The Student Room Group

Why are last years graduates only having ceremonies now?

This is probably a random question but my uni is having awards ceremonies this week for the 2022 cohort, why is this? Why have they had to wait a year for their graduation? I’m just curious aha

Thanks
Original post by lifestartsnow.x
This is probably a random question but my uni is having awards ceremonies this week for the 2022 cohort, why is this? Why have they had to wait a year for their graduation? I’m just curious aha

Thanks

I don't know which university you're at, and so whether special circumstances might apply there. Equally, I'm not entirely sure which group of students you're referring to. So the below might not actually be an accurate answer to your question. However, ...

There was a marking and assessment boycott last year (alongside other forms of industrial action) which meant that many students didn't have their final year assessments marked, or didn't have them marked in time for a graduation ceremony at a more traditional time of year. Essentially, these students didn't know they'd graduated at the time.
to add to ^ marking is more complex than a tutor reads your assignment and gives it a grade

The assignments will need to be second marked and/or moderated (esp those on grade boundaries) all marks then have to be approved by some sort of Academic Board, its (usually) only a tick box exercise but a necessary step in the process that takes more time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending