab_channel=PictureFit

I don't have a problem going to the gym 5 days a week, just gonna have to get going and make my body used to it so i won't be sore everytime, i wanna go today but i still feel a little bit sore, i don't know if i should go or not, i really want to but idk if it will kill my gains
Reply 56
Just watched the video, i guess i should be fine. I don't have joint pains i think, as far as i'm concerned what joint pain is, so it should be fine. I'll hit it later on! :biggrin:
Original post by skajkk
I don't have a problem going to the gym 5 days a week, just gonna have to get going and make my body used to it so i won't be sore everytime, i wanna go today but i still feel a little bit sore, i don't know if i should go or not, i really want to but idk if it will kill my gains

here ya go
Reply 58
here ya go

just came back from the gym an hour ago, feels great!! I'll check out that program later on, thanks. Damn it feels good going there
Original post by skajkk
just came back from the gym an hour ago, feels great!! I'll check out that program later on, thanks. Damn it feels good going there

I see great potential in you kid.

Quick Reply

Latest