The Student Room Group
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website

'Shocking' Initiation Ceremonies at Gloucester University

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7647099.stm

BBC
The University of Gloucestershire says it will investigate after the BBC obtained footage of students taking part in a bizarre initiation rite.

The secretly-filmed video shows students with bags over their heads, drinking and vomiting.

A university spokesman said a formal inquiry was being launched into alleged "bullying and intimidation" during initiation ceremonies.

The National Union of Students has called for a ban on initiations.

Initiation ceremonies have become traditional in UK universities and are normally organised by student sport clubs for first-year undergraduates.

Nazi-style uniform

The video obtained by the BBC shows a group of University of Gloucestershire students lined up against a wall with white plastic bags over their heads.

Another student, dressed in a Nazi-style uniform, is seen to encourage them to drink. Several students then vomit onto the ground before being paraded though the streets.

We had to put matches in private inappropriate areas and set them on fire whilst drinking more beer

University of Gloucestershire student Nick Levy

One student tells of her initiation

University of Gloucestershire spokesman Paul Drake said: "We have launched a formal inquiry after the BBC's investigation.

"We are shocked by the content of this film and take the issue of intimidation and bullying during initiation ceremonies extremely seriously".

He said disciplinary action could be brought against those who were found to be leading initiation ceremonies.

Excessive drinking

Details of initiations are meant to be kept secret but they normally involve an organised ritual or evening which involves excessive drinking and having to take part in tasks and follow strict orders.

University of Gloucestershire students told the BBC that during the ceremonies, first-year students are made to do "anything you are told" by the senior students.

One, 20-year-old Natalie Sutton, said that during her hockey initiation ceremony she was forced to put fish in her bra and then eat it.

She added: "I had to go to the toilet in a bucket in a dark basement, which was full of other people's urine. People were crying and vomiting."

Another, Nick Levy, said that during his ceremony he was told to drink excessively and then run naked through Cheltenham.

He added: "We had to put matches in private, inappropriate areas and set them on fire whilst drinking more beer. I did it to be accepted by the older guys at the time.

"It was a bit tormenting, but if you didn't do it you would get called a wuss".

Other students blame bizarre initiation rites as a factor putting off students who might otherwise join university sports teams.

Deaths

While most initiation ceremonies result in no more than embarrassment and a hangover the next morning, there have been at least three deaths of British students which have been linked to initiation ceremonies.

In 2006, 18-year-old Gavin Britton died after attending a golf initiation ceremony at Exeter University. His father, Ian, later blamed his son's death on social pressure to drink far beyond safe limits.

Another student, 18-year-old Alex Doji, died in an initiation ceremony at Staffordshire University after choking on his own vomit in 2003.

The National Union of Students has called for a total ban on initiation ceremonies in UK universities.

NUS President Wes Streeting told BBC News: "We are totally opposed to student initiations.

"They put students at serious risk and exclude students who don't want to take part in that binge-drinking culture."

Discuss. Anyone encountered anything like this before? Do you condemn it?

Scroll to see replies

Bloody hell. Hope I don't have to do anything like that. :s-smilie:
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website
Reply 2
Our 'initiation ceremony' is a four legged (3 people) pub crawl with forfeits at each pub. Nothing major, just swapping clothes, taking a swig of tabasco sauce, face paint etc. Noone is forced to do it and it is a fun way to join the club. I thought so when I did it anyway.
Reply 3
I think that would definitely make me think twice about joining a sports team. :frown:
Reply 4
I wonder how much it goes on at other universities. I always thought it would be light hearted stuff and was looking forward to it. Just hope the uni I end up in doesn't have stuff like this.
Reply 5
mine was touch cup
Reply 6
These primitive beings should've been wiped out a long time ago.
Lolz. Not a very big "ceremony", is it?

I'm not going to be part of any club with depraved initiation rituals. The few retards who do join in such crap will remain a minority, hopefully. And forced fraternity/sorority initiation rituals are much more prevalent in the US.

Dignity is worth more than "acceptance" and popularity.
Reply 8
I think that footage is staged. I'm finding it hard to believe that people would seriously do that.
Reply 9
Looking at the BBC news website, I came across this story:

"The University of Gloucestershire says it will investigate after the BBC obtained footage of students taking part in a bizarre initiation rite.

The secretly-filmed video shows students with bags over their heads, drinking and vomiting.

The video obtained by the BBC shows a group of University of Gloucestershire students lined up against a wall with white plastic bags over their heads.

Another student, dressed in a Nazi-style uniform, is seen to encourage them to drink. Several students then vomit onto the ground before being paraded though the streets.

The National Union of Students has called for a ban on initiations."

Has anyone taken part in one of these "ceremonies"? Does this type of thing happen at all universities? I find it quite disturbing.
Reply 10
I wouldn't call that a ceremony, more just a Wednesday night.

Actually, I'm ******* glad this sort of stuff still exists, I thought most students had turned into frightened girls.
Reply 11
Where's your sense of adventure?
Reply 12
ooze
Our 'initiation ceremony' is a four legged (3 people) pub crawl with forfeits at each pub. Nothing major, just swapping clothes, taking a swig of tabasco sauce, face paint etc. Noone is forced to do it and it is a fun way to join the club. I thought so when I did it anyway.

Drinking face paint? Dude.

Personally, I don't really like the extremes that some initiations go to. It's pretty nasty, and generally anti-social.

However, everyone who goes to university is an adult, and can make their own mind up about whether they want to take part. You never have to drink more than you feel comfortable with, and it's actually illegal for you to be pressured further than feels like "a bit of fun" e.g. with serious threats or physical force.

MSB
I think that footage is staged. I'm finding it hard to believe that people would seriously do that.

I've seen worse than that video. It's pretty tame to be honest. Consider that they are probably all very drunk and are in a mindset to do what anyone tells them to do.
MSB

O RLY?

http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_query=initiation+frat&search_type=&aq=3&oq=Initiation
Reply 14

Oh, that proves otherwise, without a doubt.
Utterly disgusting, and as far as I know most universities have already banned this kind of thing.
Reply 16

One of the more bizarre "rites of passage", making you feel that you have left mummy & daddy & now have your own mind and identity.

Does your Uni offer any such thing?

Mine was staying up all night the first night, talking & drinking moderately.
Reply 17
Well after this these things will be banned! I was gona start a thread having read this first thing but thought someone must have done so! Still i dont think that video is bad at all and we did much worse on a average night out.
Reply 19
Well, I would think the mere thought of being forced to throw up on yourself would put people off, but apparently not...

Latest

Trending

Trending