The Student Room Group

applying with less than the minimum requirements

Hi guys, as the title of this thread says, I have a question concerning applying with less than the minimum requirements. I would like to apply to LSE, and all the courses that I'm interested in either require 36 or 37 IB points, but I only have 35. This is actually similar with many other universities that I want to apply to. Should I even bother to apply, or do I maybe have pretty good chances because it's only 1 (2) points?

Also: How important is the personal statement compared to the grades? Can I compensate the lack of 1 (2) points with a killer personal statement?

Thanks for your help.
Reply 1
I think it depends how competative the course is. If its competative they will look for anything to descriminate between candiadtes.
Reply 2
If they ask for something which you don't have then you won't get an offer unless they're majorly under subscribed, which a university like LSE won't be!
Reply 3
Sorry, but I think you'll have to find places wanting 35 or less for their courses. All courses at LSE have a crazy number of applicants fighting for places, chances are there will be more people expecting the right grades [the generic term, covering all exam results] than places, so someone who doesn't have the right grades will be at a severe disadvantage.
Reply 4
Hmm, thanks for your answers. However, what I forgot to mention: I am already enrolled at a university. Is there any chance that I can compensate my missing points with really excellent university grades? Or do those grades not matter at all?
Don't even bother: Waste of your time. waste of their time, and most importantly, waste of ink.
bonne chance!

(you're really gonna need it lol)
Reply 7
Dr. Ofxo
Hmm, thanks for your answers. However, what I forgot to mention: I am already enrolled at a university. Is there any chance that I can compensate my missing points with really excellent university grades? Or do those grades not matter at all?

what university? If you can get an excellent reference and have good first year results then it may be worth a shot.
Reply 8
I know many people who got rejected by LSE with 40+ points (some even with 45). You should aim for something more realistic, there are so many other unis out there that are just as good but less overhyped.
Reply 9
bodybuilder22
Don't even bother: Waste of your time. waste of their time, and most importantly, waste of ink.

online?
Reply 10
Call the universities up to see if its worth applying, they would usually tell you then and there if you have a shot, just don't bother applying without taking to them first though - many just flat out reject the ones that don't meet the grades, no matter how good the rest of the application is.

Latest

Trending

Trending