The Student Room Group

calling all shortlisted candidates for john locke essay comp: join the chat!

Hi all, I believe the shortlist for the John Locke essay competition should be out for everyone(?) I'm just thinking we can start like a mini group chat here among shortlisted candidates, especially for those who're planning on going to Oxford in person in Sept, so we can get to know each other beforehand maybe hahaa

I'll introduce myself first: I'm shortlisted for the politics category and I'm from Hong Kong:smile:

Scroll to see replies

politics category from the us here!
hi I was shortlisted for law and I live in Singapore!
John Locke? I assume not the guy from lost tv series
Hey I was shortlisted for History and I’m from India
I was shortlisted for law as well and I'm from Germany. I did question 1 (does prison work?) - anybody interested in exchanging essays?
Hello! I’m from the US and was shortlisted for the theology category.
Guys how many of you are going to Oxford this Sept?
I am! (17th sep for the law prize)
I’m not 100% sure, but I’m hoping I’ll be able to attend! I think I will in the end, but I still have to plan things out.
that's really cool! i did politics for this comp but im acc most interested in philosophy, and kinda for theology tho I've never really had much of a chance to look into it. which que did u do?
Original post by StudyGhost
Hello! I’m from the US and was shortlisted for the theology category.
Original post by waff1echild
that's really cool! i did politics for this comp but im acc most interested in philosophy, and kinda for theology tho I've never really had much of a chance to look into it. which que did u do?

That’s awesome! Politics is cool and I was actually considering tackling the last question, but it’s honestly not really my forte so I opted out. What question did you choose?

As for philosophy, it’s also a difficult subject, but I find it so fascinating that I love taking on its challenges. I haven’t met many people who are into it, so I’m glad to see someone else who likes it as well! I would’ve done a question for the philosophy section, but there wasn’t enough time to do one and I wanted to focus my attention on my theology essay. I took on the first question, “why would God be so coy?” so that kept me busy for a few weeks haha.
Reply 12
Hi, I did Junior and I’m from England
Original post by StudyGhost
That’s awesome! Politics is cool and I was actually considering tackling the last question, but it’s honestly not really my forte so I opted out. What question did you choose?

As for philosophy, it’s also a difficult subject, but I find it so fascinating that I love taking on its challenges. I haven’t met many people who are into it, so I’m glad to see someone else who likes it as well! I would’ve done a question for the philosophy section, but there wasn’t enough time to do one and I wanted to focus my attention on my theology essay. I took on the first question, “why would God be so coy?” so that kept me busy for a few weeks haha.

i did the question 'is there such a thing as a common good?' and yes, i'd very much agree that philosophy is a difficult subject, yet it is also super interesting personally.

ohh! i also took a look at the 'why would god be so coy?" question, it seems so interesting but too big brain for me ahhaa. dm me if u'd like to chat hehee
Original post by DoNotDisturb15

Likewise! 10th for the History Prize!
sorry if this is a stupid question but what does '17th sep' refer to

Original post by waff1echild
sorry if this is a stupid question but what does '17th sep' refer to

well we're not all invited to oxford at the same time. they split up the weekends into different categories and since I was shortlisted for law, my invitation is for September 17th.
Original post by Souhardya De
Guys how many of you are going to Oxford this Sept?

I hope to! but ultimately it’ll depend on my exam timetable cause my prelims actually falls on the same week

I did law too! which qn did you attempt
I was shortlisted for law as well and I'm from Germany. I did question 1 (does prison work?) - anybody interested in exchanging essays?

hi! i’m interested

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending