The Student Room Group

Masters application: low grades on the first and second years.

I had a retake exam during my first year and was given 40%, as it was a capped retake. Then, in my second year, I received 46 for one module. Overall, I have 68 and 65 for the first and second years, respectively. I want to apply for a master's and will have to send the transcripts for the first two years (I am applying in the middle of the third year, so I will not have results for that year). The masters I am applying to are pretty competitive, but they ask for a minimum of an upper-second class (higher than 60). So, while I meet the minimum requirements, I am still worried that 40 in the first year and 46 in the second will significantly damage my application. Or do master's applications only care about overall grades?
Original post by SHH2243
I had a retake exam during my first year and was given 40%, as it was a capped retake. Then, in my second year, I received 46 for one module. Overall, I have 68 and 65 for the first and second years, respectively. I want to apply for a master's and will have to send the transcripts for the first two years (I am applying in the middle of the third year, so I will not have results for that year). The masters I am applying to are pretty competitive, but they ask for a minimum of an upper-second class (higher than 60). So, while I meet the minimum requirements, I am still worried that 40 in the first year and 46 in the second will significantly damage my application. Or do master's applications only care about overall grades?

Hi @SHH2243 :smile: I'd say generally speaking universities will be looking for your overall classification, although if you are applying to particularly competitive areas it's worth checking in with the admissions teams just to check if there's anything you should be aware of. You could also ask what's likely to make your application more competitive.

Do your chosen universities have PG Open Days coming up? Are they running any webinars where you could ask these sorts of questions maybe?

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2
The overall classification is the first thing they look at, but they will absolutely care about individual units like this and might even ask you about them - especially at the bigger universities. They look at the whole transcript, for obvious reasons. There is thus a chance that low marks make you less competitive, especially against people with a first.

For some disciplines, they even specify that you must have studied, for example, 'intermediate macroeconomics' and so they will really focus on grades for those specified units. You should be aware of that stuff if it is in place - they don't make a secret of it.

There's also the possibility that they might not ask about it at all.

The only solution, insofar as there is one, is to do as well as you can in third year and to be able to succinctly explain the previous results: what went wrong, why, and how you fixed it.

Don't let any of this put you off. I have known students with failed unit resits go on to Master's at big universities. Just roll with the punches and give it your best.
gjd800 is spot on as always.

They will still look at the whole transcript, but the'll consider it in context; is there an overall trend, are the wobbly modules relevant etc.

I would still apply as ultimately there is nothing you can do about it and you are expected to meet the overall requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending